Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2011, 10:15 pm

I don't mind writing to people, and while I don't love talking to people in person, it's so much less frightening than calling someone on the phone. Talking on the phone has always been nerve racking for me. Is that just me, or is it common for someone with Aspergers?

~ Legend of the Legendary Heroes

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 10:31 pm

I think it's fairly common in Aspies. I too hate talking on the phone. I have even less of an idea what people are trying to say over the phone because I can't see facial expressions or gestures. If it is someone I know quite well I have less of a problem because usually I know their intonations well enough to understand if they are joking or not.

It's also frustrating because I often slur my words so strangers can rarely understand me on the phone. And then I get nervous because I am afraid they won't understand me and that just makes the situation worse.

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2011, 10:32 pm

Yeah, I hate talking on the phone too.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

I don't like it either, especially if it's someone I don't know well. I get horribly anxious if I have to "cold call" someone I don't know well, especially if I have to ask them for something. Ugh.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

silver22
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm

Hate phone calls too and usually procrastinate for long periods when it comes to calling. Usually if the call is not absolutely required I end up not calling at all. I pretty much only talk to my parents when it comes to personal calls.

I've found I have great difficulty concentrating on phone conversation, and if there is any other noise around I tend to focus on it and lose track of the conversation. I found this out when I worked in a job around other people in a cubicle, making lots of phone calls. I also have difficulty remembering conversation I have heard. I have to write the information down and look at it to memorise it.

ParadoxicalVoid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm

I absolutely hate talking on the phone. It's pretty much impossible for me to talk to someone I don't know. It's something I really need to work on...

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

I can relate to what all of you have said. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

~ Legend of the Legendary Heroes

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm

SakiHeart wrote:
I don't mind writing to people, and while I don't love talking to people in person, it's so much less frightening than calling someone on the phone. Talking on the phone has always been nerve racking for me. Is that just me, or is it common for someone with Aspergers?

Inefficient talkers are those who take too long talking to you.

Efficient talkers are those who take little time talking to you.

However, if there were a choice, I say someone who doesn't take a short or long time and just talks, so long as they don't be talking like they are reading a receipe.

All incoming calls that aren't too important will have to wait as my anxiety focus on something more important than talking on phone, this include but not limited to your mom.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 12:04 am

You and all the rest of us. Take a number.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 12:28 am

NTs are often quick to tell people they talk too much then they proceed to talk on the phone for hours on end. They think the phrase "you talk to much" doesn't apply to talking on the phone like it's exempt or something.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 3:53 am

Fairly common I think, after I got dXed by my local autism organization specifically asked if I was comfortable talking on the phone.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 5:03 am

Jory wrote:
You and all the rest of us. Take a number.

Not 'all' of us. While I cannot talk well in person or writing, I prefer using the phone. It's probably because I do not understand body language and facial expressions all that well but I do understand tone of voice better. But yes, talking to strangers or writing to strangers asynchronously... ugh!

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 8:26 am

I hate talking on the phone, I am usually quiet in person so trying to keep up a conversation when I cannot see someone is like trying to pick up a mountain and carry it a mile down the road.

I recently needed to get a mobile phone for work though, but only my boss and certain other people have my number so I can usually mane what I say and get it over and done with :)

The funny thing is, some NTs think that talking on the phone is the most natural thing in the world, when I can unequivocally say that over 65,000,000 million years of mammal evolution it certainly is not.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 9:56 am

I also can't stand talking on the phone. I always get some woman from a far east country and they don't understand my accent.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

Yes I can't stand it. I remember as a kid my mum put me on the phone with her friend (I can't remember what for) and I started crying within a minute of talking to her.

I avoided it as much as I could for a long time but became much better since cell phones became popular. I still dislike it though, especially with strangers. I sometimes have to take calls at work if nobody picks up the phone and if it's anything more than me replying "yes this person is here, just a moment please" I feel uncomfortable and want it to end quickly.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 10:29 am

everytime I talke on the phone I am pressured to keep talking so there are no awkward pauses. I don't do well on the phone.