Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jeremy91
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

Does anyone here take Risperidal for Asperger's or another diagnosis? I take 3 mg twice a day.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

I have taken it and I found that it made social interactions a little easier to cope with.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 7:50 pm

I haven't been on Risperidal, but I've been on other antipsychotics. None of them helped; they just made me groggy.

Though, I suppose, if you need a tranquilizer and you've tried other stuff, it's an option. That's what they're used for, pretty much, if you're not using them for psychosis--they're major tranquilizers.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 9:03 pm

It does make you a bit groggy. Maybe this is psychosis; but it helps me to better interpret the intentions of other people and not feel as confused by their behavior.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

I'm prescribed 5 mg of Risperdal. It was prescribed to me to help with my racing and bad thoughts. I take it with .5 mg of Xanax (also prescribed by the psychiatrist, and yes, he's the one who told me to take it with the Risperdal) every night before I got to bed because the pills' tranquilizing qualities make it possible for me to sleep; I used to have terrible insomnia due to my anxiety disorder and bad thoughts.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

I was on Risperdal for a while and it worked really well. It took away a lot of anger and frustration, probably helped with social anxiety too.

Dabbel
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

Argh! I thought this medication was only for schizophrenics...

I subsequently stopped taking it because of a few side effects. However, now I get so many thoughts, that I cannot get to sleep...

The result is that I keep reading books, but this does not help me get any sleep at all.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 9:58 pm

yes, hatedevery second of it so i stopped myself.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 2:48 am

Its on my list of 'Do not take' medications because I developed psychosis and paranoia while I was on it for my Tourettes! As soon as I came off it, the psychotic symptoms all went away!

zippy-tri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2011, 3:58 am

My young adult son has been taking it for about a week for personality disorder and acute reaction to stress. It stops the stress symptoms (shaking, muttering, thoughts going round and round, etc) after about 20 minutes of him taking it, but then it also makes him like a zombie. he is prescribed one a day, but it does not last 24 hours. Its early days, but I do not think it is a satisfactory treatment (if there even is a satisfactory treatment)

Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 4:14 am

Medicenes work differently for everyone. I took risperidone/risperdal for around 3 months, tried to kill myself while on it and they took me off immediatly. (granted this was 4 years ago)

Don't let that discourage you, taking an anti-psychotic especially in conjunction with an anti-depressant can prove either successful or risky, I'd just avoid abilify, that stuff is mental poison.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

Quote:
I'd just avoid abilify, that stuff is mental poison.

I agree with that. I was told it was the latest 'Tourettes wonder drug'... Yes it is wonderful at getting rid of TS because you are too busy feeling sick, sleeping and shaking violently to notice it anymore!

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

I take 4mg at night. It really helps me with the bad thoughts and the outbursts. It's an antipsychotic, and that's what I take it for, psychosis. Some people really hate it, but it helped for me. Your mileage may vary, as always.

un-worthy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2011, 6:25 pm

well i take 1 mg at night, and it has helped as nothing else has,
when i am not on it i feel substantially worse about everything,
and tend to yell at people more,
but what is that phrase people use? oh right, "your mileage may vary"

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 10:23 pm

Skimming this thread will obviously tell one that it can be a good or bad experience, and that there's no way to know except for trying it with the possible risks in mind.

The medication I'm on made me feel terrible for a whole month, but large benefits after that and over time. The first week I was on it I could barely sleep because I had such bad nausea and thought I'd throw up any second.