I can't help but feel like im just pawning things off to AS.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ess173
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Aug 2011, 11:30 pm

After testing and recalling questions that were asked I can't help but feel like most is not all of my issues are just normal life issues that everyone has.here are a few examples,not verbatim. i wont list them all as it would be a big list...

Dois it bother you when people walk behind you? Yes,.... soesnt that bother tons of people though?

The not liking to be touched.... isnt that a ton of people as well?

Do I feel that my brain is working on a high level than many others.... yes.... isnt that just me thinking highly of myself?

Do I drop things when my attention is on other things? yes, but i know other that do...

Do I prefer the same food several days in a row... well ya. its called having a habit or addiction right?

I don't know maybe this is what everyone goes through when they think they have it but arent dianosed. I will say i've read some posts about simple things like job hunting being a nightmare , and breaking out in a sweat and being so incredibly anxious/nervous you could burst, just in the process of getting an application. other things. i havent read if its a symptom yet but i do often find myself making facial expressions the that correlate to my feeling about what im thinking about or reinacting in my head........... so just inda rambling. guess my point is am i wrong? it just seems like theres a lot a could say is bc of AS but how am i sure if it is or not?...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:58 pm

Yeah I find it confusing too. I also notice everyone has communication problems, everyone gets false accusations and gets misunderstood, everyone misses out on cues or does social faux passes, everyone misses out on humor and sarcasm online and misunderstands smileys nor understand them always, everyone gets easily distracted by things or has their own sensory issues, and of course lot of people seem to have computer addiction these days and video game addictions so when does it become an AS thing when an aspie gets addicted to their computer or video games? When does it count as their aspie obsession? Even I would notice my brothers would do the same things most of the time, watching TV or doing computer or playing video games. They still did other things but those three were mostly the main things they did by themselves and with their friends and I read that aspies tend to do the same things over and over most of the time.

I have no idea if my problems are normal problems or caused by my AS but I think it's a good thing if I pass my problems off as normal because I feel good about myself and have good self esteem and can see the same mistakes in everyone than blaming it on my condition because that be a sign of low self esteem.

I did used to blame things on my AS and then get confused when I see someone do an aspie thing too and I would wonder why does it get blamed on my condition when I do the same mistake but when someone does it, they don't blame it on anything?

But it all becomes a condition when it causes impairments in life like John Robison says in his book Be Different everyone has routines and rituals but they call them habits. But if it impairs them, then it becomes part of something than normal. But how can you tell if you are having impairments with your routines and rituals? I guess if you don't meltdown or get anxious or have a fit if you can't do your usual, thing, it's not a trait you have. But what happens if you used to have it and then you no longer had that issue anymore? I guess that would mean you outgrew that trait. Same as if an aspie learned to not have their obsessions impair them by not letting it take over their life. So I would suppose that would mean they outgrew that trait too.

I don't recall I drop things when my attention is on something else. It doesn't bother me when people walk behind me.

ess173
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2011, 12:11 am

thanks for the reply. that makes sense for sure.i wouldnt say i drop things often but it happens. i think i first started noticing symptoms awhile back when my brother was going to meeting so i read on it a little. it was odd to me that some things sounded so like me and made sense. humor gets brought up so often though and i dont think anyone has ever had a hard time getting my humor, dry as it may be. ive had many friends and family members over the years tell me to go into comedy. sure, they were blowing sunshine up my ***, but they still got my jokes. i guess as with all things you dont have to have every "symptom" to hve it....

Romedidm
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2011, 12:50 am

I know exactly where you are coming from. In my experience it's like League_Girl said; it's when it becomes an impairment. I have a culmination of so many little things that I almost cannot function at home, and much less out in the open. I don't really have time to list everything that goes on, but look at it this way: You know the severity to which you take things correct? Others do not, which makes talking about it all the more difficult. This works on quantity and extreme. A few things very severe, or many things that are not so bad (even worse if it's many severe things), it all adds up. I mean, don't purposefully place the blame somewhere because you can; but don't underestimate the amount of control that A.S. "can" have over your life. ((This is where some people would interject with the "nothing can control your life but you" speech, that's not what I mean. A.S. has ups and downs, you can't control everything, and the sooner you realize that there are some things you will never get perfect, the better.))

Take care

Oxybeles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2011, 2:36 am

I feel much of the same way - almost everything I feel, do, or say in my life could be attributed to AS; my entire personality fits into a neat little AS box. I need to get that official stamp of approval so that I can stop thinking that I am crazy for feeling this way. I mean, part of me knows that other people aren't like this - that they want to talk to people... that they can stand being around people... that they feel emotions in different ways than I do, love differently than I do, and can express themselves... and a hundred other little (or big) things. But, then again, I don't know what it means to feel or see the world like a 'normal' person would, and it causes a logical malfunction in my mind to know that this is reality, but for other people this isn't reality. It's like I am trying to doublethink myself into believing that this way of seeing the world is not normal, all the while knowing it isn't normal. So, I convince myself that I am just blaming things on this 'condition' constantly, while I am probably not even recognizing half of the problems.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:56 am

Quote:
Dois it bother you when people walk behind you? Yes,.... soesnt that bother tons of people though?

To the extent where they start walking funny because they can't concentrate enough on it? I don't think so.

Quote:

Being touched feels like an electric shock for most people? I don't think so.

Quote:
Do I drop things when my attention is on other things? yes, but i know other that do...

Most peoples' brains decide that they don't have a hand when they stop focussing on what they're holding? That's news for me.

Quote:
Do I prefer the same food several days in a row... well ya. its called having a habit or addiction right?

Of course, most people start throwing things if their (food or other) routine is broken.

Most people have these things but not to a disabling degree.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

guywithAS
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2011, 8:36 am

i think a lot of things about autism can make people neurotic. in all likelihood you don't have most of it.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:

To the extent where they start walking funny because they can't concentrate enough on it? I don't think so.

Quote:

Being touched feels like an electric shock for most people? I don't think so.

Quote:

Most peoples' brains decide that they don't have a hand when they stop focussing on what they're holding? That's news for me.

Quote:

Of course, most people start throwing things if their (food or other) routine is broken.

Most people have these things but not to a disabling degree.

5 star post.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 10:22 pm

I know, I have the same thoughts occasionally. Concentrate on what symptoms you do have, and try to prove that it's all an illusion and you don't have them. That's the only thing that works.