Being screened for AS .. how did you feel?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

indigo-oak
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2011, 5:15 am

Well after being shot down by one really stupid professional, I have finally found an awesome psychologist, who listens!

Bought up that I think I have AS and she sees it in me too. So I did a questiony thing, gave it back to her and she came back with a "high probability" of AS. It just isn't formal yet.

I got that information via email this morning, when I woke up at 5:20am today I knew it was going to be a crappy day and yup; it was.

Felt overwhelmed, scared, lied to, happy, then back to just plain scared. Guess most of it was shock and now I'm scared that if get told high probability and after the formal test it comes back with a big fat cross. Which I highly doubt it will but I still can't help but think about it.

Then add to that, today I was put over the coals at work for not being "normal". Gosh that hurt, big time.

So yeah, how did you feel the moment you were a step closer to being diagnosed with AS? This is brand new to me so I can understand how worked up I got.

I feel really meh at the moment, looking forward to sleep.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

I was only 7 or 8 when I was diagnosed, so I didn't really care.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

When I found out I was having my evaluation, it was all the same. After having my evaluation, while I was waiting for results I ended up terrified that it'd come back with me just being a broken NT. It didn't matter how much research I'd put into it already, and how strongly people thought of me as an aspie - the possibility of it coming back no terrified me.

Yet it was absolutely worth getting those results for many reasons.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

I was 12 when diagnosed and I was going through depression and felt suicidal then so I don't remember much. I remember the doctor's office and my psychiatrist and him and mom talking. I didn't say much about myself. But luckily I didn't know what I was really there for. If I knew, I may have tried acting normal as possible and lie about myself trying to get a false negative so I come back as normal. I don't even know if I tried acting normal as possible or not.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 1:01 pm

I was diagnosed when I was seven. I had no idea what it meant or anything until I was a teenager. I just remember being draged to yet another shrink and never being told why. My parents say they explained why I had to go to all these doctors but I don't ever remember it.