Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Hey,

How much trouble do you all have in mix ups in grammar when posting?

I see it here now and again.

I mix up homonyms, and miss writing words where a word should go-- a hole in the sentence. Incomplete punctuations, contractions, etc.

The funny thing is that it doesn't matter how much it is proofread at the time, for the most part the error goes unnoticed.

It takes a fresh look at it later, when the thought is cleared, to see this only then,.... or is it than :lol:

Do you think this is related or correlated with ADHD/ AS?

When I see impeccable grammar, is it due to being successfuly proofread, maybe even several times?

Of course there are exceptions.

Trouble or no trouble for you?

I found 3 missing words when I proofread this.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Sep 2011, 1:09 pm

As long as I can get my point across, I really don't pay much attention to grammar. Sometimes it just comes naturally.

MyriaJean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

I have some trouble with grammar now that I am chronically sleep-deprived. Before - well, my mom started asking me to proofread and give suggestions for her college papers when I was in fifth grade. Language is my primary special interest though, so that's something to keep in mind :D

fur_frog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

I also struggle with spelling and grammar and punctuation. I post from my phone that helps me out a lot. It can also hinder me as well. If left completely up to me I would miss spell punctuation. But I do rely on it is bit to much. If I know how to spell it I will not let my phone assist me and when I do need it I will stare at the word for a sec to try to learn it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 4:00 pm

I don't normally have any problem with grammer. I am quite good with writing. It's not really an Aspie thing - when I read sites like Yahoo Answers or something, people write terribly! And it's not slang - it's just general mistakes. I always like to make sure my posts are written correctly when posting on the internet, because when I'm reading something that's not got proper spelling, punctuation and grammer, I find it really hard to even get the gist of the message.

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2011, 4:16 pm

I don't make a lot of grammar mistakes, although I'm not sure on this site because English is not my first language.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 4:41 pm

I don't represent the grammar police or anything but what does get to me is that text speak is now turning up on comments pages on websites and also forums now.

Dis, dat, m8 etc.

It takes an old person like me twice as long to read things nowadays. :lol:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Sep 2011, 11:50 pm

AnonymousPasserBy wrote:
I don't make a lot of grammar mistakes, although I'm not sure on this site because English is not my first language.

You seem fine to me. :)

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2011, 12:09 am

I've never had any problems with grammar; language is one of the things that comes very easily to me.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 8:14 am

Quote:
What are the warning signs of dysgraphia?

Just having bad handwriting doesn't mean a person has dysgraphia. Since dysgraphia is a processing disorder, difficulties can change throughout a lifetime. However since writing is a developmental process — children learn the motor skills needed to write, while learning the thinking skills needed to communicate on paper — difficulties can also overlap.

If a person has trouble in any of the areas below, additional help may be beneficial.
•Tight, awkward pencil grip and body position
•Illegible handwriting
•Avoiding writing or drawing tasks
•Tiring quickly while writing
•Saying words out loud while writing
Unfinished or omitted words in sentences
•Difficulty organizing thoughts
on paper
•Difficulty with syntax structure and grammar
•Large gap between written ideas and understanding demonstrated through speech.

Just this year I discovered another (self) diagnoses. ^^

I suppose this it along with the inattention.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 9:12 am

Dysgraphia/Dyslexia/Speech disorders/ADD all are probably more common among ASD people.

Although I may have grammar mistakes since my first language is not English, I have difficulties expressing myself in my native language too. It's not the grammar, but putting my thoughts into words and sentences, finding the most appropriate words and expressions that I find extremely difficult. I takes ages to me to form sentences that actually make sense (I hope). After that I proof-read, edit for style endlessly before I post. Fresh reading the text always shows a couple of grammar mistakes, I have to force myself to leave them there.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

I don't have any problems with grammar, though I do occasionally miss words or letters when I write (I can usually identify and fix them quickly). I sometimes spend hours (literally, not hyperbolically) drafting e-mails before I feel confident they are error-free and ready to send. I've taken a number of editing courses at my university, so I'm now more aware of the very minor errors and infelicities that so often slip through unnoticed.

There are errors in many of the posts above.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 9:57 am

OJani wrote:
Dysgraphia/Dyslexia/Speech disorders/ADD all are probably more common among ASD people.

Although I may have grammar mistakes since my first language is not English, I have difficulties expressing myself in my native language too. It's not the grammar, but putting my thoughts into words and sentences, finding the most appropriate words and expressions that I find extremely difficult. I takes ages to me to form sentences that actually make sense (I hope). After that I proof-read, edit for style endlessly before I post. Fresh reading the text always shows a couple of grammar mistakes, I have to force myself to leave them there.

Quote:
I takes ages to me to form sentences that actually make sense (I hope).

Interesting. I'm thinking I'm more problematic with forming paragraphs, i.e. developing a larger thought. As an analogy for me, it is like having a short width or section of consciousness, "attention;" I see the the 'short detail clip' at the expense of a wider broader view. I think this is that active or working memory again.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 10:47 am

I don't know about any of you, but my mom said I had perfect grammar ever since I was a toddler. My mom reinforced that by correcting grammar mistakes people made on TV. Now, I have good grammar and I cringe whenever I hear something that violates grammar too much. Also, I am very interested in writing, not just science and math; I self-published a novella when I was twelve and always love to write stories. Unless I'm doing it wrong and no one has told me about it, good grammar comes naturally and I don't usually proofread. I always thought my good grammar as a toddler had to do with my AS. I was suprised to see that you have trouble with grammar.

...tell me if I messed up this post, or I'll feel like an idiot! :lol:

catma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2011, 10:50 am

I hate grammar :oops:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2011, 11:04 am

My grammar is excellent in my head, but I often make major typos, such as missing out a word.