Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

turkey87953
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Sep 2011, 2:12 am

I was in an eatery today having lunch and i was watching a group of people talking when they talked alot there hands were moving alot
all over the place. i realised when i talk my hands dont move at all unless im exited and i flap them at my sides or clap or click my fingers.
do you move your hands or arms at all when your talkng or do they stay still?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 2:16 am

One of my stims is finger spelling while I talk (it makes it much much easier for me to be putting thoughts into verbal words).

So while I don't wave my hands around or such, if you watch my hand that's by my side you'll be seeing me finger spell the most relevant words of what I'm saying.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:26 am

No I do not. I only use my hands when I try and describe something. If I do move my hands, I am just stimming with them or when I point to something. In fact I never noticed people moving their hands all that much.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:35 am

i only use my hands to emphasise things, for example, if i'd say it was "this big", i'd use my hands to give an indication, or i'd point in "that direction" they should go.

i indeed also often fidget with my fingers while talking, but that's unrelated to the conversation

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 4:08 am

I only use my hands to sign when my speech is bad! Other than that, no I do not move them around much when I am having a conversation. I hate it when the person I am talking to does this because I get so distracted by all the hand movement that I can't focus on lip-reading which is the only way I can work out what people are saying!

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2011, 5:02 am

Like izzeme, only to indicate directions, relative positions, size, etc. but not to punctuate speech in general.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 5:03 am

I saw myself on a video once being interviewed (not for a job) and I was surprised to see how unexpressive I was with my body language.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 5:15 am

I don't move my arms and hands much at all when I talk. My social worker does it loads and I get perplexed but amazed by her hand movements and I often concentrate on them more than the conversation.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 6:42 am

I've always used my hands when talking. I never thought about it, but I know I do it subconsciously because I saw myself doing it subconsciously when playing on the Eye Toy with my cousin. Also I've been using my hands so much whilst talking that I've often knocked plates out of other people's hands!

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 6:53 am

Yes. I usually visualize what i'm explaining and it feels like its right in front of me. I really get into some of my explanations so I completely forget what is going on around me.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2011, 6:58 am

Only for directions or emphasis.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 6:15 pm

All my speech is punctuated with movement. It might be just hands, but if I get excited it might be arms, legs or really the whole body. It's not unusual for me to wake up and realize that I am imitating the movement of other adults, children, animals or even inanimate objects to better illustrate the points I'm trying to make about them. It's often my listeners' wide eyed shock and slow backing away that alerts me to the fact that I'm way too much into the role.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 6:24 pm

I talk with my hands a lot. I had someone do a mock interview of me and I was surprised to see how much I talk with my hands.

CrazyOldBat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2011, 6:39 pm

I talk with my hands with gusto, which may be being Asperger's but is probably being Italian.