Can Anyone Confirm What I Experienced?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TwistedReflection
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2011, 1:08 am

So, I'm at university and I need to go somewhere on campus that I hadn't been to before, given that I like my daily wanderings to be as linear as possible (is this an AS thing?). But I can't find the place that I'm looking for. And now I'm lost. I decide to go back to class, somewhere that's more familiar to me. I'm getting all hot and bothered, and I'm having to pass many NTs on my way there. I hate being stared at (again, is this an AS thing?) and I squirm when under someone's scrutiny. My thoughts at this point were all over the place.

I'm now sweating profusely, but at least I'm nearer to familiar surroundings, so my anxiety eases a little. I take the elevator to my floor and head to my seat. I was now feeling dizzy and nauseous, and all my senses were out of whack. I could still hear people talking, but my ears weren't registering the sound correctly, like their voices were being filtered or muffled. My eyes couldn't quite focus properly, but I could still see okay. I turn to grab the attendance sheet from someone behind me, who just stares at me blankly, probably because the colour had drained from my face, I assume.

My question is: What had I experienced? Was it a panic attack or a meltdown? Or something else entirely?

Last edited by TwistedReflection on 25 Sep 2011, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Sep 2011, 1:12 am

It sounds like you were overloading. I find that frustration makes it easier for me to hit overload because everything becomes so much more annoying.

I spent too much of last December-January in a similar state.

TwistedReflection
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2011, 1:20 am

Quote:
It sounds like you were overloading. I find that frustration makes it easier for me to hit overload because everything becomes so much more annoying.

I spent too much of last December-January in a similar state.

Oh, man, I'm such a n00b aspie. :lol:

I've had it before whilst speaking to a Jehovah's Witness, only it was worse because I totally lost the ability to see and hear, it was just blackness and muffled murmuring from then on, and speaking was also strained. I tried to tell her, in a polite fashion, to piss off; but she insisted on blabbering and pushed leaflets into my hands before finally buggering off.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2011, 3:13 am

I think you did the best thing when you got lost, your thinking and actions were correct. I have not had that sensory muffling, but I have been known to get lost from time to time. When I was in college I kept a campus map with me so I could consult the picture and figure out where I was and where I should be. I have absolutely no sense of direction but I can read a map like nobody's business.

A good way to deal with religion pushers is to remember they think they are helping and doing a good thing. I always thank them for thinking of me, but I'm not interested, I'm running late, thanks. That usually works. If not, just toss the pamphlets in the next trash can. It's just paper. :) Sometimes going along a little bit can even save time and get it over with.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 6:36 am

TwistedReflection wrote:
I've had it before whilst speaking to a Jehovah's Witness, only it was worse because I totally lost the ability to see and hear, it was just blackness and muffled murmuring from then on, and speaking was also strained. I tried to tell her, in a polite fashion, to piss off; but she insisted on blabbering and pushed leaflets into my hands before finally buggering off.

I find it best to be direct with the religious type - "No, not interested. Good day" and either shut the door if they have called at my house or walk on if I'm out. No other words or actions are required.