Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 6:34 am

Here's something that annoys me. I will be working in the back of a closet in an equipment rack or some other dimly lit location. I'll climb into the back, pause for a moment to let my eyes adjust, and then start working. Shortly after that, the user will typically locate a flashlight, and then without askin if I even want it, shine the light into me and wave it all over the place in an attempt to be helpful. It ends up being harmful as the user rarely holds lthe light steady, but instead moves it all over the place, shining in my eyes, and running it all over the equipment. Even if the light is heald steady, it creates shadows, and I can only see where the light is being shined. I then must convence the them to turn the light off and that I was better off without it.

Why are people so inisistant that I need a flashlight to perform my work? Even when someone has the courtesy to ask, It takes several times of saying "NO" to convense them, and even then, they are going after a flashlight without even waiting for my answer!

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 9:17 am

I hate that! In the evenings I prefer lamps/dim lights instead of the main regular lights in a room because the main ones are too bright for my eyes. People are always turning the big light on for me (especially at work) - they think they're doing me a huge favor, or sometimes I get the parental-type lecture about how I'm gonna ruin my eyes working in the dark. Aaargh!

And the flashlight thing, yeah that would be annoying. If I'm in a situation where I really need one, I prefer to find a way to hold it myself even if my hands are full.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 12:16 pm

Its because NTs think that if they cant see what they are doing in there then no one can so they "get you a light so you can see" and are pleased with themselves for being helpful.

When you object they are thoroughly confused because they have already gone through this whole thought process that they have to back up and start over thinking about (which they hate to do).

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

itfits
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2006, 2:14 pm

When I visit my mom I still get this even though I am 37 years old. "Oh, it is too dark in here let me turn on the light for you"

This is how she reacts every time even though she knows that I am light sensitive and can not go outside in the daylight w/out sunglasses or I end up with headaches. Bad headaches.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 3:02 pm

because they don't think, while you are obviously thinking.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 3:17 pm

It's pretty much the opposite for me.
I'm always the one turning on the lights because i can't stand dark rooms.
Especially not when i'm watching a bright screen.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 5:06 pm

People are conditioned to believe that darkness = Darkness. What's wrong with you that you flinch at the Light?! :twisted:
<sarcasm alert>

People also associate photosensitivity with drug use.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

22 Sep 2006, 7:44 pm

There's one easy way to solve this problem from happening again: After kindly telling them how annoyed you are at having the flashlight turned on and stuffing up your night-vision, tell them to ask you whether or not you want the flash-light for assistance. After about a few weeks of getting 'no thank you' to this question, they'll learn that you don't want it to help. And if they don't emphasize that that's the way you are, and if they have problems about it, then they should adjust.

When I was younger I always used to play games with no lights on, and Mum would come in and turn the light on. I'd always get up and turn them off when she left, of course...

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2006, 2:15 pm

I always thought I was the only one. I never could understand lights outside at night, I'm like, "It's night time, it's supposed to be dark." Lights in the dark ruin your night vision, so you can't see what's around you, just what's right in the light. Also, they give everything the character of this phony daylight.

I used to go camping without a flashlight. Lately I've been carrying one the way a pilot might wear a parachute, in case I drop something small I have to find.

Having somebody shine a flashlight in my eyes is like getting hit with a bucket of ice water.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

23 Sep 2006, 5:38 pm

I'm pretty much non-reactive to light. If someone shines a flashlight in my eyes while it's dark, I glare, sure, but it's nothing I can't look at for several minutes on end. I still think I'm the only one here who can bear laser-lights in the eyes.

I like it when it's a clear night and it's a full moon. Not too dark, not too light. Just right!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2006, 8:15 pm

AV-geek wrote:
Here's something that annoys me. I will be working in the back of a closet in an equipment rack or some other dimly lit location. I'll climb into the back, pause for a moment to let my eyes adjust, and then start working. Shortly after that, the user will typically locate a flashlight, and then without askin if I even want it, shine the light into me and wave it all over the place in an attempt to be helpful. It ends up being harmful as the user rarely holds lthe light steady, but instead moves it all over the place, shining in my eyes, and running it all over the equipment. Even if the light is heald steady, it creates shadows, and I can only see where the light is being shined. I then must convence the them to turn the light off and that I was better off without it.

Why are people so inisistant that I need a flashlight to perform my work? Even when someone has the courtesy to ask, It takes several times of saying "NO" to convense them, and even then, they are going after a flashlight without even waiting for my answer!

NO!! ! A BUD LIGHT!! :lol: