Often 57%  57%  [ 47 ]
Sometimes 39%  39%  [ 32 ]
Rarely 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 83

fiooo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2011, 10:46 pm

Today, I ran into the corner of the table in the computer lab. Needless to say, it was embarrassing since people's computer screens were shaking and they were staring at me as though something was wrong with me. Sometimes, I feel like I don't really know the dimensions of my body (I'm wider and taller than I think!)...

Does anyone else here have this issue of running into things (especially corners of tables, couches, etc.)?

Last edited by fiooo on 19 Oct 2011, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 11:14 pm

Yes, I've had this problem quite severely my whole life. Tables, chairs, fridges, artworks, walls, doors, bathtubs, steps, whatever else you can think of.

My spatial awareness has always been really off wack; I think something is 30cm to my left, then I run straight into it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm

warning, 4-bit word to follow- i've been told have weak proprioception, that this was one trait of asperger's syndrome. AKA clumsiness in general. all my life i have been accident-prone, always barking my shins on a low table, bumping my poor cranium on low-set door frames or light fixtures, cracking my knees on low table parts underneath tables, stubbing my toes on the corners of various bits of furniture, tripping and falling down stairs [usually bouncing on my butt all the way down the flight] and such. i try to love my body but the world as it is constructed seems hostile to me and my physicality. :hmph:

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm

All the time... sometimes its as if i have a big magnet that makes me lean into things as i walk...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 11:29 pm

I don't run into things, I walk into things.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm

I often run into walls while walking parallel to them. I guess I'm not walking parallel, but in a zigzag if I'm running into them.

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2011, 11:51 pm

Tend to walk into things unintentionally too. I get a lot of bruises as a result. My sides hit things more then my front and back. Luckily I have a high pain threshold so it doesn't really bother me.

Astraea
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Oct 2011, 12:56 am

I don't run right into objects very often, but I've stubbed my toes more times than I would like to admit...

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:05 am

I wear a hat as often as I can to protect my head from it. :(

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:08 am

I don't have an abnormal issue with it, but I do still have a scab from hitting the coffee table a few months ago...

But they do not have me

softlyspeaks41
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2011, 1:35 am

Count me in as a member of the Clumsy Club. Not long ago I walked straight into the bathroom door, it had been closed and well my brother sometimes doesn't leave it open when he exits ( I knew no one else was in there)..so I opened it, well, a different way that time. Certainly was cause for his amusement..and mine too. Otherwise there's the recurring knocking into tables etc and being careful with going down stairs

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:39 am

Yep. Whenever I hear something breaking nearby I freeze, just in case it's me (and because it takes a couple of seconds (or more) to figure out if I'm the cause or not). It's like my sense the physical space I occupy is way off.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 3:34 am

Yesterday I banged my shoulder into the doorway. I do that sometimes.

When I was younger I usually had a lot of bruises. Once when I went to Planned Parenthood that wanted to know who was beating me up because I had a lot of bruises on my arms and legs but no one was. I'm just clumsy and bruise easily.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 4:57 am

Yeah I often run into things especially polls.
Ill walk into doors, stumble up and down stares, walk into tables, chairs, sopha's, the car, other people.
I also bruise easily too so this makes it even more annoying.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 5:30 am

Yes, I can't even walk in a straight line. I veer to the right.

aspiewhostandsalone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2011, 5:48 am

ah yes, Iwalk INTO doorways sometimes more than I walk THROUGH them and on occasion trip on MY OWN FEET!! LMAO