SHOULD SOCIAL SERVICES BE REGULATED
YES 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
NO 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

mygreenbritain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

hi sorry for the bad topic, but this has to be said from a mothers point of view, my partner of 6 years, 2 chlidren now has been told he may have adult ADHD,after 3 assesments. which is fine if this is the case we can deal with this as a family. BUT social services have asked my partner to remain out the family home untill he has been diganosed. IS this legal i ask my fellow mothers. when attempting to contact client relations (social services complaints dep) about this matter they told my to contact legal advise which my partner is not funded for. i have tried to contact the (govening body they dont have such thing) about my concerns but this has been to no avail. any advise is welcome.

Last edited by mygreenbritain on 02 Nov 2011, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 10:30 am

I don't think they have the right to tell someone they have to leave their home and family until they get a diagnoses...that sounds quite weird.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 11:20 am

Are you in the UK? (I'm assuming from what you're calling yourself you are.) Is your partner subject of a risk assessment? Have there been incidents which make him a possible risk to you and/or your child(ren)? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm trying to get the full picture. Child welfare or partner abuse are the only reasons I can think of for what they are asking you to do. If you feel you are being treated unfairly, you have the right to complain to the dept, your councillor or MP. From experience of working within the field of social work complaints, letters from MPs are taken very seriously.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 11:22 am

I've heard some appalling stories about Social Services. It underlines my determination never to have children, for that and many other reasons.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 11:37 am

I am not a lawyer. It does appear to me that, at least in the State of Missouri, which is the only State I've had any experience with (friends' experiences, not my own bad) that if there are children in the house who even _might_ be abused in some way, they can do anything they darn well please, including taking the children away and adopting them out if you don't please them.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

Even if he was diagnosed, that in itself would not be a reason for social services to insist on his removal from the family home (at least not in the UK). I have a friend who has ADD and is a single mum to two children, one of whom also has ADHD, and her ability to parent has never been questioned, even though she is under the care of mental health services for depression. Is there something else going on here which has caused them to take this action (you don't have to say in public of course)? If not then something is seriously amiss in my opinion.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 1:08 pm

In the USA, social services can be a nightmare. They have some pretty draconian powers, and once they get involved, they can get away with a lot.

Don't know about how it is in the UK.

He should not be asked to leave the home unless they can demonstrate a tangible risk/danger to the children. That's the only basis for them getting involved.

So, who clued them in so that they came to your door?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 8:55 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
So, who clued them in so that they came to your door?

And where can I find a few good bricks?