Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 11:56 am

When I was young girl (middle school years), I used to wonder if there was something wrong with me. I was in a regular classroom of the public school system. I did average in most classes. I had trouble socializing (group work was difficult and I spent most of recess/lunch literally wandering and pacing around the school yard).

I neither related to the "official" special needs children (which, in the early 80's was mostly kids with Downs or other, more visible and/or obvious learning differences). I also didn't really relate to the other kids in mainstream, who thought I was odd and I had so much trouble socializing with.

I felt very alone.

Has anyone else ever experienced this.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 12:11 pm

I shared the experience somewhat. Unlike you, I didn't feel alone but I also did not relate to the regular ed kids or the special ed kids. There was a child in my class who I assume had a textbook case of AS but I didn't relate much to him either.

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

I know how you feel I never fit in as a kid I was too 'weird' even compared to another 'weird' girl in my class. I have not met another autistic person since uni, and I found the guy to be too y2k-generation annoying (texting on the i-phone, facebook, etc, annoying). So, I didn't blend in with that guy or his friends either. Ironically he seems *more* autistic than me and doesn't try to hide it either but makes a lot more friends and is more resourceful than my self which makes me wonder.. Per haps I'm a different 'flavor' of autistic ???? Per haps I am out of the loop with my own generation as well..

OrangeCloud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

CanadianRose Wrote:

Quote:
When I was young girl (middle school years), I used to wonder if there was something wrong with me. I was in a regular classroom of the public school system. I did average in most classes. I had trouble socializing (group work was difficult and I spent most of recess/lunch literally wandering and pacing around the school yard).

I neither related to the "official" special needs children (which, in the early 80's was mostly kids with Downs or other, more visible and/or obvious learning differences). I also didn't really relate to the other kids in mainstream, who thought I was odd and I had so much trouble socializing with.

I felt very alone.

Add a few fights, arguments with the teachers, and truanting into the equation, and this is pretty much me at school as well.