What is it about Lord of the Rings movies, etc?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

Just a general interest question here.

I was just thinking earlier in the day how fun it would be to watch one of the Lord of the Rings movies with my 15 year old ... we had rented one a few years ago and watched it and had a GREAT time.

So, this evening The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King movie comes on tv, and I start watching it.

My son previous to this has been totally absorbed in whatever iTouch game he is playing.

Then he notices the movie, and is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY absorbed in the movie. He is watching it still. Now, this is a kid who has NEVER read any of the books. He just cannot peel himself away from the movie.

We can watch other movies, and my son doesn't really enjoy them. He particularly doesn't enjoy movies that are people or relationship driven. I definitely understand his liking the Jason Bourne movies because there's a ton of action -- any 15 year old boy would love those movies.

But Lord of the Rings -- why the rapt attention? Why so focused? I wish I could understand why this is so incredibly fascinating to him. I like the movies as well -- they are extremely well done movies. But I have to admit -- I am somewhat confused by the story line because I haven't read the complex books the movies are based upon. I think that I am the opposite -- as much as I enjoy the battle scenes and the hobbits, etc., I don't pay enough attention when I watch the movies to keep up with the entire story line...

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm

I never understood it. I tried reading the books, and they held my interest about as well as a NASCAR race. I've seen bits and pieces of the movies, and I was so bored to tears that I could never watch for longer than ten minutes.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm

Lord of the rings is a wonderful series to start reading with. My dad has read to me and my siblings the whole book plus the hobbit as well. If I know from memory, Tolkien was interested in and inspired by Norse and European myths. These myths involve heroic tales of bravery, I can see why lord of the rings interests your son

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm

I love that it takes away from reality and the storyline isn't redundant like most movies. It's original. Plus, the scenery in the movie is amazing. I think it was filmed in new Zealand, which makes the movie that much better.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 10:56 pm

I like Lord of the Rings, don't get me wrong, but it's never been good at keeping my attention. But then again, I can rarely focus my attention on anything unless it's a special interest. If I were obsessed with it, that'd be a whole other story.

LjosalfrBlot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2011, 11:14 pm

It's kind of funny, cause there was this one time I was freaking out on this pill thinking I was dying and I watched LOTR and thought that having it distract my mind somehow saved me lol. Oh, the memories.
Other than that, the battle scenes and some of the drama is cool, but other parts are downright cheesy.
But The Hobbit cartoon movie KICKS ASS.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm

for some reason, I admit that I had some mild interest in LOTR before the live movies came out.

I loved the trailers when I first saw them, and admittedly going into Fellowship of the Ring my expectations were thru the roof; I couldn't help it. I was expecting the world over from it, just from how good the previews were.

.....within the first ten minutes, the movie COMPLETELY blew all my expectations away!! !! !! !! !! !

So yeah...kinda into Lord of the Rings; the trilogy is my favorite movie series of all time, and I'm pretty damn excited about the Hobbit...just not so excited that the company that makes Justin Bieber toys has the license :cry:

godoftruemercy
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2011, 2:41 am

Escapism, because the world is confusing and terrible. Talking trees, because why not. Fun hobbits.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 5:34 am

Due to my concentration difficulties, I couldn't even get past page 1 of 'The Hobbit'. But, I love the films and anything similar, although I do get lost in the LOTR plot. My daughter also loves fantasy. Merlin is her favourite TV show just now (because the Doctor Who isn't on). Also, I tend to buy artworks with a fantasy theme, featuring unicorns, dragons, elves, etc, and I have a growing collection of figurines of fairies, etc, all very tasteful.

Xayah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2011, 8:46 am

I used to be obsessed, with the books and the movies. In fact, I loved any alternate universe fantasy. It's the idea of a different world, with all these clearly defined races, classes, gender and class roles that I loved, along with the idea that Tolkein sat down and created it. There were so many little details of the story and characters to take in, so it was definately a form of escapism,

the trials and tribulations of a girl pretending to be normal