Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:25 am

I've always been told that people with autism have poor social skills or that I need to work on social skills, but no one has ever spesified what these said "social skills" are. How can I work on something if I don't know what they are? Not that I've ever wanted to change, but I've always been curious to what social skills are. My mother says they've gotten so much better ever since I got my pet lizard and started taking her everywhere with me. Anyway, what are these "social skills"?

sMeow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2011, 4:57 am

In my opinion, typicals social skills (descending order) :

- Can make Eye-contacts
- Can speak with no meltdown, regular breath...
- Can understand social rules etc... (exemple : don't offend someone by mistake)
- Can handle a dialog easily (it includes that you musn't be affected strongly by noises, you need to focus).

I don't find anything more, but it may be some other things... At least, it's what I have to work, personnaly.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

In most humans their brain pick up the nonverbal movements without much thought. Someone with a ASD brain has to learn this on a very aware level but they can still learn. You make a database of movement in your mind like this. Smile=happy but there are movement that are alot less clear than that. Each day i try to learn more. Do you have to explain how to walk ? For nt the skills are like that if i hear right.

nortier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

V001 wrote:
You make a database of movement in your mind like this. Smile=happy

I've tried this method and it did work for me to some extend. However, I did always feel pathetic, because it made me realize all too well that I had to work on something virtually everybody around me does naturally.

After a while I gave up, having learnt a little bit about how to carry myself, and figured: people who know me know how I am in social situations. I try not to think about how 'crazy' strangers must think I am.

It's really hard sometimes to realize that you feel so out of place, but know that aside from that and perhaps even because of it, you're still a great person!

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2011, 10:43 am

The ability to act how you want to without other people laughing at you. LOL (Unless you want them to.)