Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2012, 5:01 am

**Update: I have written more lucidly on this topic here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt254494.html

In that thread I explain that my stereotypy is only coincidental to my stimming. Thanks to being more self-aware about it, I previously made a wrong assumption about it. I do daydream lot, so I made the mistake of thinking there is a correlation.

(Post edited by TallyMan on behalf of OP)

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2012, 11:22 am

I do flap my hands and I also sometimes flicker my fingers in the corner of my eye. Flickering them in front of the eyes doesn’t have the same effect. Yes, I have studied it…

I do it for example when I am excited or a positive, exciting thought comes to mind, while listening to music or seeing, hearing and sensing something nice… And sometimes I just do it… I did it even while writing this, though that was about excitement. I probably do it also while daydreaming. When I am anxious or I have negative feelings, I usually shake my head from side to side. But I don’t do it as often. I'd say it is mostly an internal feeling that causes me to stim. But internal feelings sometimes have an external reason. Rocking seems to be mostly neutral. And also while playing an instrument, it is obligatory. :)

I have actually in adulthood observed my stimming more, since it took a long time before I even became kind of conscious of most of my stims. I knew from early on I’d rock and did another stim, when anxious, but other than that I was pretty unaware of it. For example a couple 13 year old boys in the school had this hand sign, which I knew meant me. Actually they were mimicking my hand movement. But back then I tried to figure my head out, what it could mean. I came to the conclusion that it had to mean something sexual, because the other hand signs they used in the presence of females did… And I mean I really tried to understand to which sort of a sexual thing flapping your hand could refer to... :D

Last edited by VisInsita on 05 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 11:38 am

Now I just pace at the very most, but in the past I would make noises to supplement my imagination, and I might have flapped my hands.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 12:36 pm

So I'm not the only one doing that...

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2012, 6:55 pm

VisInsita wrote:
I do flap my hands and I also sometimes flicker my fingers in the corner of my eye. Flickering them in front of the eyes doesn’t have the same effect. Yes, I have studied it…

I do it for example when I am excited or a positive, exciting thought comes to mind, while listening to music or seeing, hearing and sensing something nice… And sometimes I just do it… I did it even while writing this, though that was about excitement. I probably do it also while daydreaming. When I am anxious or I have negative feelings, I usually shake my head from side to side. But I don’t do it as often. I'd say it is mostly an internal feeling that causes me to stim. But internal feelings sometimes have an external reason. Rocking seems to be mostly neutral. And also while playing an instrument, it is obligatory. :)

I also do it sometimes when I'm excited or I feel quite elated. So I guess I am externally influenced at times. :) I daydream when I listen to music and then I start stimming.
I also make hand gestures when I'm thinking also. I've done that in public quite a few times and my friends found it funny.

My most severe stimming that I do is in the privacy of my home. If I were to do that in public I think it would shock/bewilder people.

Ganondox wrote:
Now I just pace at the very most, but in the past I would make noises to supplement my imagination, and I might have flapped my hands.

I pace usually when I'm in the company of my family. It's a way I can get it out without displaying the more socially unacceptable body movements/mannerisms.

Tollorin wrote:
So I'm not the only one doing that...

Nope, I've been wondering for a while if there are other people who indulge in this behaviour. Amongst high-functioning autistic people.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 8:23 pm

It was much more common for me as a child. I used to pace & shake strings or socks while starting to daydream. I can do this now, but more often I just tune in to memories. Still, I spend a lot of time in my head..

Sincerely,
Matthew

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 8:29 pm

It's enough to smile randomly during the day. I guess it confuses many people, but in those moments I am happy to be happy.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2012, 6:34 am

Matt62 wrote:
It was much more common for me as a child. I used to pace & shake strings or socks while starting to daydream. I can do this now, but more often I just tune in to memories. Still, I spend a lot of time in my head..

Sincerely,
Matthew

I did the exact same thing as a child, but I used toilet paper. I know it's embarrassing to even mention.

I still do it sometimes. But now it's hand flapping/flicking, jumping and other odd body movements. I have never been able to control it. And it hasn't diminished with age. I don't know if I should be concerned by it or not. :?

HeretoHelp
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Apr 2012, 1:19 am

What some of you are describing sounds very much like Maladaptive Daydreaming. It's a condition that causes excessive daydreaming. Some people with this problem will do repetitive stim-like movements while they daydream. Look up Maladaptive Daydreaming in a search engine to learn more.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:20 am

I do.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 2:49 am

I pace or, if the weather permits, go outside running when I daydream. I also toe-walk and make hand gestures that mimic the ones being used by characters in my daydreams. I've never been able to sit still while I daydream. I also use music to set the right moods for different types of daydreams (for example, classical music for romantic daydreams, rock music for morbid daydreams, etc.) Music also blocks out all external stimuli that might interrupt my daydreams.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 10:08 am

It is exactly when I am daydreaming that I need to stimm/fidget.

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 2:34 pm

HeretoHelp wrote:
What some of you are describing sounds very much like Maladaptive Daydreaming. It's a condition that causes excessive daydreaming. Some people with this problem will do repetitive stim-like movements while they daydream. Look up Maladaptive Daydreaming in a search engine to learn more.

I've heard of that condition and read about it before. It fits me completely. :D

I pace around a lot when I daydream. Sometimes at home, I'd be walking up and down the stairs for no apparent reason. At school or in any other place outside of the house, I pace around in small circles. I fiddle with things in my hands and twirl them around my fingers, or I could just be nibbling on some snack. I also tend to listen to music whenever I can when I daydream.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

Ganondox wrote:

This. Except I probably didn't stop making small noises until like... a year ago.

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

Acedia wrote:
Does anyone here do the kind of stimming I do?

I flap/flick my hands and make odd body movements whilst daydreaming.

It's like my daydreams cause me to stim, I become so immersed into them.

Also my stimming is severe (flicking my hands, jumping and making strange body movements). If you would to see me do it you would think I was severely autistic or something. For me it's like the most pronounced part of my Aspergers.

I've been doing since I was a kid. A time in which you can kind of get away with it a bit more. But even then when some other kid saw me do it they would call strange/weird, and then ask why.

I'm now a young man and I still do it. Never in public though, but I kind of let it out a little bit. My family obviously know about it and have seen me do it.

I was just wondering if anyone else has the same thing. Most of the stimming threads I've read, people on there report usually milder cases and say they are caused by external stimuli rather than internal, such as mine.

It's my daydreams that cause me to stim, not anything external. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Just wondering if there is anyone who has this too. :? :?:

I still do more or less the same sort of thing and I'm 58. I started as a toddler as far as I know. When I was 12 I worried about it not being normal and thought I was the only one who did it. I think every single day of my childhood I spent some time stimming with pieces of thread or handkerchiefs or running water or other things and going into my private world. It is like a film or video game in my head which is activated by the stimming. I have done it every day for the last 50+ years 8O .

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2012, 5:46 pm

Dunno if it's stimming per se, but I do find myself acting out daydreams. Usually this only happens when I am alone, but I notice that if I am having a daydream where I am laughing I will start laughing out loud, or if I am giving a thumbs up in a daydream I will do that in real life. I try not to, but it just happens anyway. Sometimes I stim after a daydream too, especially if it was a good one.