Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2012, 5:09 pm

I really need to return some phone calls but the thought of doing that makes me panic.

I think this problem is getting worse for me.

When I talk to people on the phone it takes a lot of effort for me to concentrate on what is being said. I don't know how to reply. I get easily distracted by all of my other senses and I can't clearly understand what the person is saying. All of this is made worse if they have me on speaker phone or if their phone is muffled. The whole experience of talking on a phone is mentally and emotionally taxing.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with this horrible invention?

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2012, 5:58 pm

ARGH the phone is my mortal enemy. I sit in a quiet room with nothing that can distract me (the bathroom almost works, but there's an echo, so typically I sit facing the wall on my bed with the TV off.) I warn people I have hearing problems, or that their phone is very low and ask them to speak up, and if I don't understand/ hear something, as frustrating as it is, I ask them to repeat themselves.

I have a lot of trouble with knowing when it's my turn to talk, too. I wish there was a rule on the phone where you have to say "Your turn" every time you're finished talking and expecting a response 8O

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 6:44 pm

My phone is for emergencies. If someone is calling it'd better be because their head is falling off! Seriously though, it seems quite a lot of aspies hate talking on the phone. I'd sure love to know why that is.

Ynnep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2012, 6:57 pm

When I call people I plan exactly what I am going to say to start the conversation. I try to keep it short and on point. I also try to be clear and friendly.

I have the hardest time calling people at home. Sometimes I'll have to call somebody who lives with other people that I know and then I feel weird when one answers and I really just want to speak to the other. That's where truly awkward conversations occur.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2012, 7:16 pm

LOL

I hate using the phone too. Considering I'm being charged $45/month for the service, when I have to make a call I do it.

Of course I might wait until the last possible moment to call ....

Pipilo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2012, 7:26 pm

Hate phone calls, particularly with chatty people. I seem to have some auditory processing issues, so phone calls are challenging. I often make calls if I have a minute at work, so I can say, Oh, hey, I'm at work, but I wanted to give you a quick call about such and such. This usually cues people to keep it short. If they start to ramble, I can say, oops, there goes my pager, have to run.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 7:42 pm

I hate phone calls, too. Whenever the phone rings I always hope it's telemarketers. :D Because otherwise I have to actually talk to them. I generally get all tense and into a "brace for impact" mode. My family eventually learned that they have to wait for me to call them when I'm up to it. I can talk for longer and be more pleasant. Whenever I feel burnt out I send email to everyone who matters telling them I'm not answering phones for a couple days, please write email.

*I was in the shower last night when my grandma (she's 93 and usually live with me, but is staying with other relatives right now) called. She was ranting about stuff that's purely imagined and don't exist. I tried to explain but she insisted it's real, even though she didn't see it. It was so frustrating. I had to call my mom and ask her to sort it out. She's much more articulate and persuasive.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

Dealing with the phone is a problem for me too. If the other person doesn't keep the conversation going then there is usually a lot of silence. We all have fears and I share your phone fear. We live in a modern world and unfortunately the telephone is a major communication tool used but we also have vast access to email and texting. I prefer the nonverbal modes of communication through these methods and I find it a lot easier to communicate with written words as opossed to verbal. That way I can eliminate any awkward social discrepencies and express myself direct and to the point. For the record, 98% of the time the phone rings and someone else is able to answer it, I let them do it lol

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 8:23 pm

Thank goodness for txting. :lol:

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2012, 9:52 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I have anxiety about phoning people (and I am NT). If it is a phone call regarding our son, I almost always get my husband to do it. I don't even like phoning friends and acquaintances. I am OK answering the phone, I figure that person wants to talk to me that's different...weirdly. Anyway, my husband doesn't get it, he gets annoyed because I will call him and ask him to phone someone for me. I have gotten better as I have gotten older but I don't think I will ever get over it properly.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 11:10 pm

I'm with you on that. I dread the phone. Every time I have to make a phone, I get very nervous. I have a hard time hearing and understanding the person on the other end, and must have no distractions, I turn off the tv if that's on, and turn the phone volume up highest. I hate it when machines answer, too, that they ask you for like your name and stuff. I have a very soft voice, and I usually always get 'sorry, I didn't quite get that'. Sometimes, I hold something to fiddle with and that helps the anxiety a bit.

I'm probably the only person of my generation to not carry around a cell phone. Ah, but then that means I don't worry about paying a cell phone bill and about minutes and all that, so there's a positive side to it.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:20 am

jpfudgeworth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for dealing with this horrible invention?

I have spent most of my life w/o a phone. Cannot deal. I often forgo medical appointments because of my inability to phone. In the past, I had the woman in my life make my calls.

But, on to your problem.

What has worked for me sometimes: write down your phone info & place it in front of you when you make the call. Teleprompt as much as possible. If conversation veers on the other side, mention you have to go in 2 minutes and finish the deal.

EQ: 6.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2012, 3:32 am

Do. Not. Like. Phone.

Answering machines / voice mail are the bane of my existence.

Cold calling people I don't know, but can't get out of calling... Either the call won't be made or I'll procrastinate till the very last minute.

Answering calls from numbers I don't know... For. Get. It.

Yet I have absolutely no problems chatting for hours about interests with another aspie friend or someone I know: Grandmother, Boyfriend, daughter-in-law.

I'm a huge tech nerd, but I refuse to carry a cellphone or a smartphone, no point, I'll never use it, just another bill. There is a reason I carry around a powerful netbook and a linux friendly usb wifi card in my purse :twisted:

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 4:26 am

i too avoid the phone

no price for guessing that i don't get any phone calls....hardly, barely

when my Asst. manager calls up i have to ask her to repeat things since i have hearing problems

i go to a silence mode often when conversing.

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

twich wrote:
ARGH the phone is my mortal enemy. I sit in a quiet room with nothing that can distract me (the bathroom almost works, but there's an echo, so typically I sit facing the wall on my bed with the TV off.) I warn people I have hearing problems, or that their phone is very low and ask them to speak up, and if I don't understand/ hear something, as frustrating as it is, I ask them to repeat themselves.

I have a lot of trouble with knowing when it's my turn to talk, too. I wish there was a rule on the phone where you have to say "Your turn" every time you're finished talking and expecting a response 8O

If people simply used phones like they do walkie-talkies....i.e., "blah blah blah, OVER!" it would help sooooo much!

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jun 2012, 11:39 am

I despise phones, hearing them ring, and talking on them. I get all up in a nervous state, and can't think what to say. I'll go drive 100 miles to talk to someone in person before I'd opt to use a phone!! !! ! I do text, but even that interferes with my daily life if I let it get too involved. My favorite communication is through eMail and forums like here...

Charles