Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

sehja
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2006, 6:15 pm

My husband is on the spectrum. I've known him about 30 yrs. He has always had a habit of going into the kitchen with sock feet on the linoleum and "swirl". Sometimes for hrs. There does not seem to be any relation to the amount of time he swirls on a daily basis to how well he coped that day or how much recent stress is part of his life.

Recently he began to bob his head back against the upholstery in his recliner or on the couch while watching TV. He said he's not stressed and I believe him. I have not mentioned to him that his cognitive abilities and basic judgement skills seem to be decreasing as he's quite sensitive about being percieved as ret*d or stupid. -- What I'm wondering is if the constant motion of swirling and head bobbing might be affecting his brain negatively.

Anyone have any experience on this kind of thing?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2006, 7:10 pm

I cant say I relate to this specific behavior but I dont believe it would have a negative effect on his cognitive ability.AS does not "theoretically" get worse.I would consider the possibility that there "could" be something else medical going on with him.AS does not EXCLUDE having other disorders.Does he take any medication?Some of these can cause long term effects after taking them for years.I think "stimming" does get more extreme when the person is stressed but stress can be more then psychological.It can also be medical and sensory.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/