Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2009, 10:36 pm

I got suspended from school by the board for "Intimidating and aggressive body language and posture."
Now I thought this was a little odd, as I don't see myself as intimidating, but I've been asking a few of my friends and they said they see people intimidated by me all the time, especially teachers, but they themselves are not intimidated by me. A few girls even said that they see guys intimidated by me all the time, but they don't find me intimidating to them.
Has anyone else ever been accused of being intimidating, like is this an Aspie thing? Or am I just a beast? hahah

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

calis1981
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2009, 10:42 pm

ive had teachers think i was gonna throw a chair/table at them before when all i did was get up and walk out of the room
lol
i still dont know why?

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 10:54 pm

Oh yes. They can't read our body language and they dislike our intense eye contact so they can't figure out what we are up to. This is apparently threatening. :roll: One of the most maddening things about being an adult with autism is how people are afraid and weirded out and creeped out by us, when in fact we wouldn't hurt a fly. The slick NT guy in a suit and tie, with good social skills? He's the one to stay away from because he wants something. But no, he can get close to people while we can't. We don't want anything from anyone, and we would never hurt anyone. It is backwards.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2009, 11:05 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Oh yes. They can't read our body language and they dislike our intense eye contact so they can't figure out what we are up to. This is apparently threatening. :roll: One of the most maddening things about being an adult with autism is how people are afraid and weirded out and creeped out by us, when in fact we wouldn't hurt a fly. The slick NT guy in a suit and tie, with good social skills? He's the one to stay away from because he wants something. But no, he can get close to people while we can't. We don't want anything from anyone, and we would never hurt anyone. It is backwards.

Well, I do have to admit, I'm a good fighter, and enjoy fighting, so I would possibly hurt more than a fly. But still, it is odd. We have trouble reading their body language, and they just plain can't read ours. That is maddening...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:19 pm

jamesp420 wrote:
I got suspended from school by the board for "Intimidating and aggressive body language and posture."

Do you go to a public school? If they know that you are on the autistic spectrum, then I bet they are breaking the law. I'm sure they can't suspend you for something like that, especially since it is a result of your "disability". I put disability in quotes because you may or may not see it as one, but autism is one of the official disabilities according the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:48 pm

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!

-To a Louse, by Robert Burns

It can be very surprising sometimes to hear how the rest of the world perceives us.

I've been told that I'm intimidating. It's mystifying to me, as well. In my case, it has to do with the fact that I don't do a lot of chatting and so when people at work hear from me, I've always got something that needs their attention.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2009, 11:50 pm

elderwanda wrote:
jamesp420 wrote:

Do you go to a public school? If they know that you are on the autistic spectrum, then I bet they are breaking the law. I'm sure they can't suspend you for something like that, especially since it is a result of your "disability". I put disability in quotes because you may or may not see it as one, but autism is one of the official disabilities according the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

They said they have every right to suspend me for it, because my parents never filled out the official paper work to get me like special privileges and whatnot. The awesome thing is, though, that after my parents told them about my Asperger's, they never sent them the papers. lol

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:51 pm

my brother recently asked me if i hate his girlfriend. he said that she thought that i disliked her. i have no clue where she got that idea from and i think she's good for him actually. i barely ever see her!

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

LP0rc
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2009, 11:51 pm

Intimidating? I still hear that one once in a while. People tend to see me as being about a foot taller and made of stone rather than flesh. Comes in handy sometimes. Other times I've learned to slouch some, limit gestures and fiddling with things like twirling pencils or rulers, interjecting yawns and smiles, adjusting eye contact to a momentary thing when first speaking, then drifting it off to the side into a "distracted stare".

Now I am just aloof, apathetic, and distracted ;)

You just can't win this battle, there is more than just a signal difference but a whole world view difference at play. The NT can't imagine how you could possibly not get it, and you can't possibly imagine what you're not getting. Things that are simple to you require a long convoluted alien emotional logic for them, and things that are emotionally intuitive to them require a long convoluted alien mental logic for you.

The real kicker is we need the clear communication in words and ideas, they summarize it in emotional facial, body, and tonal cues and the words only make up a fraction of the content they put out, but we take the words at face value. We also give our words at face value, and they just can't seem to take them that way.

Good luck. I was once written up by an employer for my "threatening demeanor" that "intimidated others". Basically I was just bored and fiddling with office supplies with a level of concentration beyond that of the norm, and looking up at each new speaker when they began speaking with expectation of perhaps hearing something interesting.

The bottom line is there are more of them than there are us, and they will ALWAYS put ANY communication difficulties or misinterpretations back on us because of it. They can't read us any more than we can read them, and being the majority they usually can't be bothered to make the effort, and since we don't "act natural" to their frame, many have a fear or anger reaction in the places we would have puzzled reactions.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 12:02 am

I heard that once before. I worked out at this gym and the guy at the desk told me one day that I was intimidating. He said it was because I come in, don't talk to anyone and always have a pissed off look on my face. I get that I always look mad a lot. That was the only time I was ever told I'm intimidating.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 12:12 am

I once had a guy who was dating my roommate tell me that he was surprised at how nice I was. When I asked why, he said that he had felt threatened by me, as though I would kick his ass if he dared talk to me. Since I'm a small and somewhat fragile-looking person, I was startled that I'd give that impression. I asked him about it, and we finally figured it's the face I get when I'm not remembering to smile. Apparently I look arrogant and really, really angry. I guess that could be threatening. I try to remember to smile but it doesn't come naturally.

Uboat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2009, 12:30 am

I'm one of the Asperger's people who err on the side of staring as opposed to avoiding eye contact. I'm a big muscular guy with a shaved head. I rarely smile or laugh. My inherent traits make me intimidating visually, but within a minute of talking with me, people relax and realize that I'm a big teddy bear. Not that I'm a pushover by any means but my look is discordant with my personality. There have been times when on an elevator women would push the button to get off on the next floor to get away from me. Ironically, if a real bad guy were to appear and try to take advantage of them in my presence I'd fight to the death to protect them. Although that would be unlikely as I'd creep the potential rapists out, too. Since my diagnosis, I try to maintain more of a neutral vibe. I monitor my eye contact all the time to appear more NT.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2009, 12:43 am

I don't quite get it though, I'm an extremely talkative person, and tend to smile a lot, so I don't quite understand what is intimidating about me...

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 1:06 am

One thing that my therapist mentioned that might be helpful was that with people like me who don't give a great deal of feedback tend to be on the receiving end of a lot of projection. Basically, in the absence of other input from me, people tend to project their own negative emotions onto me and see me as being intimidating, unfriendly, angry, etc. It's an interesting observation, but I'm still not sure what to do about it.

Marrshu
Raven
Raven

02 Oct 2009, 1:08 am

jamesp420 wrote:
They said they have every right to suspend me for it, because my parents never filled out the official paper work to get me like special privileges and whatnot. The awesome thing is, though, that after my parents told them about my Asperger's, they never sent them the papers. lol

I might be wrong because you're in a different state, but... if you have an official diagnosis of Asperger's or Autism, then this doesn't matter. Actually, how did you get suspended for being "intimidating?" That doesn't even sound remotely legal, diagnosis or not... 8O

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2009, 1:27 am

Yep! Someone once wrote in an email, commenting on something I had mentioned previous, that "you can be quite intimidating ", I was so stunned that I didn't reply to ask why she thought this...... on relating this odd description of myself to another person I was toldf" yeah! I can understand that , like you know a lot of stuff, have travelled a lot and speak other languages"......I still don't know what would be intimidating about that stuff, especially seeing that I don't really talk much and they only found these things out over the course of years.

Maybe I'm a bit aloof.... then at other times I can be quite talkative (on a subject of interest).

I guess that they might just SENSE that we are different and that in itself could be considered as intimidating......fear of the unknown quantity! :?