Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 9:52 pm

Over the years if I am playing a game if someone asks me to go easy on them I feel stumped. Unless I am teaching them or talking strategy I don't know how to do that.
I don't see why someone would not try to win.

My mom explained to me that some people like to play games just for social interactions, which obviously makes sense. But I don't see why you would not also try to win.

Most games that I like I have gotten really good at. Mostly because I do not like losing. I am okay with losing now, unlike when I was younger

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 9:56 pm

Does this seem familiar?

Mom: "Go easy on your sister."

Me: "Do you mean, let her win?"

Mom: "Sure. Why not?"

Me: "Okay sis, you win."

Mom: "That's not what I meant!"

Me: "But you said..."

Dad: "Don't get snotty with your mother!" <*WHACK!! !*>

Lesson learned: Letting someone win is a pain.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 10:00 pm

my oldest sister is in first grade so its a little different.
She has beaten me at memory one time though. The 64 cardboard cards memory, so 32 matches.

But I realize that is not what you exactly are talking about

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm

Alexender wrote:
my oldest sister is in first grade so its a little different. She has beaten me at memory one time though. The 64 cardboard cards memory, so 32 matches. But I realize that is not what you exactly are talking about

That was long ago.

Ah, well ... Back to the present.

Letting someone else win - especially when you're otherwise sure to win - is a form of cheating, in my opinion. It's called "throwing a game" or "taking a dive", both of which can get you banned from professional sports.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 10:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
Alexender wrote:
my oldest sister is in first grade so its a little different. She has beaten me at memory one time though. The 64 cardboard cards memory, so 32 matches. But I realize that is not what you exactly are talking about

That was long ago.

Let me phrase that better. My oldest sister is currently 7, she has beaten me at the game memory one time though. There are a total of 32 matches

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 11:31 pm

Yes, especially if it is asked. Otherwise I'm a fierce competitor if my heart is in the challenge.

In social situations I'm very docile normally, so often ask others to take it easy on me

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 12:56 am

I remember this as a kid and I had to dummy it up for them by not doing a thing and let them do it. This applied to when someone was younger than me. But now I realize age really has nothing to do with it. It has to do with skills and how good you are at something. You can be younger than someone and be better at a game than someone who is older than you. I wonder if the advanced players should go easy on someone when they are beginners? Why should it apply to age but not to how good people are at it?

But I don't count it as true winning if someone lets you win. But I know people who let someone win never lets the person know it. It's like manipulation. You trick them into thinking they actually won and you don't tell them you let them win.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 2:07 am

I can easily let younger people win. Say, my five-year-old cousin, when playing chess. I had more fun than if I tried to win, mind you. I controled the game, just to create my own defat. I did win against my nine-year-old when I said I would really play my best, but then, I genuinely thought it could be a close contest, as I am very bad at chess. It was a massacre, but near the end, I gave her honest advice from time to time.

I don't think I would let someone win anything otherwise, unless I was trying to inspire someone into liking a game. I am very competitive naturally, but I actively try not to be, so I actively try to appear more detached. If asked, I will give honest advice to my opponents. I make an effort to congratulate my opponent for his good moves. I think it fails anyway, because my family rarely wants to play any game with me, saying I "always win", which is arguable.

I find people rather hypocritical at this. I don't really mind losing if I am having fun at a game and find it challenging, as happened when I was younger, but now that I win, no one seems to want to play...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 2:44 am

Well--it's like a golf handicap. You know how if somebody is playing somebody else in golf, and they're much better, they get a penalty at the beginning of the game to make up for it, so the two people can have an even match with equal chances of winning? It's kind of like that; you handicap yourself by deliberately using sub-optimal strategies, so that you and the other person can have an equal match.

But I can see why you wouldn't like it. It's not competitive anymore and it doesn't really present a challenge for you. Competitive games where the competitors are very unevenly matched aren't really fun.

I think, if you don't like to "go easy on someone", then you would probably be better off just playing games where there wasn't a winner--cooperative games, instead of competitive ones. Like, say, building a pillow fort instead of playing checkers; or playing catch instead of playing tag. That way, nobody feels bored because they have to limit themselves, and nobody feels patronized because somebody has let them win.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:03 am

I don't let people win. They usually tend to beat me fair and square on the first try..without me going easy. :cry:

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:42 am

Well if you don't let them win, they will not want to play the game any more with you. I normally pick the hardest item to use in a computer game.

Like the slowest, worse handling car.
or a knife or handgun or shotgun. Instead of a automatic weapon.
or blindly hit the balls in pool, rather than using trick shots.

etc...

but really if you don't want them, not to want to play with you.

Just let them win, can allways find someone who will give you a run for your money.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:08 am

TechnoDog wrote:
Well if you don't let them win, they will not want to play the game any more with you. I normally pick the hardest item to use in a computer game.

Like the slowest, worse handling car.
or a knife or handgun or shotgun. Instead of a automatic weapon.
or blindly hit the balls in pool, rather than using trick shots.

etc...

but really if you don't want them, not to want to play with you.

Just let them win, can allways find someone who will give you a run for your money.
I tend to get my ass beat regardless. :(

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:12 am

Mithos wrote:

how about, person been the other way, with 1 eye shut looking through a mirror? or sat upside down?

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:23 am

TechnoDog wrote:
Mithos wrote:

how about, person been the other way, with 1 eye shut looking through a mirror? or sat upside down?
That could work. :lol:

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 5:17 am

for me 'going easy' means not using dirty (but legal) tricks in the game; like, dont force them to lose the queen in chess, dont hide your flag behind a full set of bombs in stratego, be more willing to trade property in monopoly...

mindmapper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Feb 2012, 7:13 am

I'm not good at letting other people win. I either play too hard, or too easy. Both of those can make an opponent annoyed.

Yesterday I was playing chess with a friend and I was constantly winning. During the last match we played when he had to make a move, he asked me what I would do, since he didn't have any good plans. I told him a winning combination of moves. That worked, I lost :lol: