Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

esh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Location: A Consciousness Between Quarks (My physical presence belongs to Estonia)

12 Mar 2011, 9:51 am

Do you ever feel as if people are walking statues, objects... A crowd is a huge mass of scattered objects, which push on you, suffocate you? I have recently came to the realization that this is one of the main reasons why I meltdown in crowds. Not only it is related to my sensory problems, but also how I feel about people. From my conversations with non-autistics, it seems that they do not feel about people this way. The fact that all of them are moving and in different places also pressurizes me, tires me out, and eventually I can't even speak properly.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 10:07 am

No, I don't have that problem. My sensory issues are mainly of the social variety, and tactile. Of course, there are good parts to these sensory issues as well. When I meet someone, I see everything, but at the same time it overwhelms me.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2011, 10:09 am

I feel people are objects, yes. Sometimes I even see them as totally worthless, not worth meeting, but it frightens me all the time that if I don't talk to people, I'll paint the words "Target" or "Psychopath" on my back, and I can get in trouble, so I talk to people from time to time.

wornways
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2011, 11:09 am

I feel that people are a doomed and finite species who suffer from an infinity complex. People will not outlive the current chronozone.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 1:33 pm

I have never felt like this. I also don't have issues with crowds, in fact, I am going to a concert tonight and I assume it will be loud and crowded and that excites me.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Last edited by ocdgirl123 on 12 Mar 2011, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 1:45 pm

I think they're delicious.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 1:48 pm

i couldn't eat a whole one though ^.

i dislike 95% of them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 1:49 pm

esh wrote:
Do you ever feel as if people are walking statues, objects... A crowd is a huge mass of scattered objects, which push on you, suffocate you? I have recently came to the realization that this is one of the main reasons why I meltdown in crowds. Not only it is related to my sensory problems, but also how I feel about people. From my conversations with non-autistics, it seems that they do not feel about people this way. The fact that all of them are moving and in different places also pressurizes me, tires me out, and eventually I can't even speak properly.

I can handle crowds. I feel distant in them. I don't bother concentrating. I space out. I guess that's how I deal with them. I also like to keep moving, not stay in one part of the crowd. Maybe I am random, too, and fit into the algorithm of the crowd because I move, also.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 1:49 pm

I've never felt like people were objects. I do have issues with crowds, but it's because people are very real to me and being touched by another person is intimate and must be something I invite. Crowds are rude and have no concept of 'keep your body parts to yourself'.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 4:09 pm

I've always felt a certain detachment from other people. It's almost a feeling of being lost when I'm around them. I have a lot of uncertainty around them too. I wonder what it is they think (about me usually) and I wonder why it is they do things so easily. I've always felt like I'm the one who is somehow different but not in a good way. When i was younger I used to believe i was the only person who viewed the world from a first person perspective. It always seemed to me that others were always more adapt at well, being people. So I assumed I had a deficit of not being able to view the world from a 360 degree perspective.

I also wondered how it is that people are so care free about doing things in front of other people. This made me feel even more isolated as I believed everyone must be the same if they are capable of doing this, and I must be different because I'm not. Another funny feeling about people is that I always feel like they can see me, but I can't really see them and thus as a result they can judge me but I can't really judge them.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 4:12 pm

Many people seem to have very limited perceptions and understanding.

They seem to focus on superficial and arbitrary things.

They seem content but not very interesting, although they seem somewhat more interested in each other.

Xenia
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2011, 4:30 pm

It depends what mood I am in or what I am doing but I have noticed at times that I have not related to to other humans as humans. They were objects when i worked in a shop, cashiers are objects, part of the shop, I am only starting to learn to look at people and think they are a person with feelings etc and not just an obstacle or something I could make use of.

I think I just made me sound horrible!! I'm not I like people too, I do think they can be nice and entertaining.
I don't like crowds in some situations but do like concerts and can handle a big city but I would no longer like to live in a big city or stand in a crowd at a concert, i need to be in the seated area.

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2011, 12:32 pm

Yes, on my walks I hate to even look at people when I pass them, because that would mean acknowledging them which intimidates me, people intimidate me. As long as they're objects in my peripheral vision, it's easier to do things. In a crowd I tend to feel somewhat numb as the crowd of people is an object itself, and even if I'm standing in the middle of it, I feel alone in the group of people.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 1:44 pm

Interesting.

I haven't considered people as objects. My ex-husband used to refer to the majority of people as "cardboard" and considered it our mission to find the real people amidst the cardboard. I always considered that unnecessarily elitist from someone who played Diablo and drank kool-aid with tequila all day.

When I was little, I used to get lost in contemplating how every person has an individual perspective that is unique to them, an individual breathing pattern, schedule, priorities, goals, opinions, etc. That each car on the road had a person within. I'd visualize existence in layers upon layers. Even though this type of overwhelming realization of life would be enough to prove to Bill O'Reilly that God exists, it's been a continuous realization that has made me doubt the existence of a god... which is something that I mostly keep to myself. After I developed thanatophobia from a near-death trauma, those very thoughts would trigger me into an intense anxiety attack. I still have the inclination to get lost in this layered imagery but I've learned to stop myself.

Still, despite the neurotic phobia, I understand that every person represents an individual life that is as equally occupied and important as mine. I make the effort to be a considerate stranger.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Apr 2011, 1:59 pm

Meh.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 3:13 pm

Not sure. I generally avoid people (for example, I rarely greet or talk to my classmates and coworkers, I don't talk to women I'm interested in, I like being alone most of the time), but, for reasons I can't quite understand, I wish I had better social skills. Go figure.