Had my first and final experience ever with a Karaoke Bar

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:29 pm

One night before my 30th birthday, my girlfriend's Dad and his fiance told us to head to this local karaoke bar in my town. I was assuming they probably had something up their sleeve for my birthday or something, so I just said "ok".

Now, come on: it's a karaoke bar, and it's in the central hub of the area; yeah, I expected a crowd; I do get anxious, and I get sensory overload too. I'm one of those folks though that just says "ef it", and jumps in head first.

Was the experience as scary as I thought it would be? Well yes...but not for the reasons I expected.

First of all, the majority of the crowd was old folks, which was a strong departure from what I thought was gonna be there.

However, yes, karaoke bars are very loud, and I have auditory sensitivity; also, everything drowned out everything else. See, even when I go to very social activities, I need something I can invest in; something that will hold my attention despite all the other inconveniences. This is why I'd be more accepting of a Comic Con or something like that.

Unfortunately, outside of hearing my girlfriend singing a few times, I didn't get this. My stress levels had built up so high over the past few days, that my nose was bleeding like mad several times over, and I even wound up bleeding all over the floor, and it had to be quickly mopped up by the staff.

I figured at least I could get a picture of my girlfriend or two while she did her karaoke; the pictures came out horrible because the lighting wasn't that great, and the one spot where I got the best shot...was right next to a speaker, and feedback slammed right into my eardrum while taking the pictures.

So I spent most of the night just sitting at the table nearly falling asleep, and getting pissed off because her "stepmom" kept trying to talk to me, and couldn't understand what I was saying, though she could perfectly understand her stepdaughter.

What I fail to understand there is that I'm the guy with the super-loud voice that they can't hear, but my girlfriend they had no problem hearing; I think it's just a social vibe thing.

All in all, a terrible experience, and I certainly won't be going back, though I'm glad my girlfriend enjoys it. I did tell her that I realize this is how she'd feel at an economics forum.

Any of you have similar experiences?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:49 pm

I think my first would be my last as well.

So far, though, I've been successful at preventing a first.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:01 pm

Normally I wouldn't have even attempted to go to one.

They just said they wanted to meet us there, so I figured "a'right, I'll give it a go".

And no, I don't jump in head first as a desire to with these circumstances, more because it seems like I kinda gotta do it at times.

I just couldn't believe my girlfriend's "stepmom" told me "it's something you have to get used to". Um no...no I don't.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:42 am

I don't like karaoke. I've been in bars that had karaoke night before and at least in my town it didn't really help their business any. I actually don't go to bars at all any more. I don't drink alcohol ever. I don't even know how many years it's been since I've been in a bar.

I definitely wouldn't sing it and no one can make me.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:12 pm

dude, upon going into the bar I had zero intention of singing. As the night went on, if anyone even tried to convince me to, I would've beat the crap out of them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:25 pm

I sing horribly off key and can probably make your ears bleed, so I've never been to a karaoke bar. I'd probably be arrested for assault with a deadly weapon as soon as I opened my mouth to sing and eardrums started exploding all over the bar.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

I'm tone deaf and have no pitch; I don't mind getting up in front of people if it's talking about a subject I'm actually knowledgeable about, but I don't so much enjoy the thought of doing it in situations like that, and especially if you saw how badly the night was going for me.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I actually surprisingly heard a guy butcher a Weird Al parody. Let me repeat that: a guy butchered a Weird Al parody. I never thought I'd see the day where that was something attempted at karaoke.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

I did sing. Kind of.

impulse94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2012, 9:33 am

I can carry a tune OK, but doing karaoke the first time was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. I have since done it several more times and enjoyed it more each time. It can be like putting on an act, being "out of character", so to speak. Since then I have rarely let the possibility of looking foolish keep me from doing something fun.

Quote:
So I spent most of the night just sitting at the table nearly falling asleep, and getting pissed off because her "stepmom" kept trying to talk to me, and couldn't understand what I was saying, though she could perfectly understand her stepdaughter.

It may be just due to the different pitches of the voices. Her higher pitch was probably perfectly easy to hear over the noise, where your lower register is much harder to pick up as all the other noise interfered with it.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 4:50 pm

I simply do not have the guts to stand and sing on my own, let alone in a bar with other people looking at me! 8O

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135