Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jay_1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2012, 12:51 pm

I just wanted to check my inferences here to see if others have experienced something similar. How do you walk? what is your usual standing posture? what do you feel like when you're walking? anxious that other will notice something? I've noticed I sometimes get a painful "sprained" arch when I walk that lasts for a few days and is somewhat stabbing. I avoid feeling it by walking on the side of my feet as in the outer edge of my feet make contact with the ground. Now I tend to do this even when I don't have a sprain. If this is an aerial view of two parallel feet: | | I tend to walk with my feet in this position: \ / I feel like it's a subconscious method of attaining better balance by having more of my weight supported laterally. The transition from winter to summer is also not easy because I don't have a jacket pocket to put my hands in when I walk. I don't know what to do with my arms. I can force a swing but it's effortful and doesn't look very authentic. I am also very hunched sometimes. When I am really intensely involved in something, I hunch, shoulders up and forward, back bent. I find I am more comfortable that way and have to make an effort not to do it in public. I used to just not care but it's really obvious and I've become anxious and self-conscious enough to remind myself to straighten up my posture.

Last edited by Jay_1 on 24 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm

As far as I know I walk normally. However, when I stand I usually have a gentle sway happening with my hands on my hips. I like the way it feels. I like a gentle rocking motion.

NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

Upright

I seemingly don't sway my arms (never noticed it until it was pointed out)

A stiff posture, though hunched at the shoulders and neck

If I'm out and around people (lots of sensory blah), my left arm and hand will usually curl up against my chest (my mother calls this the, "broken wing")

My feet seem to move normally, though I kinda drag them

There's several things specific to ASDs there, above, that I do [that I never knew I did until it was pointed out]. I don't care what people think of me.

E27
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2012, 1:12 pm

If I am walking for a long time somewhere where I am not having sensory problems (such as going hiking), then I walk pretty normal. Must times other than that, I curl my arms in to my chest are at least do not swing them right.

Screenager

24 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

I kind of walk like this / \ with my foots inwards and I have done so as long as I can remember. My mom often notice this and tells me that it looks sloppy and weird, but I can't really help it.

ymir
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2012, 2:19 pm

I don't sway much with my arms either, they just "dangle". Other then that i don't think there is anything very noticeable about the way i walk. But i do feel funny at times, as if one leg is a bit longer then the other, or that my hipbone is a tad unstable.

hystericthumb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2012, 2:25 pm

I recently noticed that my left arm doesn't sway very much, my right one moves a little bit more but not much.

Did anyone ever seen Timothy Olyphant walk (DeadWood, Hitman, Justified) ? His arms are almost always next to his body when he walks... :)

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 2:27 pm

I walk somewhat normally, although I tend to stare down or read as I walk.

I also end up keeping pace to whatever music or constant rhythm I hear.

You will reap what you've sown.

snpeden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

I've noticed that when I walk, my jeans constantly rub together at the bottom. I don't know why and can't remember not walking this way. No one else seems to walk like this though, and I've been told people know it's me coming because they can hear my pants rubbing together.
Could be because I'm one of the few people I know absolutely addicted to flared-leg jeans. Can't stand the straighter varieties.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

I've never been able to go down stairs the "correct" way and I always wondered why that was such a bad thing. It used to bother me, but that was becuase I was brainwashed into thinking it was something bad. It's very obvious I can't go down stairs like a normal person but now days if anyone says anything about it, I just flip my middle finger at them.

Jay_1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2012, 3:05 pm

abacacus wrote:
I walk somewhat normally, although I tend to stare down or read as I walk.

I also end up keeping pace to whatever music or constant rhythm I hear.

Yes! that too. I forgot to charge my iPod the other day (that has never happened before) I then realized that that is my adult ritual and I cannot be outdoors without the noise isolation + music. I also walk to the beat. I am also very aware of other peoples walking pace and tend to synchronise with them for some twisted reason. I don't like doing that so I often skip a step. I feel like someone has the sense of the synchrony and it might come off as stalker-like. I can't know for sure but I take extra precaution if people actually do think that way. But yeah, looking at the ground nearly all the time. I think it's visual feedback for balance. Does anyone swerve about? I imagine I look almost drunk, not in a stumbly way, but I slowly meander. I never keep a linear trajectory and I often drift to the left side of a walkway with lots of people coming head-on then have to avoid them.

Thanks for the posts!

- J

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:05 pm

My right leg is a bit twisted, and maybe a little shorter than the other. I notice I walk or stand on the outer edge of my right foot a lot, but not the left one.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I've never been able to go down stairs the "correct" way and I always wondered why that was such a bad thing. It used to bother me, but that was becuase I was brainwashed into thinking it was something bad. It's very obvious I can't go down stairs like a normal person but now days if anyone says anything about it, I just flip my middle finger at them.

I was always being reminded of how uncordinated I was. I still can't go down steps without having to turn my whole body. I was even in occupational therapy for a while, mostly for my sensory intergration disorder, but most of this so called "therapy" focused on "fixing" me. Maybe I'm just exgerating or "not seeing things for how they really were", like my mom always says I do, but the OT seemed to enjoy watching me go down stairs becuase of the unsual way I did so. I also never wanted to change. I might walk a little funny, but my walk is me.

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

24 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

I walk like this | / or this \ / and I have always swayed my arms a lot, my mom often asks me if I'm trying to fly :roll:, some friends point it out to me too (or they hold my arms so I stop swaying them), so I try to don't sway them but it feels strange.

Last edited by Doubutsu on 24 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN04Bi8jveA[/youtube]

When my muscular condition is bothering me, I really walk like this, the Riker Walk.

Last edited by shrox on 24 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:38 pm

Jay_1 wrote:
I just wanted to check my inferences here to see if others have experienced something similar. How do you walk? what is your usual standing posture? what do you feel like when you're walking? anxious that other will notice something? I've noticed I sometimes get a painful "sprained" arch when I walk that lasts for a few days and is somewhat stabbing. I avoid feeling it by walking on the side of my feet as in the outer edge of my feet make contact with the ground. Now I tend to do this even when I don't have a sprain. If this is an aerial view of two parallel feet: | | I tend to walk with my feet in this position: \ / I feel like it's a subconscious method of attaining better balance by having more of my weight supported laterally. The transition from winter to summer is also not easy because I don't have a jacket pocket to put my hands in when I walk. I don't know what to do with my arms. I can force a swing but it's effortful and doesn't look very authentic. I am also very hunched sometimes. When I am really intensely involved in something, I hunch, shoulders up and forward, back bent. I find I am more comfortable that way and have to make an effort not to do it in public. I used to just not care but it's really obvious and I've become anxious and self-conscious enough to remind myself to straighten up my posture.

Do you have high arches by any chance? I have very high arches and walk with my feet turned outwards (a bit like your feet position). I used to get laughed at, at school, for this.