Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

When I woke up this morning (about an hour and a halfish ago) my mum comes up to me looking absolutely exhausted and says, deadpan:

"There is a bat in the house, and it woke me up because it sh*t in my eye."

I still can't help lapsing into giggles! :P

Something my dad, my brother and I — all of us are aspies with the exception of my *ahem* batty mother (sorry!) — are prone to is laughing way longer than any NT will. You know how someone might tell a joke (whether in a social gathering or in a theatre performance or what-have-you) and pretty much everyone will laugh for a few seconds and then move on? While everyone else has jumped three topics and is discussing something deadly serious, we're still playing that joke over in our brains and doing these elaborate facial contortions in an attempt not to burst into laughter and draw attention to ourselves.

I'm pretty sure this is a reasonably common Aspie thing. So, what keeps you laughing hours, weeks, even years after everybody else has stopped? :mrgreen:

It was tense.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 6:41 pm

When a seagull pooped on my mom's dress at someone's wedding. I just about died laughing during the ceremony. It was on the beach, haha. I still laugh about it.

There was one time I was at a store called The Andersons and my ex knocked a cake off a shelf and it landed upside down. He picked it up, wiggled it to get it unstuck from the top, set it upright and walked away without blinking an eye. He's an Aspie. I think I almost peed myself when it put it back. It was literally smeared all over the top! Hahahahahaha.

soulecho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2012, 6:46 pm

I horse around (as in quasi-violent play) with a girl/woman at work every afternoon. Today, she snuck up from behind a car and pushed me.

In retaliation I reached down to the ground, tore the head off of a dandelion and threw it at her-- just as she opened up her mouth to say something. The dandelion went in.

I couldn't stop laughing for an hour.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 9:06 pm

One time when I was grocery-shopping with my mom, we got to the section with the trash bags and she got irritated. I asked her what was wrong and she replied, in a totally serious manner, "I'm so irritated that we have to spend money on trash bags, when all we do is wind up throwing them away!" She said that several months ago, and I still think it's hilarious. We joke about it every time we go shopping together.

Another time, when I was in my early teens, my mom and I were having an emotional discussion and she used the figure of speech "rears its ugly head" (which means a problem that keeps resurfacing) and I immediately pictured a scene in my mind of a funny-looking beast grazing in the grass and suddenly looking up. I don't know why, but I thought that was hilarious so the whole moment went from being emotional and intense to me laughing about that expression and my mom laughing at my reaction to it. I laughed for a couple of hours after she said it.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2012, 6:03 am

I can't think of any examples right now, but I do this too! I never thought it might be an Aspie trait.

Love the bat.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:11 am

One morning my cousin was leaving to go to work (he stayed with us at the time). Just as he was going out the gate, 6 horses and a donkey came charging along the road. My mum shouted, 'Get in, quick', and he ran back into the garden just in time. She phoned the emergency services and I remember her telling them that, although it was early in the morning, she wasn't recalling a dream. I'm laughing now as I type this. It was such a funny sight, especially the little donkey tagging along. And it was so unexpected in a suburb. They had managed to escape from a field about a mile away and were rounded up and taken back.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Apr 2012, 6:38 am

Here are some events that I found incredibly amusing (taken from my childhood):

*person sitting down in movie theatre in front of me and the folding seat sprung up---their soda and popcorn went all over them

*in the same theatre as above, a lady in high heels was walking down the aisle near me when her high heel got stuck in a heating grate in the floor, then her high broke off and she had to walk funny to get to her seat

*in the same theatre (really a funny place) my best friend and I were watching Silver Streak when the film got stuck in the old projector, then we saw the projected image of the frozen frame burning up

*at Howard's Restaurant in Gatlinburg, a waitress slipped in spilled beer and slid into a wall of dishes which came tumbling down and breaking everywhere (no one got hurt), wow, did she ever use swear words

*at a Ponderosa steak house a waiter dropped a whole tray of food and the baked potatoes rolled across the floor

*at the same Ponderosa steak house, a woman rushing to the restroom tripped on a piece of baked potato skin stuck to the floor

*at Carter Caves campgroung in Kentucky my best and I were camping with our families, we had just set down to eat our breakfast when a bird pooped on my best friend's dad's plate beside his scrambled eggs---he gagged and ran inside the trailer

*my best friend's dad was clowning around outside and let a giant fart, then he got a terrible look on his face and said, "It's a running," then he ran inside the house to clean up

*at Cedar Point amusement park in Ohio, a woman got off a roller coaster in hysterics, she jumped up and down, rolled on the floor, and began alternating screaming and laughing

Those are a few---I will try to think of some more.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 7:11 am

When I was a kid, the mother of one of my friends was playing 'tag' with a few of us neighborhood kids, and ran right into a tree (she wasn't hurt).

Also when I was a kid, during a big thunderstorm, one of our neighbors' (old, cylindrical, metal-style) garbage cans, blown by the wind, rolled straight down the street and went right past our house.

Another one when I was a kid (so many of these from childhood...) My mom, grandma and I were out doing errands, and stopped at the liquor store. When my mom was walking from the car to the door, a guy in a big white Cadillac pulled up and was so busy watching my mom, that he hit the side of the store with his car! (Mom was quite a looker back in the day.) Grandma and I both laughed over that one for quite a while. :lol:

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 7:18 am

glider18 wrote:
*at Howard's Restaurant in Gatlinburg, a waitress slipped in spilled beer and slid into a wall of dishes which came tumbling down and breaking everywhere (no one got hurt), wow, did she ever use swear words

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine was at the after school bicycle club, and the teacher got a few of the class to race along the straight side of the school field while the rest of us watched. It was a fun, though uneventful race up until the moment the winner crossed the finish line, and he put the front brakes on a little too hard. The front wheel stopped suddenly, and the momentum flipped the rest of the bicycle forwards in a perfect 180 degree arc, taking my friend with it and slamming him into the ground. All of us watching just fell about laughing. :lol:

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2012, 10:13 am

This is amazing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets stuck on stuff like this. The problem is that it's never funny when I try to tell the story to anyone else. :lol:

A couple years ago my grandma bought her first SUV and was just getting used to driving it. The controls were really touchy compared to the car she'd had before and she had a tendency of accidentally overshooting the speed limit by 10-15 mph from pressing on the gas pedal too hard. One day when she parked the car but left the engine running while she was dropping me off at school. We heard this really loud, awful growling sound and she started looking around the parking lot. She started complaining about how early it was to have a weed eater going until I pointed out that she was holding the gas pedal down.
We still call her "Lead Foot" whenever she's driving that car.

Waitresses tend to drop glasses of water and soda on my head, so I have a ton of those stories, too. So many free meals...

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 1:50 am

i get more bang for the buck with my yuks :lol:

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm

My mom telling me that my brother threw one of his classmates over the table. :lol: I'm still laughing, and I was told this at 8:30 NY Time. Now it's midnight, and it's still funny. I guess it's imagining my 11 year old brother with ADHD throwing a fellow student over a table. :lol:

Oh so funny...

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 4:07 am

You'll have to click this as it won't post the image, but it had me laughing for hours!

http://cdn.svcs.c2.uclick.com/c2/9ad465b4250b102d94d7001438c0f03b

And this menu translation still has me crying with laughter today!

http://www.rahoi.com/2006/03/may-i-take-your-order/

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2012, 7:22 pm

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
You'll have to click this as it won't post the image, but it had me laughing for hours!

http://cdn.svcs.c2.uclick.com/c2/9ad465b4250b102d94d7001438c0f03b

And this menu translation still has me crying with laughter today!

http://www.rahoi.com/2006/03/may-i-take-your-order/

I've been reading through the menu, and I'm laughing so hard that I scared the little kid at the next table. She thinks I'm laughing at her, I think. :lol:
I'm going to be laughing about this for a long, long time.

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 11:08 pm

Yes, I do this too, but it never occurred to me before that this might be an Aspie thing. Sometimes I'll have a funny memory from years ago triggered by something in a serious conversation and start grinning. People then either think I'm laughing at them or that I'm just weird.