Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 3:14 pm

I cannot understand why all of sudden I am getting support (including a Social Worker) since I've been diagnosed as a person with Aspergers.

The thing is that I was born with Aspergers (and ADHD) and have found life very difficult right from the beginning, and yet I got no support then; but now it has a name & I have a label the services have "jumped to attention" and suddenly I am about to receive the support that I've always needed.

Well, at long last I will be able to access services which will enable me to overcome many of the obstacles that have previously prevented me from moving forwards.
It's good news :D

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:27 pm

I kind of wish they would assign social workers like that in the US. I'm pretty sure I probably qualify for all sorts of assistance programs I'm not aware of, but I have no one to turn to for advice or assistance, and I am easily overwhelmed by paperwork and bureaucratic twits.

But, my luck, I'd get one who just wanted to draw a paycheck and ride out the clock and they'd be no help at all. :roll:

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 4:35 pm

I'm glad you're getting the help you need... Better late than never! :)

At the moment I'm managing without any assistance aside from my family, but I like to believe that if my circumstances changed, I would be able to find help too!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 7:01 pm

Is that what happens in the UK? I didn't know that diagnosis automatically got you a social worker and info on support and help. Nobody mentioned that! I thought you just get your diagnosis and that's that. Good to know there is follow-up assistance.

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2014, 7:28 pm

awesome news. It is a bit frustrating that services are hard to come by when your struggles aren't recognised (or you fall through the gaps). I am happy for you! And I hope that you get what you need.

In my own case, I am my own social worker. :lol:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm

I wish we had our own volunteer / advocacy organizations to perhaps provide supplemental support.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 8:44 am

StarCity wrote:
I cannot understand why all of sudden I am getting support (including a Social Worker) since I've been diagnosed as a person with Aspergers.

The thing is that I was born with Aspergers (and ADHD) and have found life very difficult right from the beginning, and yet I got no support then; but now it has a name & I have a label the services have "jumped to attention" and suddenly I am about to receive the support that I've always needed.

Well, at long last I will be able to access services which will enable me to overcome many of the obstacles that have previously prevented me from moving forwards.
It's good news :D

that is what labels are for unfortunately,besides placing stigma and huge limitations on people they help getting things like support and benefits.

have also had a social worker for many years under the the SS learning disability team but theyre hit and miss-have had loads of them,some will go above and beyond their duty others are useless;theyre bogged down with to many clients to help.

if are interested in making sure the best people get to work with the client group [and also in making money ;) ]woud recommend asking social worker if can be added to their interview panels for jobs-they will do this and they also pay very well for it ;) .
because of having been sectioned in a acute learning disability hospital in a completely different borough [CWP] am allowed to work for them and also the one am usualy under [trafford] so am able to get more involvement,its great because they choose staff based on what we say and not just use us for presentation like some companies do [names withheld]. :roll:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 11:24 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
if are interested in making sure the best people get to work with the client group [and also in making money ;) ]woud recommend asking social worker if can be added to their interview panels for jobs-they will do this and they also pay very well for it ;)

Hi, if you have a chance, can you please explain a little more how this works.

And I'm assuming this is specific to the UK?