Could this be my problem and how do I deal with it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2012, 10:19 am

I think I have executive functioning problems in accordance to mathematics. I have problems with steps in maths;however I'm able to understand the concept fine but I can't do steps I will always make one error.

Something from my Diagnosis:

Communication: (My Name) has been assessed by Speech and language Therapist Rebecca Matthews and found to have a delay in language in expression and comprehension in two years behind her cognitive functioning. (MyName) had auditory processing difficulties and as a result difficulties following in instructions?

Could that be why I'm not so good at following steps in maths, if not who should I see to try and resolve this problem of mine with following steps in maths also, sometimes words confuse me in questions and I get misled especially word problems.

Who should I see and do you guys have any solutions to my problems?

MrPickles
Raven
Raven

14 May 2012, 3:22 am

Hi

I can feel your pain. My problem was with word problems - It was mind numbing trying to convert words into the mathematical form of the problem. I often could not get there no mater how hard I tried. In my case time help fix my problem with word problems in a couple of different ways. One slowly over time I figured how to get the word problem converted as at least part of the problem when encountered in real life often lent itself to my own methods of setting it up (I guess I would call my methods were asper style that I could wrap my head around). Two - in real life many of the situations in Math word problems never arose so I was not confronted very often thus relieving the problem in another way. So - I suspect you will find these thing happening to some extent to you as time passes.

This last school year My son (also an Asperger's personality) started having understanding and dealing with new math problems when one teacher was replaced by another. We found some real help for him at http://kahnacademe.com -- so before giving up and/or beating yourself up - give it a try.

Found on http://jacobbarnett.org/ -- If you are suffering from Autism - you're doing it wrong!