Are aspies more sensitive to tinnitus and/or hyperacusis?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 2:21 pm

Don't tell me this is a yes...

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2012, 2:24 pm

I have tinnitus from my work as a musician. Other musicians I have played with, exposed to the same sound pressure, do not report tinnitus. I tend to put in my earplugs at a lower volume than others in the band.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 2:32 pm

mushroo wrote:
I have tinnitus from my work as a musician. Other musicians I have played with, exposed to the same sound pressure, do not report tinnitus. I tend to put in my earplugs at a lower volume than others in the band.

Same thing here, although I think I had the tinnitus start before I started playing LOUD music, haha.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 2:34 pm

Well, glad I'm not the only one, I'm only 24 ffs

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 3:24 pm

I have tinnitus, I'm not sure how or what caused it, I've not listened to much excessive music. I've had a long history of really bad ear infections though, one resulted in a perforated ear drum. The reason I mention it, is I recall seeing "many ear infections as a child" as one of those tick boxes on ADHD screening questionnaires, there must be some relationship, however slight. Maybe someone else has some idea.

Jason

raylit20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2012, 3:46 pm

I have tinnitus as well. In fact I hear a slight hissing/buzzing sound right now as I type.

My hearing as a child was very good, and I am very thankful it has gotten much worse over the years. I am not nearly as sensitive to sounds any more.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2012, 3:48 pm

I have had extremely loud, painful, and constant tinnitus my entire life, I honestly can't remember a day without it, my family remembers me mentioning it as a toddler. I probably suffer from hyperacusis as well because I react to sounds most people can't even hear, and this can also be excruciating. I don't doubt that with all of our other sensory issues, that people on the spectrum are more prone to it, but I don't believe we're the only ones who can get it (Not saying OP does, just felt the need to put it in.)

EDIT: I just looked it up, hyperacusis causes can include Autism spectrum disorder (including AS)

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 9:15 pm

I have tinnitus and it can be pretty severe sometimes.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 10:17 pm

I have tinnitus too. Probably from shooting guns most of my life.
It's pretty annoying at night, but I don't really notice it during the day.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:25 am

I wear earplugs, at one of the Zumba classes I go to. No-one else seems in the least bit bothered by the noise. Without the earplugs, I'd have to stop going to that one, as it sometimes feel like my ears are screaming/exploding. With the earplugs, I'm able to enjoy the music loads more and I've been able to hear sounds I didn't know were on some tunes.

As for tinnitus, I get this intermittently, but I fear I'm heading the same way as my Dad, who the doc thinks might have Meniere's.