Do some NTs see being autistic as playing mindgames on them?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

I've been wondering if this is true...

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 3:47 pm

Someone out there believes every stupid idea, so probably. That said, it sounds like something not likely to be thought by anyone who doesn't have some degree of paranoia.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 6:51 pm

Yes, a few NTs have. They were all mental health professionals who had seen my incorrect diagnosis of "borderline personality disorder". Because I supposedly had BPD, anything I did must automatically be manipulative.

Once that diagnosis got taken off my record, they magically took my actions at face value, nobody accused me of manipulating, and a couple even laughed out loud at the suggestion that I might even be manipulative. Imagine that. :roll:

I don't know how people with actual BPD ever manage to recover, being stereotyped and treated with constant suspicion like that. It's hard enough tp deal with that when you don't have BPD (i.e., have a strong self-concept and don't get swayed too much by the people around you). If you are Borderline, and you have the usual problems with figuring out who you are, controlling your emotions, and trying to put even a fuzzy boundary between yourself and others, it can be very problematic if people have expectations like that of you. How are you supposed to figure out who you are when everybody is telling you that you're a bad-tempered, unpredictable, manipulative, generally nasty person--even when they have never seen you act that way?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com