Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2012, 10:22 am

I'm in the process of getting a diagnosis, and over the last weeks I've taken the RAADS-R and several other, shorter tests with my psychologist.

She's scored them and agrees that it seems like I might have Asperger's.

I won't see her again until August because of both her and my vacation, but we talked last time about how she wanted to also do some ability tests when we start meeting again and that we'd probably spend a few weeks (one appointment pr. week) on this.

She didn't go into detail about WHAT specifically those tests were, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows what kinds of tests it might be.

Are there any ability tests that are common when it comes to diagnosing Asperger's?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

Well, not specifically for AS, but most assessments include IQ testing, which will generally also give you subscale scores. Subtest variability suggests a more neurologically-based condition like AS, ADHD, LD, etc, and certain subtest patterns (high Block Design, low Comprehension, VIQ>PIQ) are often associated with AS in particular.

Also, you might get the 'reading the mind in the eyes' test. This gives you a bunch of pictures of people's eyes, and you have to indicate what emotion they're feeling. AS people, naturally, tend to be poor at this, although some score in the normal range (it's easier to recognize emotion in a still picture than in real-time).

But really, it's hard to say. There isn't a universal test battery for AS, it's up to the individual clinician's preference.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 5:35 pm

Fluke83 wrote:
I'm in the process of getting a diagnosis, and over the last weeks I've taken the RAADS-R and several other, shorter tests with my psychologist.

Out of curiosity, how high did you score? I got a total score of 155, thats 90 above the threshold values for suspected ASD(males). However, 59 of those points where in "Social relatedness", and I have Social Anxiety Disorder(still above the threshold though).

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2012, 12:21 pm

I don't know what her score was, but when I took the test on my own after we were done with it I scored 131.

I tried to answer exactly like I did when I took it with her.