Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 5:11 pm

Do you ever notice them? I think we know they're neurotic because they're the sort of things we do that neither benefit ourselves or others, and yet we're compelled to do them without any pleasure to ourselves. I think that the more traits we have the less happy we are - this isn't simply personality, these traits appear to be remnants of broken experiences.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 7:52 pm

So... no one wants to admit their traits? I'd be interested in whatever anyone might think neurosis is about, from an AS perspective.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Jul 2012, 7:55 pm

I have to look up "neurosis" to find out what they are.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 8:52 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Do you ever notice them? I think we know they're neurotic because they're the sort of things we do that neither benefit ourselves or others, and yet we're compelled to do them without any pleasure to ourselves. I think that the more traits we have the less happy we are - this isn't simply personality, these traits appear to be remnants of broken experiences.

I have something with control. I think this problem is easily founded by a lack of it in dire circumstances.

I cannot put myself into things with unknowns, aka trust isssues.

These tendencies range from: afraid of deep water, to working under a car supported by jack stands, etc.

But, I took swimming lessons at 5 and I couldn't stomach or fathom swimming over the drain of the pool. I would look down at the man hole as I was swimming over them and causing me to get the 'butterflies' in my stomach. I was deathly afraid, but I knew I had to swim to satisfy the instructor - the two I balanced and did it anyway - but by myself never. Why at 5? I never had a bad experience as I had an easy childhood.

My guess is that the template is there for this irrationality, and a bad experience makes it instone.

Last edited by Mdyar on 08 Jul 2012, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 2:48 am

I have had persistent anxiety for most of my life. As a child, I had a persistent fear of losing my salvation (I am a Christian) and/or being left behind in the rapture, which often led to panic attacks. It took me many years to get over it as my dad (who I now suspect is on the spectrum) was hyper-critical of me and used the Bible as a figurative hammer to beat me over the head with and constantly call me evil. Please understand, this is not something I hold against Christianity but rather an explanation for an issue I suffered from in childhood. However, it took many years and my own reading of scripture to discover the truth about myself and the nature of God, man and sin. This is where the real healing began and why I didn't walk away from my faith.

As of now, I worry about a lot of things. I go through loops of thought where I rationalize negatively and see logic in situations developing in a way that they don't. Because I think constantly and spend a lot of time alone, things tend to build upon themselves. I worry about problems with my home, cars, job, and the people I associate with. This is especially true of those I know who are less than sane in a clinical sense. You never know when you will say something that will set them off and could lead to violence against you, others or themselves. I am an overly caring person, so I tend to try to fix people and situations more than I should and this leads to no shortage of sleepless nights.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:00 am

Seriously, by the time I finished a rough draft of my highlights, it would be next weekend.

EQ: 6.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:14 am

Quote:
What are your neurotic traits?

Typically
Neurotic

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2012, 3:52 am

I'm F.I.N.E.

Fracked up
Insecure
Neurotic
Emotional

:twisted:

I have a generalized anxiety of just about everything that might be dangerous. But I've done some incredibly dumb and dangerous things, fun at the time but in hindsight I'm lucky to be alive, most likely why I have a generalized anxiety of just about everything that might be dangerous. :wink:

I now have a healthy respect for electricity, took me being electrocuted four times to figure it out but I think I got it now. The first time I did it I was three, my parents left me alone on the floor of my room so they could have privacy for coitus. I stuck a bobby pin in a wall socket in the hallway (I thought I had the key to a lock), my legs shot out and I shoved myself into the drywall of the wall behind me.... my parants came rushing out, naked, to my screaming....... Coitus interruptus...... Three more near death electrocutions later, I will not go near a wall socket/electrical source without second guessing, heart palpitations. But I spend my days tearing apart and rebuilding electronics, It's fun and relaxing for me. :twisted:

I've bashed myself a lot, many broken bones. I'm hyper-aware where my body, mostly my head is in relation to hard, blunt immovable objects, I still have a crease in my forehead from drilling it into the edge of an open cupboard door, 12 years after the fact... I still bash myself regularly, just not to the point of grave injury, mostly. Spatial awareness is not my forté. Walking about in the dark, in campgrounds... I have a mini-meltdown when my flashlight flickers on the way back from the washroom. One of the reasons were getting out of the van and into a luxury fifthwheel or tow behind, no walking to the washroom in the dark out doors with a flickery flashlight, I still have to worry about bashing myself in the trailer, just not in the dark. I love camping though and I would never stop even if all we had was a tent. Camping is when I really feel my most calm, well hiking is but I don't get to do that anymore so i settle for camping. There are methods to my madness.

Speaking of madness, I'm to tired to be posting and I have lost the point of the thread.

Goodnight.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:55 pm

I have a lot of anxiety-related problems (including panic attacks, phobias, hypochondria and general worrying). I used to have severe OCD too, but medication put a stop to it.

Sometimes I also struggle with the desire to hurt myself or others. I have acted on it a couple of times in the past, but once again medication has helped to curb it.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2012, 5:20 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
Seriously, by the time I finished a rough draft of my highlights, it would be next weekend.

:lol: Bahaha.