Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

wokndead
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2012, 2:54 pm

I realized recently that I have a strange compulsion. Every single time I solve my Rubik's Cube, I reach for something to drink. If I have a drink next to me, I take a sip. If not, I'm confused for a few seconds. Thinking back, I think it's part of my puzzle obsession. I remember the last time I did a jigsaw puzzle, I had the same compulsion. On occasion, when I would place a piece, I would take a sip from whatever drink I had next to me. It was as if it was a reward to myself for coming one step closer to solving the puzzle. I've also found myself doing it at times when playing puzzle games on the computer. It's weird. I guess there are weirder compulsions than that, but I find that one somewhat amusing, for some reason. I don't really consider stims to be a compulsion, but I guess they are, in a way. Now I'm confusing myself. Your thoughts?

"Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried slamming a revolving door."

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:18 pm

I do something else. Pretty much every time I've solved my Rubik's Cube I spin it. I put one corner of the cube against my thumb and one corner against the middle finger (left hand) and spin the cube.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:23 pm

Whenever I come to a traffic signal with a "push to cross" button, I almost always press it three times. It just doesn't feel right to press it only once. 8O

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 3:24 pm

Every time I switch from one activity to another ... I have to have a cigarrette first.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

Line between compulsion & addiction can be nebulous, and thin.

EQ: 6.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 6:08 pm

FishStickNick wrote:
Whenever I come to a traffic signal with a "push to cross" button, I almost always press it three times. It just doesn't feel right to press it only once. 8O

I press it five times.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 6:50 pm

FishStickNick wrote:

Because once is never enough.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 6:51 pm

FishStickNick wrote:

I do that, too.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

tryptophan9
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2012, 7:57 pm

FishStickNick wrote:

Same here...

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 8:30 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
FishStickNick wrote:

Because once is never enough.

A few intersections have a feature that if you press it twice, you will get a longer walk signal.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 2:17 am

ghoti wrote:
A few intersections have a feature that if you press it twice, you will get a longer walk signal.

Oh, now that's useful! Often the signal doesn't last long enough for me to make it across.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:56 am

I have a compulsion that when I enter a restaurant, I have to grab a BUNCH of napkins.
For "safekeeping." I NEVER use them.

Thus, I have little hoards of napkins in random places. I have even bought more food from a restaurant to compensate for my napkin hoarding there...

Mom hoards napkins too, but she's practical about it. I'm not. The thicker the napkins are, the more "hoardable" they are.

Weird.

I also have to check a locked door three times before leaving a place. I also have to unplug lights in the house before leaving it.
Have to.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 6:15 am

After I've been playing with my Rubik's Cube I always have the same exact thought.

I think, "Why do I bother with this thing? I've been trying to do it for over thirty years and I still haven't managed it."