Do you get depressed if you can't acess obsessions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 11:39 pm

My depression has really gone downhill ever since my bearded dragon went into brumation. Whenever I got depressed or upset, I would get her out and play with her and she really seemed to help. But now that it's gotten colder and she has gone into her semi hibernation she needs to sleep and it's best to let them sleep. I've read that brumation time varies with each individual bearded dragon. If you've seen one brumating bearded dragon, you've seen one brumating bearded dragon. I've read that they can brumate anywhere from a few hours to up to six months.

I'm trying to convince my parents to let me have another pet but they keep saying no. Supposedly because we have too many animals. My parents just got a new puppy today because she reminds them so much of our dog we had to have put to sleep a few weeks ago. She's cute I guess but I'm not really a dog person.

I keep trying to convince my parents to let me have a hedgehog but so far the closest thing I can have is a Sonic plushie. My mom dosen't think real hedgies are friendly. I'm also kinda worried I will loose my Sonic obsession if I get a real hedgehog. My obsession with lizards started becuase of my Titan A.E. obsession but once I got Pippin, I imedidaly lost intrest in that movie. I don't know. Maybe not. Tails the fox/kitsune is really what got me into Sonic and I know you can get red foxes for pets, but I don't think there are any kitsune breeders around here.

I remember once my parents limited my computer time, when I was making my own video games and made me earn half an hour on the computer for every hour of school without a meltdown. I had a nervous break down.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 12:42 am

My kindle is one of the things that keeps me together. Ever since they've been available I've had a floating waterproof case for my kindle, and often take it into the bath with me. When my kindle case broke, I had the worst meltdown in my life, because I was so scared of losing my kindle.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 1:58 am

The only time I can't gain access to my obsessions is when my computer goes down, which rarely happens (thankfully). Sometimes it's due to a virus, which depresses me the most because it can take many days to fix the problem. Other times it's because we moved into a new house and the cable guy hasn't come yet, but that doesn't bother me as much because I'm busy fixing up my new room and enjoying that "new house" feeling.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 3:02 am

I ran out of books about AS which is my special interest. Luckily there is wrong planet.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 5:52 am

There are some days that I get depressed when I'm at work during the coffee break, because of this one guy who's a year older than me who doesn't care to take the time to understand and accept me as I am. I feel that I have to censor myself, because that guy is one of my NT peers and I've been afraid to talk about The Kinks on the days that he's been working the same 2 hour shifts that I do, and our coffee breaks only last 30-40 minutes. I was given a heads up by my supervisor not to mention anything about my said special interest when he's around and now I've been afraid of that guy ever since and the fact that he attacked me on account of my special interest even though I've only said one or two sentences about it to that relentlessly normal NT on two different occasions has made me clam up around him, that much more. He's only going to be with the company for 12 more days and I'm probably only going to be working with him twice over those 12 days.

After he's gone, I'll still be working on my small talk, but I'll be able to feel comfortable talking about my said special interest again. And my mum wonders why I hated high school. I was warned not to talk about my special interests when I was starting Grade 9, saying that once those kids found out what I liked, they will start bugging me about it and that made me clam right up around my peers and I was mute around them until I was just finishing Grade 11.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

18 Sep 2011, 8:14 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
There are some days that I get depressed when I'm at work during the coffee break, because of this one guy who's a year older than me who doesn't care to take the time to understand and accept me as I am. I feel that I have to censor myself, because that guy is one of my NT peers and I've been afraid to talk about The Kinks on the days that he's been working the same 2 hour shifts that I do, and our coffee breaks only last 30-40 minutes. I was given a heads up by my supervisor not to mention anything about my said special interest when he's around and now I've been afraid of that guy ever since and the fact that he attacked me on account of my special interest even though I've only said one or two sentences about it to that relentlessly normal NT on two different occasions has made me clam up around him, that much more. He's only going to be with the company for 12 more days and I'm probably only going to be working with him twice over those 12 days.

I know how that is...I tend to get mute when I cant talk about my interests...which is art and autism awareness.
I hope things getter better after that dude leaves...maybe his issue with the kinks is personal...maybe his wife left him while he was listening to a kink song...you never know what experiences people have that make them act the way they do.
It kinda does sound like a personal thing though.

After he's gone, I'll still be working on my small talk, but I'll be able to feel comfortable talking about my said special interest again. And my mum wonders why I hated high school. I was warned not to talk about my special interests when I was starting Grade 9, saying that once those kids found out what I liked, they will start bugging me about it and that made me clam right up around my peers and I was mute around them until I was just finishing Grade 11.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 8:57 am

my obsession works itself out by trowing idea's at me :P that comes with really high energy peaks and if i can't write them down i'll get depressed :P

That's why i prefer not getting brainstorms but gather small idea's and make something out of it, though the genius things that come trough in such a mania are always the best idea's.

To the person talking about the kindle, i should really get one myself, reading is a great way to calm my mind.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 9:13 am

Yes, I do. It's best not to have obsessions with communal subjects when you live in England because it'd just get cut by the bastard that is running this stupid country at the moment. For example, my obsession is buses and bus-drivers, and I know for sure that one of these days that very service is going to be cut by the government or changed or something, or some of the drivers will lose their jobs and I will never see my favourite ones again (one of them fancies me but I need to speak to him a little more in order to get to know him better, but I can't because he doesn't drive my bus much any more, and when he does he's always on at the times when I'm not). I love getting this bus. I enjoy the route, I am familiar with most of the drivers and the passengers, and it makes a change from walking everywhere on my own all the time. Sitting on the bus relaxes me, and I always listen to my ipod aswell. Obsessions are what keeps me going, and seeing the drivers make me feel happy inside.

Don't you dare take that away from me, Cameron!! !! !! !!

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 12:20 am

Probably the most depressing three weeks I ever had was six years ago when I was sent to this awful "social skills" camp. We didn't even do much of anything except sit around and watch movies, and there was this girl who was a month or two older than me who was really mean to me and the counselors didn't even do anything. Worst of all, there was nothing Car - related there...except for a book about Corvettes that was always lying on a table at the front of the room...I loved that book and would sit and read it whenever I got the chance. Cars were and have always been my protectors.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 12:29 am

I won't have a meltdown without my special interest, but I will be in a persistently bad mood. My special interest is cars and I always have to have one to drive. I once turned down a free cruise because it would have meant 3 days without my car. I have to have it, it's like my drug. It's a way I can get away from other people and see new things and places. Some people have safe rooms to go to, I have my car.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jul 2012, 12:39 am

My main obsession is microbiology and find like now when I'm unemployed and not got access to a micro lab I get really depressed and stressed. To me growing bacteria/moulds is like gardening and yes I do talk to the bugs.

P.S. Joe90 I agree with you completely about the bastard he's got to be a sociopath or evil.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 8:08 am

The day I was told not to bring my knitting to work, February 24, 2012, was also the last day that I knitted at all. :cry: I also wrote a suicide note that day. But I know that my son will not be 3 forever, so maybe some day, if I still need to, I can knit again.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 9:42 am

not depressed. agitated and unfocused. full of energy. not in a good way. in a frustrated way.

Steven_Tyler77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jul 2012, 3:16 pm

Yes, I do feel depressed. If I know it's not gonna last much, I might not get depressed, but I'll feel down, agitated or overly enthusiastic about getting access again to my special interest.

Aspie-quiz results:
Aspie score: 138 of 200 / NT score: 78 of 200 => Very likely an Aspie.