Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 4:30 pm

I realize that this subject has been discussed before in very similar topics, but I would like to take it a bit further.

Many Aspies such as myself are fixated on objects (objectophilia). I just wonder how many Aspies are fixated on their objects even to the point of taking their favorite objects to bed with them? Are any of you intimate with your objects? And are any of you insanely jealous if someone tries to mess around with your objects to the point were it really upsets you? Would love to get your feedbacks on this to see if I'm the only one that has this degree of fixation on objects.

I was going to post this on "Adult Autism" on facebook but thought better of it since people can be so cruel and unsympathic on there. I think Wrong Planet is the appropriate place for this.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 4:31 pm

Well... it would be kind of messy taking my car to bed with me! Plus, it may be small, but it's not THAT small.

yankeedoodads
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

Yes. I have had this for years. It is not crippling, but it is definitely there.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 4:41 pm

If I owned a metro 6r4 ( my favourite car ) I would contemplate taking it to bed with me, before dismissing it & sleeping with it, in the garage.

Seriously though, when I was younger I did take stuff to bed ( size appropriate ) often.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 4:47 pm

outofplace wrote:
Well... it would be kind of messy taking my car to bed with me! Plus, it may be small, but it's not THAT small.

What's preventing you from bedding down in your car?

celebrei
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2012, 4:59 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
outofplace wrote:

You could always bed it in public like this guy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFqhPaSL79I[/youtube]

Last edited by celebrei on 08 Aug 2012, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 5:01 pm

dirtdigger,

yes i do this, i have been doing this since i was about 8, at the time i used to collect spark plugs (and sleep with them in pajama pockets) then interests lead to door closers since i was 12, now, I still do this, i sleep with my closers (not sexual in nature) i lay them on center of my chest because there is a pressure point in sternum and it helps me get a deeper sleep with pressure there.

i have not yet got hurt while sleeping with a 13 lb closer

-Jess

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 5:15 pm

doordoctor wrote:
dirtdigger,

yes i do this, i have been doing this since i was about 8, at the time i used to collect spark plugs (and sleep with them in pajama pockets) then interests lead to door closers since i was 12, now, I still do this, i sleep with my closers (not sexual in nature) i lay them on center of my chest because there is a pressure point in sternum and it helps me get a deeper sleep with pressure there.

-Jess

Thank you for your comments, Jess. Do you find yourself getting jealous if someone tries to mess around with your door closers? Before I became intimate with my diecast backhoe loaders and especially the real ones, I never had a jealousy problem. But, for some reason I become insanely jealous and it's been this way since day one. It has gotten so bad now that I will probably be forced to get counselling.

I put the backhoe part of my toys in the same area that you put your door closer for the same reasons. But, it is the real backhoe loaders that are causing me the most problems when it comes to jealously and certain people operating them.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 5:59 pm

celebrei wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
outofplace wrote:

You could always bed it in public like this guy:

Do you have something to contribute to the topic since you are an Aspie?

Didgeeeee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Aug 2012, 7:44 pm

Second thoughts

Last edited by Didgeeeee on 09 Aug 2012, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 1:54 am

Dirtdigger wrote:
outofplace wrote:

It's a Geo Metro. It's not exactly easy to get comfortable enough inside it to get to sleep! :lol: Plus, I like my central A/C, big fan, darkened bedroom and TV. I can't sleep without my normal sleeping stuff around me.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 5:24 am

outofplace wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
outofplace wrote:

It's a Geo Metro. It's not exactly easy to get comfortable enough inside it to get to sleep! :lol: Plus, I like my central A/C, big fan, darkened bedroom and TV. I can't sleep without my normal sleeping stuff around me.

So far no one that has posted here has got the kind of issues I have, especially jealously. Years ago I was talking to who happened to be a car lover among other people. The car lover was a black man. Not thinking anything about it I leaned up against his white car. He didn't like it and told me in so many words that he didn't want white people leaning against his car. So I quickly moved away since I have similar issues with my own stuff. He was nice but he made it clear that only black people were allowed to touch his car. In my case it is black people and other women that sends me over the edge. Otherwise, I don't care what a black person or woman touch of mine. I've taken both places in my car.

Just recently a black man and a white man installed my stove for me and never even gave it a thought. But, since I knew they were coming regardless of their race I hid all of my backhoe loader models. But, hopefully in time these particularly issues will fade. The car incident back then did make me realized that I've had issues with jealously in the past, but not to the degree in my case.

There is an Aspie that is a member of OS International who loves Titan the Robot so much that she has resorted to threats toward the owners calling them names and harassing, posting message telling other people that Titan the Robot is her love, husband, etc. She posts telling people hands off. I can tell you she is very serious about it. You can tell just how out of it she is in her You Tube videos because she can't have Titan the Robot. But, I have never gotten that extreme because I don't want to get into trouble like her.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 6:22 am

Dirtdigger wrote:
outofplace wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
outofplace wrote:

So far no one that has posted here has got the kind of issues I have, especially jealously. Years ago I was talking to who happened to be a car lover among other people. The car lover was a black man. Not thinking anything about it I leaned up against his white car. He didn't like it and told me in so many words that he didn't want white people leaning against his car. So I quickly moved away since I have similar issues with my own stuff. He was nice but he made it clear that only black people were allowed to touch his car. In my case it is black people and other women that sends me over the edge. Otherwise, I don't care what a black person or woman touch of mine. I've taken both places in my car.

Just recently a black man and a white man installed my stove for me and never even gave it a thought. But, since I knew they were coming regardless of their race I hid all of my backhoe loader models. But, hopefully in time these particularly issues will fade. The car incident back then did make me realized that I've had issues with jealously in the past, but not to the degree in my case.

There is an Aspie that is a member of OS International who loves Titan the Robot so much that she has resorted to threats toward the owners calling them names and harassing, posting message telling other people that Titan the Robot is her love, husband, etc. She posts telling people hands off. I can tell you she is very serious about it. You can tell just how out of it she is in her You Tube videos because she can't have Titan the Robot. But, I have never gotten that extreme because I don't want to get into trouble like her.

As far as leaning against one of my cars (I own 5), it's something I don't like and no one is allowed to do it. This is not an aspie thing though. It's about preventing damage. One of my cars has about 4-6 months worth of body work in it (which I did by myself) and a paint job that cost over $1,000 in materials alone (which I sprayed). Heck, I have 15 hours in each fender due to some mild custom work I did to fit wider front tires. Lean against that car and yes... you will get an earful if you don't IMMEDIATELY get off of it. Someone once put their fat a** on the front end of that car during construction and cracked the fiberglass front headlight panel. It took me 6 months to find a serviceable replacement. So for me, it's not a racial thing or an aspie thing (I don't care what kind of person leans on it, I just don't want it leaned on) but rather a matter of respect for me and my property. Even the Geo can get me to give someone a nasty look because it is made of very thin metal and is easily damaged. However, it is covered in small dings and so it doesn't bother me as much. I actually have resisted my usual obsession with perfect paint and body work with the Geo because of how it is used. I figure it is going to get beat up since it is used as a pizza delivery vehicle and a parts chaser so I just try to keep it presentable. Then again, my feelings about my stuff are not that severe. I do love that which I have and I do have a difficult time parting with stuff, but I rarely react too negatively towards others in regards to the things I own, so long as they are not being disrespectful.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 6:50 am

outofplace wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
outofplace wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
outofplace wrote:

As far as leaning against one of my cars (I own 5), it's something I don't like and no one is allowed to do it. This is not an aspie thing though. It's about preventing damage. One of my cars has about 4-6 months worth of body work in it (which I did by myself) and a paint job that cost over $1,000 in materials alone (which I sprayed). Heck, I have 15 hours in each fender due to some mild custom work I did to fit wider front tires. Lean against that car and yes... you will get an earful if you don't IMMEDIATELY get off of it. Someone once put their fat a** on the front end of that car during construction and cracked the fiberglass front headlight panel. It took me 6 months to find a serviceable replacement. So for me, it's not a racial thing or an aspie thing (I don't care what kind of person leans on it, I just don't want it leaned on) but rather a matter of respect for me and my property. Even the Geo can get me to give someone a nasty look because it is made of very thin metal and is easily damaged. However, it is covered in small dings and so it doesn't bother me as much. I actually have resisted my usual obsession with perfect paint and body work with the Geo because of how it is used. I figure it is going to get beat up since it is used as a pizza delivery vehicle and a parts chaser so I just try to keep it presentable. Then again, my feelings about my stuff are not that severe. I do love that which I have and I do have a difficult time parting with stuff, but I rarely react too negatively towards others in regards to the things I own, so long as they are not being disrespectful.

Well I can understand in your case why you don't want anyone to lean up against your cars, since you have a lot of time and money wrapped up in them. I have gotten good and pissed off at people who messed up things that I have worked so hard on too and I didn't have any intimate attachment or fixations either. And you don't care who it is, your cars are off limits. But with the black guy with the white car, it was a clucker that hasn't been taken care of. Like me with my backhoe loaders, especially my real one I have a thing about blacks adn women touching them let alone seeing them causing me to be jealous. So I think you missed my point since you want to protect your investments which in your case wouldn't be a jealous thing either.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:26 am

Dirtdigger wrote:
doordoctor wrote:
dirtdigger,

-Jess

Thank you for your comments, Jess. Do you find yourself getting jealous if someone tries to mess around with your door closers? Before I became intimate with my diecast backhoe loaders and especially the real ones, I never had a jealousy problem. But, for some reason I become insanely jealous and it's been this way since day one. It has gotten so bad now that I will probably be forced to get counselling.

I put the backhoe part of my toys in the same area that you put your door closer for the same reasons. But, it is the real backhoe loaders that are causing me the most problems when it comes to jealously and certain people operating them.

actually, nobody ever touches or sees my closers, since I don't let anyone in the house there's a very little chance of people asking what they are or why I have them and what do I do with so many (7). if and when I HAVE to have someone here (cable installer or anyone that HAS to come inside), I hide them to reduce chances of the guest asking and them thinking I have a problem.

as for jealousy, I am sure there are other closers out there that appeal to me and I want, but I can wait for perfect time to get another closer, just like back in March when I got my last Norton, one that was made in 1882.

if anything, during the time that I bid on the Norton and won and waiting for my closer to arrive, I had like 4 or 5 emails from my friends who work in door hardware field asking me about my newest addition to my closer family.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2012, 9:19 am

I'm obsessed with some of my favorite clothes, and I used to be fixated on this small stuffed cat that I took to bed with me.

I've always gotten worked up whenever someone touched ANYTHING of mine. My mom is having guests stay at our house to save them money for a hotel. Currently it's a little girl and her father. I was extremely concerned in the weeks before they were coming over because i was having images of the little girl wandering into my room and touching stuff. Not breaking it, but just taking it and touching it. I was thinking about how upset I'd be if she touched something, let alone broke it.

So, yes, I'm defensive about my possessions and obsess over certain items.