Worried about learning second language at uni.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Moopants
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2012, 11:25 am

Should I take French as a mature student at uni? obviously only I can make the final decision but I am worried about how sensory overload could hinder me.

At school, (many many years ago!)I was best in class at French and was almost fluent. I could read and write it no problems, grammar and syntax were no problem, speaking was ok if I could overcome how silly I felt talking without purpose. However, I was terrible at listening exercises, especially when they were on location, the background noises made it near impossible for me to work out what was being said.

I would love to return to learning French and I have the opportunity to do so at university this year. My problem is the listening. I worry that I would fail miserably due to the listening exercises and exams. I understand universities have to make adjustments for 'disabled' students but I fear either re-recording listening exams without background noise or missing out recorded listening would be more than they are willing to contemplate due to cost and effort involved.

I was wondering what others thought? Is there anyone who has problems with listening who has successfully learned a second language and not been disadvantaged by this learning method? Have you had adjustments made to compensate for listening problems? What were they?

Do you have any advice on this matter?

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 11:40 am

If it comes that naturally to you, I think you should give it a try. Try listening to french music, political speeches, books, etc. extensively on your own time to see if that helps. If exam time comes and you still think it will be a grade demolishing problem, talk to your professor about having that part of your exam at a later date with fewer people around. Rescheduling a partial exam for a diagnosed autism spectrum disorder is well within the realm of normal exam practices.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2012, 11:52 am

Telephone them, explain the situation and ask them what they can do to help? They will be understanding at least most of the uni's I've dealt with (one guy was a prick but went to his superior and she agreed, then gave me more than I asked for).

Your Aspie score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 68 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie