Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Oct 2012, 12:50 pm

Yes, I have decided to call it quits...on stress...if that is possible. Have any of you had something in your life that you needed to get rid of? For me...it is stress caused by my career. I am the only teacher in the district here that has no planning/prep period. But yet my schedule requires me to be on top of 3 separate English classes, lunch detention, and 12 individual lesson plans for a remedial reading program daily. And the district tried to place another program on me...but there was no more of me to go around. It took them two months to realize this. As a result of the stress I am under, I have now developed high blood pressure. I have decided when I walk out the school doors, the stress of the job remains there---not following me. If part of my job doesn't get done---then so be it. I have decided to try (and try is a tough word) to leave my stress behind me. But how?

I don't know for sure. But perhaps by getting deeper involved in my interests brought about by my autism. I can escape into some of those interests. And that is what I am going to do. I am not going to worry about my job so much anymore. I am going to take more time with my interests and try to enjoy life. This is why this is not posted in the Haven, because I am finding a way to find happiness amid my stressful job.

I go home now and relax with my family watching the old Dark Shadows serial on Netflix---for example. My family and I have found a nice little family owned restaurant that we can relax at when we eat out.

Anyway, gotta get to my 4th grade reading students. Talk to you again soon. Thanks for listening.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 1:52 pm

I understand that all too well unfortunately. I had to consciously learn to leave work at work as it completely consumed my thoughts... at age 16 as a part time worker! If I didn't get work done I literally could not sleep of think about anything else. The stress caused me to have a breakdown at age 20 just because I was so insanely loyal and dedicated. Fast forward and I can laugh at how delusional I was making a billionaire rich for minimum wage. Now I'm a dedicated professional but I leave work at work and when I punch out that's it and as a result my blood pressure is finally almost back to 'normal' levels. Wasn't as easy as it sounds though!

Destidude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2012, 2:17 pm

Every day I fantasize about quitting my job, selling the house, and moving into a shelter. The amount of pressure I endure regularly at my work would destroy a barometer. The worst thing about it is that I've got a big bullseye painted on my chest and no one to share it with. Even those who are nearsighted may rest assured that a fellow cohort's index finger will be pointed right in my direction. Cortisol-influx weekdays are reducing my lifespan but, alas, I've got a family to support so I've got to keep running the rat-race. If I were fired, my world would fall apart but at least I'd have the consolation of a slower pace.

Sorry to throw in my own rant on your thread. I guess I'm just saying I relate to your stress.

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2012, 2:19 pm

glider18 wrote:
Yes, I have decided to call it quits...on stress...if that is possible. Have any of you had something in your life that you needed to get rid of? For me...it is stress caused by my career. I am the only teacher in the district here that has no planning/prep period. But yet my schedule requires me to be on top of 3 separate English classes, lunch detention, and 12 individual lesson plans for a remedial reading program daily. And the district tried to place another program on me...but there was no more of me to go around. It took them two months to realize this. As a result of the stress I am under, I have now developed high blood pressure. I have decided when I walk out the school doors, the stress of the job remains there---not following me. If part of my job doesn't get done---then so be it. I have decided to try (and try is a tough word) to leave my stress behind me. But how?

I don't know for sure. But perhaps by getting deeper involved in my interests brought about by my autism. I can escape into some of those interests. And that is what I am going to do. I am not going to worry about my job so much anymore. I am going to take more time with my interests and try to enjoy life. This is why this is not posted in the Haven, because I am finding a way to find happiness amid my stressful job.

I go home now and relax with my family watching the old Dark Shadows serial on Netflix---for example. My family and I have found a nice little family owned restaurant that we can relax at when we eat out.

Anyway, gotta get to my 4th grade reading students. Talk to you again soon. Thanks for listening.

Good for you.

I have gained the ability to "disconnect" myself from any outcomes, especially work outcomes, and not let it eat me alive.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 2:28 pm

One method is to get there slightly early (say like 10 minutes early) and then leave on time.

I don't know if cleaniness is next to godliness, but timeliness sure is! Or, at least it's perceived that way. I mean, gettting there slightly early is sometimes appreciated out of all proportion to what it's worth, and is actually kind of a way to game the system and make yourself less vulnerable to criticism.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Oct 2012, 6:25 pm

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I appreciate those of you who share in this job stress. I have noticed that so many people anymore find their jobs more stressful than they once were. Where I work it is because when someone retires, they don't always hire someone else to fill that position---instead, they push those duties on the rest of us. I get to work 30 minutes early in order to get ready for the day. That means I get up at 5 AM. I get home at 3:30 PM. And I do have weekends mostly free except for Sunday morning because I am the church organist---but I enjoy that.

TalusJumper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2012, 6:48 pm

Some years back, I took a substantial cut in pay and position with a new company (and moved location). I have little (if any) chance for advancement but my stress is greatly reduced now- best move I've ever made!

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 6:49 pm

glider18 wrote:
I have noticed that so many people anymore find their jobs more stressful than they once were. Where I work it is because when someone retires, they don't always hire someone else to fill that position---instead, they push those duties on the rest of us..

That happens where I work too. It is very stressful. I often have nightmares about being at work and not being able to finish my work by the end of the day and finding more and more piles of it to do that I didn't notice before. I will follow your stress-reduction ideas to try to reduce those nightmares and worries and leave work at work.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 8:13 pm

I feel your stress. I think what makes it worse is stupid cell phones and texting. I feel like I never leave my job and even if I worked every waking hour of my day, I would not be able to get everything done. My current fantasy is to win the lottery. If I only won 1-2 million, I'd buy a house outright and then go back to school for 2 years to get my Masters in Special Education. Then I'd work with HFA/AS kids--young ones, like maybe 3-5 year olds, but only a couple at a time so that I could manage my stress level. If I won more, I'd buy a house and open my own fabric store with nothing but bright, beautiful fabrics in it. If I won a whole bunch, I'd start some kind of non-profit. But I'd hire other people to run it.

There are some jobs that I have found to be easier to "leave at the door." If my failure to get something done will have a negative consequence for me, I am usually OK with that. But if it will have a negative consequence for someone else, I have a hard time letting it be.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 8:46 pm

TalusJumper wrote:
Some years back, I took a substantial cut in pay and position with a new company (and moved location). I have little (if any) chance for advancement but my stress is greatly reduced now- best move I've ever made!

This is exactly what I want to do and am planning to do TalusJumper.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 10:01 pm

It sounds like you have the right idea. The more that you can get involved in your interests/hobbies, and just plain relax, the less I think you'll feel the stress. And just remember, as long as you do your best that's all you can do!