Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 12:20 pm

evidently, according to a compilation of TED talks i just heard on public radio, play helps us form empathy and learn to deal with change. so maybe instead of putting young autists through grueling ABA, play should be encouraged. even video games, if they are played with others, helps. there is a particular online video game called superbetter that even helps with depression. it's designed to get folks over any rough patch.

arkatron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2016, 12:48 pm

That sounds like an excellent idea. It's unfortunate that play has been devalued in our culture. Play is also very beneficial for adults. There is such an emphasis on school and work, but what about play....

Importance of Play: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2 ... or-adults/

Quote:
“We don’t lose the need for novelty and pleasure as we grow up,” according to Scott G. Eberle, Ph.D, vice president for play studies at The Strong and editor of the American Journal of Play.
Brown has spent decades studying the power of play in everyone from prisoners to businesspeople to artists to Nobel Prize winners. He’s reviewed over 6,000 “play histories,” case studies that explore the role of play in each person’s childhood and adulthood. For instance, he found that lack of play was just as important as other factors in predicting criminal behavior among murderers in Texas prisons.
Brown called play a “state of being,” “purposeless, fun and pleasurable.” For the most part, the focus is on the actual experience, not on accomplishing a goal, he said.

I was wondering if there is research on autism and play...this was one of the first search results: https://www.autismspeaks.org/science/sc ... ids-autism

Quote:
By the end of the 12-week program, the children with autism showed overall improvement in their abilities to both engage in mutual pretend play and interact with kids they didn’t know. The typically developing children also benefitted. They got better at forming friendships with children who communicate or play differently.

“These results indicate the Integrated Play Group model to be a promising treatment to address social and symbolic play delays in young children with autism,” comments Lucia Murillo, Autism Speaks assistant director of education research. “Of particular importance is that this model promotes a more inclusive mode of learning that could be beneficial if incorporated into a regular classroom setting.”

“Often, the benefits to typically developing children are overlooked, Dr. Murillo adds. “However, this model appears to encourage a culture of acceptance of differences and flexibility within social interactions.”

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 12:59 pm

cathylynn wrote:
evidently, according to a compilation of TED talks i just heard on public radio, play helps us form empathy and learn to deal with change. so maybe instead of putting young autists through grueling ABA, play should be encouraged. even video games, if they are played with others, helps. there is a particular online video game called superbetter that even helps with depression. it's designed to get folks over any rough patch.

I completely agree. Even play as adults is extremely important. In fact all animals know how important it is too. Why should young Autists be the exception? Makes no sense.

Wreck It Ralph

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 1:16 pm

cathylynn wrote:

I agree that play is much more important than therapy. Too many kids on the spectrum have fun and play taken away from them, starting at a very young age.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2016, 1:45 pm

I agree that play is important for childhood development, and that includes those on the autism spectum as well.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 6:12 pm

cathylynn wrote:

"Play is the highest expression of human development in childhood, for it alone is the free expression of what is in a child's soul.” Froebel

Play is commonly accepted as the medium through which children (all children) come to understand their world, making child/self directed learning key for positive play experiences, adults should be facilitators or guides for this process. Understanding the childs developmental stage and their stage of play (Solitary Play Parallel Play Associative Play Cooperative Play, Games with Rules) is essential knowledge when planning for play experiences.

There are generally two forms of early educational facilities, one provides for the developmental needs of children (child centered), the other is aimed at the needs of the parents (workforce related demand), the ethos in both are quite different and the outcome for the child will vary. When you consider that the early years are a key stage in development, as emphasised by early intervention programmes, the quality of play experiences for children becomes quite significant as it lays the foundation for all future learning. Its critical that the rapid developmental period in the early years is tailored to the individual interests and needs of the child, because generally when children enter the formal educational environment it becomes quite directed by the end goal or summative assessment. There isn't time for play or self directed/active learning.

In Reggio Emilia in Italy they use a self directed educational approach, through which children use symbolic languages such as different forms of art (multi sensory) to explore their own interests, over long term projects in collaboration with adults and other children. The educators and the environment facilitate this process.

The Froebel philosophy encourages learning through play at the childs pace, parents as primary educators, free movement and teacher facilitation of learning through a prepared environment.

The Montessori philosophy is more structured, but is still self directed within the prepared environment, the 'work' (a childs play) is suited to individual sensitive periods, builds on prior learning, uses mixed age groups, and promotes a sense of inner wellbeing.

The Steiner method encourages catering to the sensory needs of children, imaginative play, learning life skills and uses art as a medium for learning. His approach was based on Piagets work who was another advocate of learning through play.

Vygotsky was another theorist who seen the benefits of active learning, through social interaction and imaginative play (ZPD and scaffolding)

Dewey advocated the intellectual and social benefits of play, which he believed was a subconscious activity.

Take the Weikhart High/Scope approach as another example, children plan-do-and review their activities, self directed active learning through play.

So yes in today's society, play is an underrated activity, but why is that so, and who makes that decision?

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 6:42 pm

Play was very beneficial for me and my sister. We learned how to work together as a team and we developed a close relationship with each other and our NT brother. We used to play house and make pretend grocery lists with grocery ads that came in the mail. We made forts with our bunk beds and blankets. We had pretend wrestling matches too.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 7:08 pm

ladyelaine, your post reminds me of my early childhood. We also spent a lot of time outside without our parents watching our every move. We dug up earthworms and played in the woods and in the playground that had wooden things to climb instead of plastic. I remember running after my brother through fields when we lived in a farm village in Germany, it was awesome. There were no video games and we watched very little tv. Back then, it was safe to be outside and we always knew when to come in. I even remember playing in the basement of one of our apartments in the coal room. The building was heated by coal. We would get all dirty. It was awesome. We made some amazing memories and really learned skills that required our imagination. Kids these days are not as fortunate. Everything is scheduled for them and sadly has to be over supervised. It's a shame that they can't be safe just running around being kids anymore. And my friend who lives in Queens, New York told me that his first grade son only got one hour of recess a week at the school he goes to and it's in a cage, basically the yard is a paved area with a tall fence around it like a prison yard. So sad.

Wreck It Ralph

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 7:39 pm

My siblings and I played outside a lot when we were kids. We played cops and robbers, kickball, and chase.

I noticed how kindergarten has changed over the years. These days, there is a heavy focus on academics. Kids go outside for recess 20 minutes a day if they are lucky. Social and emotional wellbeing is pretty much ignored. It's all about standardized tests. I have seen kids that obsess over being perfect on all their school work. They freak out if they don't get a concept right away.