How do you control your special interests!?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2012, 1:55 am

Ok to start all my interests are based around one character and I usually deal with them by becoming that character- I act all the time. This affectsy interests my job plan an even that I sometimes wear make-up. Over the years I rarely talk to my mum about my interests but I wish I didn't speak to anyone as much as I did. I talk to my new friends too much a bout my interest and even though I am thinking about telling them I don't know how to drop it taking up all my conversation especially since the interest I have now, that I am praying wont last long, is about a character I played in a school play a week ago. It's not that appropriate. I'm hoping I'll lose this one soon but even if it moves on to something more helpful I want to know how to stop it affecting every little thing I do and think! How do you stop it being your whole life and how do you concentrate on other things you want to think about?

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

You should probably go ahead and come out with this interest with your mom. Is there any reason why you can't?

Do you ever get your interest out of your system at all? Or do you literally spend every waking hour thinking of this character?

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

How do I control them?

I think they control me.

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2012, 1:23 pm

emimeni wrote:
You should probably go ahead and come out with this interest with your mom. Is there any reason why you can't?

Do you ever get your interest out of your system at all? Or do you literally spend every waking hour thinking of this character?

My mum does what every parent is taught to do and disencourages my interests but I feel this means she disencourages all my interests incase they become stronger. I just slowly got used to not talking about my interests to my mum very much. She never compliments anything I do that is to do with the character I have at the time such as I've came on loads in my drawing skills but if its not a landscape or an animal or something that is not any way related to my interest she doesn't say well done.
I suppose I do get a break when I'm on my own but if I'm with a person I know will listen just to be polite I can't shut up at all. I can't do what I do with my mum to other people. I use to get blissful breaks between my interests but I feel like they are getting stronger and actually causing me more anxiety than they used to. I just want a way to make myself shut up or even better actually slow my need to obsess over things. I've head anxiety makes it worse and I'm beginning to think that might be true

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:33 pm

I've gotten rather good at controlling my special interest because I get very hurt when people make fun of them. I simply pretend I care about nothinig, really. However, I usually just think of them to myself. After all, no one can know exactly what's going through my mind unless they're telepathic. Or I discuss them with my pets.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

I don't. I'm listening to Vocaloid music in class, right now. :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

I don't control my special interests, because I feel dead if I do so. There was a time that I did control them between Grades 9 and 12. I made a point of saying as little as possible about them or anything, so my bullies wouldn't pick on me.