I finally saw Mozart and the Whale, my thoughts.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 6:16 am

I thought it was good, but could have been better. IMO the movie could have explained AS more, they just basically said that "AS is a kind of autisim that makes you suck socially". I also did not like izzys annoying laugh and the fact they made her smoke, made her totally unattractive, IMO. I also did not like the "don't call, but why did'nt you call" game they played near the end, too much like the games NT's play. I thought people with AS would not jerk each other around like that. They tryed to make them like NT's.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 6:44 am

I think even aspies can play games sometimes. But that particular game is Too Much.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 9:23 am

You can view my opinion in the television forum.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 11:18 am

GEE, that is a DUMB description! Autism in wikipedia says:

Quote:
Typical 5-year-olds can usually develop insights into other people's knowledge, feelings, and intentions based on social cues (e.g., gestures and facial expressions). An autistic individual may lack these interpretation skills, leaving them unable to predict or understand other people's actions or intentions.

So it seems the only thing unusual about AS with regard to social skills is that they can communicate well, are obviously lucid, and that the part of the brain that is often affected with autism ,Which is involved with social skills, is mapped elsewhere with AS whereas it may basically be left unused by a normal autistic. NONE of that is true in many other autistics.

Steve

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 8:52 pm

Actually there's a lot of evidence suggesting there's nothing specifically social about autism in general.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 5:47 am

I have never seen Mozart and the Whale, but I know that the couple in the movie does not speak for all AS/AS couples.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ed
Veteran
Veteran

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2006, 12:40 pm

I have heard about that movie, but I would rather wait and watch the up-coming "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time."

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 7:12 am

Yeah, I'm not sure if I will like the movie Mozart & The Whale or not. It is not one of those mushy movies like "When Harry Met Sally" is it?

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2006, 11:24 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have never seen Mozart and the Whale, but I know that the couple in the movie does not speak for all AS/AS couples.

Tim

Tim, you are right and we don't pretend to do that either which is more than I can say for most of the public people in our community :)

Jerry Newport aka The Whale