When You're Worse than What You Think.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 3:36 pm

Wrong Planeteers,

As of yesterday, 10:30am, I have been diagnosed with ADHD-PI in addition to Aspergers.

Blech.

Previously, ADHD had never really been on my radar. The shrink who gave me my IQ test mentioned I didn't seem to pay attention very well, and, based on my interactions with my new psychiatrist, she kept bringing up that people with Aspergers often share features with ADHD, but I didn't think much about it until our session yesterday when she recommended a stimulant. I asked her flat-out if I had ADHD to which she replied in the affirmative.

I have always been spacey and forgetful, but it's been this way forever, so it's my "normal." I had never figured those features were clinically significant; I just thought I sucked at life. Furthermore, my AS DX was partially based on an interview with my mother and my supervisors at work, From their reports, my eye gaze, body language, and social reciprocity aren't nearly as "normal" as I thought they were.

I guess I'm just weirded out at at having been crazy all these years while not having been aware of it.

Has anyone else ever had the professionals/et al. inform you that you were worse than what you thought? If so, how do you know if you're really crazy, or if they are just full of it?

Thanks.

P.S. Tripping on Concerta is fun.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 5:02 pm

yes.

I thought I was mild if anything and maybe AS.

What I got post evaluation was an Autism diagnosis. A suggestion to see a psychiatrist soon and told to ask about risperdal, a CBT therapist, find a social skills class and basically told my daughter is messed up b/c of me.

I not only suck at life but also parenting

not nearly as fun as my happy pills

slave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 7:13 pm

Concerta???

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 7:23 pm

I thought I had really mild AS and that everyone has senses like mine...

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 11:55 pm

Some months ago I was given a written summary of session with psychiatrist. I knew of course that I'd been observed but it was still very weird to read about how I looked and what I wore and How I sat. Allegedly I rocked at times (while I thought I was sitting still and stiff as a stick). According to her I'd been stimming as well, while I thought I made sure I didn't.
I thought I spoke normally, and at one time I was even a bit upset because of anxiety, yet she described me as speaking monotonously and claimed I seemed to be neutral to my own story (which is not how I feel).
I thought my diagnosis was Asperger's, but it actually read "Asperger's or other autism spectrum disorder".

That was a bit unnerving to read. I felt a strong need to explain everything I had said and done. Oh well...

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 2:12 am

This is my problem. I'm diagnosed NVLD and AS. I initially denied my diagnosis. It was only after meeting someone with NVLD, and having a bunch of friends and other various people tell me I was "different," that and actually meeting someone with NVLD, too.

This is my biggest problem with being diagnosed. I probably would have been happier undiagnosed, really. It's this feeling of having lived my whole life leaving a giant cloud of "wow, you're an idiot" behind you, without realizing it. And the problem is, when I have social anxiety, I'm "freaky" and then when I don't I'm "weird" so I can't win.

I really have a feeling the rest of the world just sees me as like, Chris Chan or something.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 2:18 pm

every time I hear about myself from other people I notice im worse than I think. it makes me really depressed so I try not to think about it.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 5:16 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Wrong Planeteers,

As of yesterday, 10:30am, I have been diagnosed with ADHD-PI in addition to Aspergers.

Blech.

Previously, ADHD had never really been on my radar. The shrink who gave me my IQ test mentioned I didn't seem to pay attention very well, and, based on my interactions with my new psychiatrist, she kept bringing up that people with Aspergers often share features with ADHD, but I didn't think much about it until our session yesterday when she recommended a stimulant. I asked her flat-out if I had ADHD to which she replied in the affirmative.

I have always been spacey and forgetful, but it's been this way forever, so it's my "normal." I had never figured those features were clinically significant; I just thought I sucked at life. Furthermore, my AS DX was partially based on an interview with my mother and my supervisors at work, From their reports, my eye gaze, body language, and social reciprocity aren't nearly as "normal" as I thought they were.

I guess I'm just weirded out at at having been crazy all these years while not having been aware of it.

Has anyone else ever had the professionals/et al. inform you that you were worse than what you thought? If so, how do you know if you're really crazy, or if they are just full of it?

Thanks.

P.S. Tripping on Concerta is fun.

Absolutely!
I hardly even knew what aspergers was before a professional mentioned to me that I might have it and before getting tested and diagnosed as a consequence of that. It had never even crossed my mind.

My diagnosis was a real shock and a disapepointment to me. I have been told that my asperges was not exactly mild which was an even greater shock. In hindsight it's a good thing to know for sure that you have aspergers but accepting it takes time, a lot of time.