Can I overcome my speech problems ? (adult female)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2012, 6:23 pm

Hi

I have noticed certain patterns in my speech, that stress me out a little, such as:

my voice is often too quiet for people to make out
vowel sounds particularly e sounds are more difficult
I speak in a range of accents, people point this out and I feel awkward, drawing more attention to my speech, makes it more difficult to communicate due to anxiety
I find difficult to speak when put on the spot by a tutor for example
I find the interviews stressful, knowing that my tone of voice is something that the interviewer will be assessing
my speech is not usually problematic when talking about something I am passionate about (the accents might still be there but my tone/ pitch is better)

Is there any way I may improve my speech?

jourdan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2012, 6:52 pm

You may want to find a speech therapist. He(or she) could probably teach you some exercises to make your speech stronger and more consistent.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

voice volume is also a problem for me. I too speak rather low voice.

You can record yourself reading something and then playing it back... re-record adjusting your voice volume until you get it to the range other's speak in and try to use that range in every day life.

I use that 'volume setting' when im at work but its never an automatic thing from that point onwards.

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2012, 7:10 pm

Dantac wrote:
voice volume is also a problem for me. I too speak rather low voice.

You can record yourself reading something and then playing it back... re-record adjusting your voice volume until you get it to the range other's speak in and try to use that range in every day life.

I use that 'volume setting' when im at work but its never an automatic thing from that point onwards.

I had never thought about this, this looks like a good idea, I will try it!

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

02 Dec 2012, 7:15 pm

jourdan wrote:
You may want to find a speech therapist. He(or she) could probably teach you some exercises to make your speech stronger and more consistent.

I have the exact same problem as the OP, and it alone got me dinged in several job interviews, I later found out.

Any guidelines or tips for choosing a speech therapist? There are many kinds out there.

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2012, 7:22 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
jourdan wrote:

I have the exact same problem as the OP, and it alone got me dinged in several job interviews, I later found out.

Any guidelines or tips for choosing a speech therapist? There are many kinds out there.

I am not sure what you mean by different kinds of speech therapist. I live in the UK, as far as I know I can get an NHS one or go private? I have no idea how much it would cost though, any one know about this?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

02 Dec 2012, 7:37 pm

Mitsuki wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
jourdan wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by different kinds of speech therapist. I live in the UK, as far as I know I can get an NHS one or go private? I have no idea how much it would cost though, any one know about this?

Well, in the U.S. I think (?) they all would be private. I am not sure it makes much difference, though. By "types," I meant specialties.

Do you not have something like our insurance in the UK that can pay for private treatment?

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2012, 7:47 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Mitsuki wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
jourdan wrote:

Well, in the U.S. I think (?) they all would be private. I am not sure it makes much difference, though. By "types," I meant specialties.

Do you not have something like our insurance in the UK that can pay for private treatment?

Healthcare is free on the NHS, you pay for private but I would guess you are seen much faster and can choose who you see.