Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

what does the syndrome mean in aspergers? why not aspergers "disorder". i am guessing a syndrome could be an umbrella term for various collections of disorders grouped into a "syndrome"? i have aspergers and i think to me it means i have a variety of disorders that could be grouped under "Aspergers Syndrome".

like i have

ADHD
OCD
Anixety Disorder
and to many to list

but what do you think syndrome means?

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2013, 8:23 pm

seaweasel wrote:
what does the syndrome mean in aspergers? why not aspergers "disorder". i am guessing a syndrome could be an umbrella term for various collections of disorders grouped into a "syndrome"? i have aspergers and i think to me it means i have a variety of disorders that could be grouped under "Aspergers Syndrome".

like i have

ADHD
OCD
Anixety Disorder
and to many to list

but what do you think syndrome means?

Syndrome
Noun

- A group of symptoms that consistently occur together or a condition characterized by a set of associated symptoms.

- A characteristic combination of opinions, emotions, or behavior: "the “Not In My Back Yard” syndrome".

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2013, 9:39 pm

I think in this case they call it syndrome becasue there is no blood test or an xray to confirm it. If there were a blood test for it they could call it something else. The condition has to be confirmed by associating a group of characteristics all together in the one person......

the weird thing about it seems that all the charateristics combine in different ways and different intensities in an infinitely variable way.

People like me have a percentage of this and a percentage of that makes up what I'm calling a troubling but subclinical condition "something like autism"

can you tell I wish for more science in here somewhere>>???! !! !

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 9:44 pm

Syndrome, condition, disorder and probably some other terms, all seem to have basically the same meaning.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 8:53 am

Syndrome:

Quote:
Syndrome comes from a Greek word that combines the root “to run” (dramein) with the prefix “together” (sun-). When many or all of the symptoms for a disease “run together,” that's a syndrome. You can also use syndrome in a figurative way to describe a type or pattern of behavior.

-From a vocabulary-