I think mostly in words. 24%  24%  [ 20 ]
I think mostly in pictures/movies. 61%  61%  [ 51 ]
I use mostly use another method. 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 83

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

I am fascinated by the fact that many on the spectrum seem to think in pictures. I think almost exclusivity in words, so the idea of thinking in only or mainly in pictures/movie seems very strange to me.

On a side note, for those of you who think in pictures, when you read a book, what goes on in your mind.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm

This is an interesting poll, i never really though about this before =)

I definitely think in fluid pictures/movies
My NT gf thinks in words

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 12:42 pm

Chloe33 wrote:

My NT gf thinks in words

So what happens when your read a book.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 12:42 pm

Both. Pictures and words for what I want to write and say.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 12:44 pm

I actually don't understand the concept of thinking in pictures. If there was an online test for it I'd take it because I'm curious.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 12:44 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Both. Pictures and words for what I want to write and say.

Are the pictures vague and not very clear, or are they clear and full of color? Do either the pictures or words have more prominence?

Nesf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2013, 12:45 pm

I think both in pictures and in words and constantly "translate" from one to the other. If I'm reading a book for concrete things I create a picture of it based on my experiences, abstract concepts are harder because they're more difficult to visualise. I also have visual images of actual words to which I attach meaning and sound. I can also see moving images in my mind like a film.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 12:46 pm

DVCal wrote:
Chloe33 wrote:

My NT gf thinks in words

When i read a book i can picture it in my head. The movie version usually ruins it lol j/k.. well sometimes it does i guess

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 12:47 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I actually don't understand the concept of thinking in pictures. If there was an online test for it I'd take it because I'm curious.

When you are thinking, is it words in some language, or is it images.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:20 pm

If I'm thinking that I need to go to the store to buy beer, for instance, I don't visualize the cans of beer. I do see me having to put on my shoes and jacket.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:27 pm

DVCal wrote:
Chloe33 wrote:

My NT gf thinks in words

see for me that doesnt work, i think in both but they seem to be seperate parts of my brain for me. when i read I have to translate the words on the page into auditory words in my head and have trouble translatng that into an image in my head,

however when i am plaining my day or thinking what i need to do i see images and video

oddly enough I have also found that i see less as in less detail ect when i am talking as well and if i am off in my own world thinking especialy if i use words to think. it is like my eyes see but my brain will only process a small amount of what my eyes are seeing

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

dimfuture
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

I think mostly in pictures and some abstract ideas (I cannot exactly describe what is it, but for sure it is not words). Because of this I have problems with translating my thoughts into words in real time, which makes communication with others even harder. Do someone have similar problem with communication?

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

When I read a book I prefer authors who have a very colorful and vividly descriptive writing style. I read the first few pages and if the narrative comes to life in my mind, I know I will like reading the book. My mind can create a three dimensional world with all the characters and detail described in the narrative.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

dimfuture wrote:
I think mostly in pictures and some abstract ideas (I cannot exactly describe what is it, but for sure it is not words). Because of this I have problems with translating my thoughts into words in real time, which makes communication with others even harder. Do someone have similar problem with communication?

Yes you're not alone. I can think in words but it's not my dominant thinking style. It's like a right handed person trying to write left handed. I have trouble translating thoughts and feeling into words. Oddly, I also have a hard time translating how I do math into symbols and words.

Razgriz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2013, 1:44 pm

Marybird wrote:
When I read a book I prefer authors who have a very colorful and vividly descriptive writing style. I read the first few pages and if the narrative comes to life in my mind, I know I will like reading the book. My mind can create a three dimensional world with all the characters and detail described in the narrative.

Same here, when I read a book an image comes to life in my mind according to the words I'm reading.

As for thinking in pictures, I do think in pictures, mostly. Occasionally I also think in abstract concepts, that I cant really explain. Sometimes when I'm angry or feeling some other strong, negative emotion, I start thinking in 3rd person, in both words and images. Such as me hearing in my mind for example: "and then he (me) went and did this" with an image in my mind of me doing that thing.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:47 pm

I think in pictures.