Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

patdbunny
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2012, 2:08 pm

Ha! Ha!
My husband's (NT) "ah ha" moment was when I told him I'm like a horse. I have a hard time making correlations/intuitive deductions that two scenarios are the "same". I have to discuss details ad nauseum to come to the conclusion that they're the "same" despite differing facts.

Let me explain. When you work with a horse, you have to teach it through repetition and experience that assorted fences are all okay - a white fence is ok, a blue fence is ok, a wood slat fence is ok, a 4 ft fence is ok, a 6 ft fence is ok, etc. Sometimes it's hard for a horse to realize a white picket 4 ft fence is the same as a 6 ft high black iron fence. After a lot of repetition and experience the horse eventually can lump together "most of these things that look similar are fences" and to no longer be alarmed by new types of fences. Even then, sometimes they'll get hung up on a "new" fence that seems different from all the other fences they've come across and still freak out.

Anyone?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

Neigh!

:lol:

I do get scared of things being moved or new things though kind of like a horse.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 6:00 pm

Same here. This is often a problem I have with applying instructions from one situation to another that I perceive to be different from the first where the instructions were given. I have often been told "It's the same, just do the same thing." But all I can see is what is different and where the exact same thing is wrong.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 6:34 pm

Yep, that sounds like me. My mom often says that "every day is a new day" with me. Which means that just because I am taught something one day, week or month does not mean that I'll remember to apply what I learned to that same or similar situations in the future.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2012, 6:48 pm

I'm definitely not hung like a horse.

patdbunny

23 Oct 2012, 6:56 pm

jdbob wrote:
I'm definitely not hung like a horse.

8O
did you really mean to say that out loud?
:lmao:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 7:19 pm

Yes. Yes I am.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 8:07 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Ha! Ha!
My husband's (NT) "ah ha" moment was when I told him I'm like a horse. I have a hard time making correlations/intuitive deductions that two scenarios are the "same". I have to discuss details ad nauseum to come to the conclusion that they're the "same" despite differing facts.

Let me explain. When you work with a horse, you have to teach it through repetition and experience that assorted fences are all okay - a white fence is ok, a blue fence is ok, a wood slat fence is ok, a 4 ft fence is ok, a 6 ft fence is ok, etc. Sometimes it's hard for a horse to realize a white picket 4 ft fence is the same as a 6 ft high black iron fence. After a lot of repetition and experience the horse eventually can lump together "most of these things that look similar are fences" and to no longer be alarmed by new types of fences. Even then, sometimes they'll get hung up on a "new" fence that seems different from all the other fences they've come across and still freak out.

Anyone?

A tad.

It looks what you've posted here is the "weak central coherence" problem in Autism..... Everything is unrelated and you have work out the relationships yourself. The analogies are not obvious.

One of my peeves is knowing or relating to people in one environment ( as in only one set of circumstances), and then suddenly meeting up in a different setting. I then lose my social coherence. It's a though you are starting from scratch......scary and weird.

I have a tincture of it and it crosses over into non-social common sense things. My mother used to say: " Everyday seems like it's your first day on Earth." :lol:

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 6:53 am

This is one of the main reasons I am unable to drive.

patdbunny

24 Oct 2012, 11:13 am

FASCINATING!

Sometimes I feel like an emu, too. Derp face going on and everything. Generally, I bust up laughing because I feel so ridiculous.

And thank you Mdyar for letting me know what it's called.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 12:37 pm

oh yeah, new people always activates the stubborn ass in me :D

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

hmmmm I never thought of myself like a horse before and I didn't know that about horses....but yes I do have to learn things through painstaking repetition and suck at generalizing things so I guess I am like a horse. :lol:

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2012, 1:28 pm

I am a horse on the Chinese Zodiac.... so yeah.... I am a Horse :lol:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Yep, that sounds like me. My mom often says that "every day is a new day" with me. Which means that just because I am taught something one day, week or month does not mean that I'll remember to apply what I learned to that same or similar situations in the future.

same

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

My first full time job was diagnosing faults for a particular consumer ISPs customers. On the first day, a senior employee told us "Don't worry, if you have any questions or want to check anything, just come over and ask me" ...boy, did she regret saying that after two months of my endless questioning.

Alexithymia: 137

patdbunny

07 Feb 2013, 2:31 pm

Following up on this - I'm reading Temple Grandin's Animals in Translation right now. She wrote about a horse that was afraid of black hats. She was impressed the NT owner figured out the specific fear was BLACK hats because NT's aren't hyper-specific, but instead very general.

Kinda funny because my first thought was "How hard is it to figure out the horse is afraid of black hats?"

I've always been able to intuitively look at and figure out in a few minutes what, specifically, bothers my animals.

Never realized this was an "odd" ability. My husband's comment is that perhaps I'm more emotionally an animal than a human.