Unaware of your own facial expressions?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2013, 11:46 am

Hi,

I'm just wondering if people are aware or unaware of the expression on their faces?
I started thinking about this when I noticed how serious my face looks on my ID card for work. I'm sure I was smiling when they took it!

Thank you!

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 11:54 am

yeah I don't know what my face is doing, I keep thinking I look friendly when in fact my face looks grumpy, its strange I don't think my face portrays what I feel

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 12:05 pm

I'm usually aware of my facial expressions unless I'm tired. Sometimes I mimic other people's facial expressions when I'm very tired and don't realize that I'm doing that until they tell me.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 12:09 pm

I hardly ever think about mine, and it's resulted in some strange ones in public. I try to remember, but there is so much to remember that I forget sometimes. It's nice being older though, and it doesn't matter so much. They think I'm just "That strange old lady". :-)

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm

I've greatly improved in this area back in my 20s through having some understanding friends who "taught" me, practicing in front of the mirror, consciously analyzing movies...etc.
Before, improper facial expressions for me were quite common if not rampant - I frequently had people cuing me "are you SURE you want to do such-and-such??" or "are you sure there isn't anything else you want to say?" - not realizing why, and it didn't make sense b/c I'm anything but a shifty person, what with having Aspergers I'm totally honest...but it all began to fall in place when those few people explicitly pointed out my odd facial expression, I was able to put two-and-two together.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2013, 12:50 pm

I'm also unaware unless I'm on display, so to speak, in which case I will use exaggerated expressions based on what I've seen other people do. They're exaggerated because I wouldn't know if I was doing them otherwise.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 2:00 pm

I have no real conscious control over what my face is doing.

Diagnosed in 2005

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 2:08 pm

I am completely unaware unless I am
purposely making a specific facial expression.
And I probably am not doing it right.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 2:22 pm

I didn't realize I had facial tics because nobody told me and I found out when I was in college in a Mass Communications class where we had to do a newscast. :oops:

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 3:02 pm

I am somewhat aware. But I thinks that's to keep ny face in a neutral (plan) expression to try to avoid drawing unwanted attention. As far as making facial expressions go. I am completely unaware of any of those subtle nuances that might land me in trouble in the NT world. So for me. I try to avoid any facial expressions at all whenever possible.

Astera
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Nov 2013, 5:44 am

I'm often unaware of my expressions. Most of the time I look too serious or grumpy. But when I smile, I look stupid. I try to keep my face neutral, but it takes quite a lot of effort.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 7:34 am

I am definitely unaware of my own facial expressions. My autistic friends have trouble controlling their facial expressions too.

MoCoffee
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Nov 2013, 8:22 am

I didn't realize that my "normal" facial expression was so grim until I passed a camera in a store and saw myself on the tv it was hooked up to. I looked downright crabby and scared! Now I have a constant monologue running through my brain when I go out. This voice says "stand up straight, look up, relax your face, and slow down...you don't need to run." I have to keep this conversation going the whole time I'm out, which is really exhausting.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 11:56 am

MoCoffee wrote:
I didn't realize that my "normal" facial expression was so grim until I passed a camera in a store and saw myself on the tv it was hooked up to. I looked downright crabby and scared! Now I have a constant monologue running through my brain when I go out. This voice says "stand up straight, look up, relax your face, and slow down...you don't need to run." I have to keep this conversation going the whole time I'm out, which is really exhausting.

that's the same problem I have, my thinking and normal face looks like I don't want to approached, generally looks grumpy, I don't know how to change that unless I never stop smiling which I don't think is sustainable.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 8:31 am

I'm aware of my facial expression. It's :|. Always.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 12:38 am

I don't know either, leads to meny akward moments and misunderstandings. One thing I have learned that when they say smile for the camera to not do it.