Do you think us former mistreated patients be compensated?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

mrmjb1960
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm

I'm curious to know if you agree with me on this:For many years the Mental and Physical scars the Mental Wards left on me were Traumatic,and then some,including recurring Nightmares,Cold Sweats,Nervousness and physical pain left by neglect and abuse at the hands of these caretakers and employees,not to mention patients,,,Should there be penalties for these against the hospitals,Legal ones? I think there should be..For many years many of us had to suffer quietly! Now,Dare I say,it's time for them to pay back those they'd tortured,Money-Wise! Pony Up Time! Do you agree with this? Should there be a bill proclaiming compensation? I'd like to hear what your views on this is!

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

I've never suffered at the hands of the "mental health" system, but of course, those who have deserve to be compensated.

mrmjb1960
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Mar 2013, 7:35 pm

Kuribo wrote:
I've never suffered at the hands of the "mental health" system, but of course, those who have deserve to be compensated.
Thank You so much for agreeing,Kuribo! The hospitals here never screened their employees in the 60's nor '70's for mental problems or criminal history,just handed them the keys and gave them free passes to do their worst to us! So,a Pedophile or Murderer could be hired,They'd kill a Kid,no one said squat! I've heard they're even worse now-That doesn't sit well with me! I know what it's like being abused by the hands of these Individuals,sadly! :cry:

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

mrmjb1960 wrote:
Kuribo wrote:
Thank You so much for agreeing,Kuribo! The hospitals here never screened their employees in the 60's nor '70's for mental problems or criminal history,just handed them the keys and gave them free passes to do their worst to us! So,a Pedophile or Murderer could be hired,They'd kill a Kid,no one said squat! I've heard they're even worse now-That doesn't sit well with me! I know what it's like being abused by the hands of these Individuals,sadly! :cry:

Perhaps you could start a petition about the issue and post a link in your signature...

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 7:55 pm

mrmjb1960 wrote:
I'm curious to know if you agree with me on this:For many years the Mental and Physical scars the Mental Wards left on me were Traumatic,and then some,including recurring Nightmares,Cold Sweats,Nervousness and physical pain left by neglect and abuse at the hands of these caretakers and employees,not to mention patients,,,Should there be penalties for these against the hospitals,Legal ones? I think there should be..For many years many of us had to suffer quietly! Now,Dare I say,it's time for them to pay back those they'd tortured,Money-Wise! Pony Up Time! Do you agree with this? Should there be a bill proclaiming compensation? I'd like to hear what your views on this is!

I would agree. It amounts to malpractice. I don't know which country you are in, but there are usually a plenitude of no win no fee lawyers who are specifically geared towards medical claims.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:14 pm

Year ago I spent two months at a huge psych hospital in NY. It's been closed for a couple of years now, but when I was there, I actually saw abuse with my own eyes. I was in the shower when I heard a commotion. Peering out, I saw the staff dragging a man in his 60's into the shower room. He didn't want to be showered and it showed. The staff wasn't having that, though. They threw him on the floor. One knelt on his chest while the others pulled his clothes off him. Then, sitting him up, they strong-armed him into a shower stall and turned the water on. "Shut up!" they'd yell as he protested. One of the workers turned and looked at me. I simply retreated back into my shower stall. The thing is, all us patients slept in one big dorm. Any worker had access to us while we were asleep. I didn't say a word fearing a blanket party or worse. The staff were caustic and brutal and none of us dared speak up. We were too intimidated.

On those grounds, I do think former patients should be compensated although, in real life, abuse can be hard to prove way after the fact.

mrmjb1960
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Mar 2013, 8:16 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
mrmjb1960 wrote:

I would agree. It amounts to malpractice. I don't know which country you are in, but there are usually a plenitude of no win no fee lawyers who are specifically geared towards medical claims.
Our Prez needs to push for a Bill to help those who were victimized! They have Laws to Compensate Rape Victims,So why not Hospital Abuse Victims?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:55 pm

Only if you complain loud enough. In order to bring justice you need people to know that there has been a great injustice.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

mrmjb1960
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Mar 2013, 9:06 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Year ago I spent two months at a huge psych hospital in NY. It's been closed for a couple of years now, but when I was there, I actually saw abuse with my own eyes. I was in the shower when I heard a commotion. Peering out, I saw the staff dragging a man in his 60's into the shower room. He didn't want to be showered and it showed. The staff wasn't having that, though. They threw him on the floor. One knelt on his chest while the others pulled his clothes off him. Then, sitting him up, they strong-armed him into a shower stall and turned the water on. "Shut up!" they'd yell as he protested. One of the workers turned and looked at me. I simply retreated back into my shower stall. The thing is, all us patients slept in one big dorm. Any worker had access to us while we were asleep. I didn't say a word fearing a blanket party or worse. The staff were caustic and brutal and none of us dared speak up. We were too intimidated.

On those grounds, I do think former patients should be compensated although, in real life, abuse can be hard to prove way after the fact.
There were several New York Hospitals,Middletown,Rockland County,Grasslands,Creedmore and one more,two of which were closed by Then Governor Nelson Rockerfeller,Middletown in 1970 for Children,and Creedmore for the same,leaving only Rockland,As far as know..Has Rockland also closed,too? All were deplorable in Misuse and conditions,too...We've had two here in Florida close for the same reasons. Additional note:Creedmore's Abuse was filmed,under cover,by ABC's Eyewitness News,then shown that night,People being warned if they were eating,to stop fearing people would be sick! That's how Graphic the footage was!

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

That would require legislative action, or legal if you can show good documentation and credible witnesses. Most of the stories will be hard to prove; it's fairly common knowledge that abuses have happened but records credibility is still a huge problem in determining what happened to who and when. The best that can be hoped for realistically is better safeguards.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

mrmjb1960
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Mar 2013, 10:54 pm

John_Browning wrote:
That would require legislative action, or legal if you can show good documentation and credible witnesses. Most of the stories will be hard to prove; it's fairly common knowledge that abuses have happened but records credibility is still a huge problem in determining what happened to who and when. The best that can be hoped for realistically is better safeguards.
Absolutely,John! It should start with better Background checks for Employees for past Criminal Histories! Why would a Mental ward hire someone they KNOW could bring them,and the system,down? That's about as Stupid as you can get! And,think about the repercussions,especially when we have Survellence cameras all over these places now,something we'd didn't have back then,Sadly! They'd be Idiots to hire them now,I think!

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 11:17 pm

I agree with the OP, though it's not easy to prove the facts and some people who have suffered might not be willing to be involved because the legal battle means even more stress. But yes, I do think those who were mistreated definitely deserve compensation.