I just got a formal diagnosis of AS...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 6:15 pm

... and to be honest, it's probably the best thing that's happened to me in ages. Not only do I have an explanation for why I am the way I am, but I also have been given a potential route out of my job - a job that's totally wrong for me, since it involves having to interact with a bunch of muppet NTs on a daily basis - and a way of perhaps bettering myself to a sufficient degree that I will end up in a better place because of it.

Hooray!

LovingmyAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2007, 6:22 pm

MrSinister wrote:
... and to be honest, it's probably the best thing that's happened to me in ages. Not only do I have an explanation for why I am the way I am, but I also have been given a potential route out of my job - a job that's totally wrong for me, since it involves having to interact with a bunch of muppet NTs on a daily basis - and a way of perhaps bettering myself to a sufficient degree that I will end up in a better place because of it.

Hooray!

That is a GREAT way of looking at your DX. Now you can be YOU! :heart:

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 6:24 pm

That's great news! My diagnosis has definately been a boon for me, it's just a shame it took them 28 years.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 6:25 pm

LovingmyAspie wrote:

One hopes so, yes - if it helps me get the assistance I need to elbow my way out of the rut I've dug for myself, so much the better.

Besides, at least I know now that assimilating useless trivia is something that I can't help :P

andy1976uk wrote:
That's great news! My diagnosis has definately been a boon for me, it's just a shame it took them 28 years.

Well, I've just turned 27, so it's taken a while for me, as well. I just hope that if I get in touch with the right people, I can get where I need to be to escape my craptacular employer...

Last edited by MrSinister on 11 Jan 2007, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LovingmyAspie

11 Jan 2007, 6:28 pm

MrSinister wrote:
LovingmyAspie wrote:

One hopes so, yes - if it helps me get the assistance I need to elbow my way out of the rut I've dug for myself, so much the better.

Besides, at least I know now that assimilating useless trivia is something that I can't help :P

Hey it is NOT useless! you really never know when you might need it! besides there are some NT who appreciate all of that, they are usually the ones that count ;)

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 6:31 pm

LovingmyAspie wrote:
Hey it is NOT useless! you really never know when you might need it! besides there are some NT who appreciate all of that, they are usually the ones that count ;)

It's certainly not useless to me. Facts are awesome, and I love to share them... it's the people I talk to that are usually unresponsive :)

LovingmyAspie

11 Jan 2007, 6:39 pm

MrSinister wrote:
LovingmyAspie wrote:

It's certainly not useless to me. Facts are awesome, and I love to share them... it's the people I talk to that are usually unresponsive :)

Then you are talking to wrong people! I always find my son's facts very interesting! most of his teachers and my friends do too! I am sure you have some very interesting information as well! :)

Heatwave
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2007, 7:15 pm

I haven't had an official diagnosis of AS (I'm writing to my GP), but I have had an independent "speculative diagnosis" from a psychologist at a private hospital. I'm still not sure how to talk to people close to me about Asperger's (I don't feel comfortable with the language yet), and I'm aware that a second opinion might decide I'm NT. It seems likely, though, that I live with AS, and in a way it came as a relief for me to hear that. I've come across accounts from people which make me realise that they suffer from the same anxieties as me, and that there's no need for me to beat myself up over the fact that I sometimes dig myself holes in conversations, or get angry quickly with things I don't agree with.

I've got a Masters degree, and I've always been reasonably bright. I'm also a "good mixer", very sociable and friendly, although sometimes with new people I can drift out of conversations in loud places, and I stutter when I'm not sure of what I'm saying. At work, I can be paranoid of "office politics", feeling it has acted against me in the past. I'm also a hoarder of information on music, sport and science-fiction.

Recently, I fell for a woman I had met in the summer. She invited me to the town where she lived (a long way away) a couple of times, and we had a great time. But when I got home, I found I couldn't get her out of my head. I wished I could hear her voice, and when I played the Blue Nile's "Headlights on the Parade" or Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars", I would well up. We still swap texts, but something's missing. Maybe I got too heavy. But pre-AS diagnosis, I thought I'd upset her, or let things get too far. Now, I see that relationships are often difficult for Aspies, and that all my life experience can be viewed in a positive way, because it has shaped who I am. I just wish I might one day stop learning for a short while, and just kick back and have some fun. Maybe this discovery of AS is the start of something good.