Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

PhilosophicTurtle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2013, 11:40 am

My friends tell me that I'm really strong with my emotions, sometimes so strong that I can't focus or think. I read the source of all truth (Wikipedia) and I think I'm BPD. Do you feel the same way and does this happen to you?

Only 1 1/2 more weeks of school and procrastination.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm

DyspraxicPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2013, 12:09 pm

Are you diagnosed with autism ? I mean, my girlfriend has BPD and on some things we can be very similar (.. then again I'm on the spectrum but not stricly autistic. I don't know). We share a few sensory issues (the noise mostly). And since I'm very sensitive, there's that too.
It seems very hard to diagnose though. Do you have strong mood swings ? Because it seems to me that it is the strongest feature of the disorder, then again since I don't have it I might be wrong and maybe we should wait for someone who knows better than me. Just my two cents..

Your Aspie score: 135 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 70 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 12:43 pm

I sometimes have what I guess is a meltdown with anger. I am remembering a past injustice, I sometimes rapidly rub the back of my neck, and I am more there remembering the event than I am here. And maybe I don't quite see red but it's close.

I self-diagnose myself as being on the Asperger's-Autism Spectrum, and I feel confident that this self-diagnosis is largely correct.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2013, 12:47 pm

I am sure I have it too because I always shift moods. I become silent and robot like when depressed or sad. My mood may instantly change from sad to happy. I will jump and act hyper when happy. Symptoms do improve though. Mine is at least. It helps to think positive thoughts when in distress.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 1:28 pm

PhilosophicTurtle wrote:
My friends tell me that I'm really strong with my emotions, sometimes so strong that I can't focus or think. I read the source of all truth (Wikipedia) and I think I'm BPD. Do you feel the same way and does this happen to you?

Borderline Personality Disorder... I have a friend who is diagnosed with that amongst other diagnoses.
It can be serious.

It's almost impossible to diagnose over the net. We'd have to know so much detail including genetic/familial background as BPD is genetic a lot of the time a mother or father may have it.
BPD involves "Splitting" in which one's thinking would be in extremes black or white (.i.e. good or bad). Nouns can be all bad or all good.
There apparently is no shades of gray or half good or half bad in betweens. It's extremes.

There are 4 subtypes of the BPD personality according to one author:
The Witch
The Waif
The Hermit
The Queen

Here's a link to subtypes by Dr Millon:
According to Wikipedia, psychologist Theodore Millon identified four subtypes of borderline personality disorder (BPD). They are:

discouraged borderline–includes avoidant, depressive or dependent behaviors

impulsive borderline–includes antisocial or approval-seeking behaviors

petulant borderline–includes passive-aggressive behaviors

self-destructive borderline–includes depressive or self-destructive behaviors

A person with BPD may have none, one, or more than one of these subtypes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline ... y_disorder

The above is from wiki, your probably familiar as you mentioned you went on Wiki...

BPD can be serious, with some it involves self harming behaviors such as cutting. Other times it has nearly destroyed families after children have suffered from having a mother who is BPD. They have groups on the net for the children to help them. (Adult children deal with their childhoods).
BPD can be genetic so if one of your parents has the symptoms, yet possibly never got a diagnosis it might make it more likely.
I'm not sure if it's genetic and environmental reasons (being that children would be exposed to the BPD parent growing up)..

You might possibly have Bi-Polar disorder

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:08 pm

I had a friend who takes meds for BPD now. He's okay, but back in the day, my goodness, he swung so far from hot to cold it was like being around a platform that sunk as deep as the Marianas Trench then rose as high as Mount Everest in seconds. You couldn't be around him in his up moods - too erratic and antagonistic. In his low cycles all you could do was pity him because he was suicidally depressed.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2013, 2:35 pm

BPD can be judgemental and instable. They can be pretty agressive or passive agressive as well as very dependent.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:41 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I had a friend who takes meds for BPD now. He's okay, but back in the day, my goodness, he swung so far from hot to cold it was like being around a platform that sunk as deep as the Marianas Trench then rose as high as Mount Everest in seconds. You couldn't be around him in his up moods - too erratic and antagonistic. In his low cycles all you could do was pity him because he was suicidally depressed.

Are you talking about Bipolar or Borderline here?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:55 pm

Bipolar. I thought, though, that it shared traits with Borderline. No?

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 3:06 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Bipolar. I thought, though, that it shared traits with Borderline. No?

The mood swings can be similar I suppose, I just asked because sometimes people talk about "BPD" in a Borderline thread thinking it's about Bipolar. I suppose mood stabilizers are prescribed for both.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 3:16 pm

@Noetic - Thanks for clearing that up. I figured I'd post what I just found that highlights the difference between the two.

How are Bipolar and Borderline Personality Disorder Different?

What is the difference between BPD and bipolar disorder, then? Some major components separate the two. While the disorders are both characterized by mood changes, the quality of the mood changes can be very different. In BPD, mood changes are often more short-lived -- they may last for a few hours at a time. In contrast, mood changes in bipolar disorder tend to last for days or even weeks. Also, mood shifts in BPD are usually in reaction to an environmental stressor (such as an argument with a loved one), whereas mood shifts in bipolar disorder may occur out-of-the-blue. Finally, the mood shifts typical of BPD rarely involve elation -- usually the shift is from feeling upset to feeling "OK," not from feeling bad to feeling a high or elevated mood, which is more typical of bipolar disorder.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 5:10 pm

And aren't meltdowns a characteristic for (most) persons on the Autism Spectrum?

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 12:58 am

Bipolar used to be known as manic depressive. To me that's more descriptive. People who are bipolar cycle, either frequently or as infrequently as once a year, rapidly or slowly, from a manic state in which everything is wonderful, they are king or queen of the world, they feel invincible, they can do anything, they often spend or take risks...to the opposite, the polar opposite, which is crashing depression. Everything is horrible, everything is awful, they feel doomed, nothing ever works out, etc. During the depressive phase they may even feel suicidal. The manic phase can be dangerous as well due to the risk taking. They might gamble or they might race down the freeway.

Sometimes bipolar people can have an episode in which they take on a savior role in their mind and feel a need to rescue someone that doesn't even need rescuing. Actress Patty Duke had this when she got in her car and was convinced her son was in danger and she had to go save him. But it was all her imagination; he was perfectly fine.

Some types of bipolar people are toward the schizophrenic end of the spectrum, and can sometimes hallucinate.

Bipolar can also be comparatively mild, with people having simple bursts of energy and feelign good for no reason, and then cycling back to feeling depressed for no real reason. But they may not show the other extremes of behavior.

Borderline personality can have some of the following symptoms: Simple thinking seeing the world and especially people in black or white. Good or bad. That can change back and forth depending if they feel you have let them down somehow. They can also change their identity based on who they are around. They don't feel a real sense of core identity. They feel insecure and think everyone will leave them. Out of fear of that, they unconsciously test people to see if they will leave. Some of their symptoms can seem manic such as over spending or promiscuity. Not all borderlines display all traits.

Hope that helped.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2013, 6:48 am

Popsicle wrote:
Bipolar used to be known as manic depressive. To me that's more descriptive. People who are bipolar cycle, either frequently or as infrequently as once a year, rapidly or slowly, from a manic state in which everything is wonderful, they are king or queen of the world, they feel invincible, they can do anything, they often spend or take risks...to the opposite, the polar opposite, which is crashing depression. Everything is horrible, everything is awful, they feel doomed, nothing ever works out, etc. During the depressive phase they may even feel suicidal. The manic phase can be dangerous as well due to the risk taking. They might gamble or they might race down the freeway.

Sometimes bipolar people can have an episode in which they take on a savior role in their mind and feel a need to rescue someone that doesn't even need rescuing. Actress Patty Duke had this when she got in her car and was convinced her son was in danger and she had to go save him. But it was all her imagination; he was perfectly fine.

Some types of bipolar people are toward the schizophrenic end of the spectrum, and can sometimes hallucinate.

Bipolar can also be comparatively mild, with people having simple bursts of energy and feelign good for no reason, and then cycling back to feeling depressed for no real reason. But they may not show the other extremes of behavior.

Borderline personality can have some of the following symptoms: Simple thinking seeing the world and especially people in black or white. Good or bad. That can change back and forth depending if they feel you have let them down somehow. They can also change their identity based on who they are around. They don't feel a real sense of core identity. They feel insecure and think everyone will leave them. Out of fear of that, they unconsciously test people to see if they will leave. Some of their symptoms can seem manic such as over spending or promiscuity. Not all borderlines display all traits.

Hope that helped.

Probably excitable people.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm

Generally yes unless in a depressed phase in which case they can be very lethargic.