Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Buxcador
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jun 2013, 9:52 pm

I made 2 friends when I was in school.

We studied the same things, so we shared time, and had common things to do, so we were friends, even when I was poor at small talk, because my poor social skills were camouflaged by the activities.

It ended and each one of my friends moved to another city.

I feel like the friendship ended. To me, a far away "friend" is like a lost friend. Not a real friend. ¿Is this common for aspies?

Sometimes they contact me, but his messages just look like small talk. I don't know what to do about it. I know that they expect me to feed the talk, but I can't do it.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

Buxcador wrote:
I made 2 friends when I was in school.

We studied the same things, so we shared time, and had common things to do, so we were friends, even when I was poor at small talk, because my poor social skills were camouflaged by the activities.

It ended and each one of my friends moved to another city.

I feel like the friendship ended. To me, a far away "friend" is like a lost friend. Not a real friend. ¿Is this common for aspies?

Sometimes they contact me, but his messages just look like small talk. I don't know what to do about it. I know that they expect me to feed the talk, but I can't do it.

Yes, friends drift apart all the time because either they change or their circumstances do. If it is any consolation, I think this is just as true for NT's as it is for us.

It is possible to have friends who are far away though. One of my best friends is in Scotland and I'm in Texas.

Last edited by Thelibrarian on 07 Jun 2013, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 10:06 pm

The friends I have don't live near me at all. We stay in contact via Facebook mostly, and get together once or twice a year. We've known each other since childhood though, and fall in where we left off when we do see each other.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 10:14 pm

my closest best friend is 3 counties north of me. it is an all-day drive to get to his place. my other best best friend [my fiancée] is 1,400 miles away from me now.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 10:28 pm

I have a hard time with the definition of friend sometimes... I don't like to downgrade the people I've drifted apart from, so I will always call them my "friend", but, generally I do have a hard time keeping in touch with people and/or reaching out to them.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 11:51 pm

Almost word-for-word, my entire lifetime has culminated in the initial post, even falling out of touch with relatively close relatives. Ironically my latest real friend lives on the other side of the world from me, though we did meet through WP in the first place

Earth
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jun 2013, 2:21 am

Most of my friends are far away friends, facebook friends, people i meet as i travel and may never meet again.
I'm fine with that because we can catch up without needing to do meals, coffees, social niceties, etc