Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AllieEdgin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm

I've looking things up for the last 2 months, and I think I have Aspergers. I took a good test online, and it said I'm half Nero half Aspie. I'll tell you some of the symptoms/actions I have that are related to Aspergers.
-I was a very quiet child (I'm 15 now). In preschool teachers had to make me play with the other kids. In elementary school, I had very little friends, and I sort of wanted to talk to new people, but it's like I didn't know how.
-I have trouble answering the door/phone if I don't who it is. I've gotten better at it a bit, but I used to not want to order my own food at all from places, and the idea of drivesthroughs at food places still make me nervous.
-I notice the most easy ways to do things like shortcuts are harder for me, and I sometimes tend to do things the more complicated way, it being easier.
- I don't have very vast interests. I love Astrology, looking at maps, and I LOVE talking about health. Being a kid's health teacher about the body sounds cool.
-When I get excited or over stimulated but in a happy way, I notice I flap my hands. I also have this thing where I rub my fingers together a lot or blink many times in a row til it feels right. I sometimes make weird sounds.
-When I was little, I had my mom cut all the tags off my shirts by the neck because I could feel it scratch me and it hurt.
-Now if I hear deep booming sounds like loud bass at concerts or my dad talking loudly in the car, it makes my ears ache.
-I've always held my pencil weirdly, and my teachers always complain about my handwriting.
- I slouch a lot and find it easier to sit up if I sit on the floor(bad posture problems)
- I was in a speech help class from Kindergarten to 3rd grade.
-I sympathise with animals sometimes better than with humans.
-I always like putting things in my mouth or find myself smelling them randomly. Mouthing things relaxes me also.
-I sometimes have trouble identifying sarcasm.
-I notice that when I watch movies like Saw or something, I show my discomfort by sort of smiling and slightly laughing? Even tho I don't find it funny.
- I've been having these mood swings and I'm prone to moodiness and slight depression.
-People always say that they find me to be a quiet person. When I warm up to you, I never stop talking about my favorite things though.
-I HATE when people stand behind me.
I think there are more, but this is what came to my mind.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 6:35 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

Many of the traits you listed are traits associated with an autistic spectrum disorder (if you are to get a diagnosis, it would likely be 'autism spectrum disorder,' as Asperger's Syndrome was removed from the latest DSM). It is also possible that you have social anxiety combined with dyspraxia combined with sensory integration and/or stereotypic behaviour disorder; the combination of these, however, also points towards the autistic spectrum (or, at the very least, the Broad Autism Phenotype).

Many people here will tell you that only a qualified psychologist, psychiatrist, or neurologist can give you an official diagnosis. However, many people here will tell you that the diagnosis is irrelevant and that one can still be a part of the "autistic community" and use the knowledge of the autism spectrum, its traits and difficulties, and how to overcome some of the difficult parts to one's advantage without having any particular diagnosis.

In any case, best of health, happiness, and prosperity to you!

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 7:13 pm

WerewolfPoet wrote:
Many people here will tell you that only a qualified psychologist, psychiatrist, or neurologist can give you an official diagnosis. However, many people here will tell you that the diagnosis is irrelevant and that one can still be a part of the "autistic community" and use the knowledge of the autism spectrum, its traits and difficulties, and how to overcome some of the difficult parts to one's advantage without having any particular diagnosis.

If you think that these symptoms create insurmountable issues in your life, then I (and I think many might agree) do recommend seeking an official diagnosis that will help you explain yourself better to others and, especially at your age, allow you access to a lot of resources to strengthen these areas.
If these symptoms aren't really distressing and you just want to start figuring yourself out (nothing wrong with that either...), then a professional diagnosis can help, but isn't necessarily required. A lot of the advice that's shared around here is helpful whether you have a diagnosis or not.

Welcome to Wrong Planet! It's a great community to be a part of!