The Neurological Difference Between Autistic's/Neurotypicals

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Does Darwinian evolution favor the autistic brain?
No 59%  59%  [ 13 ]
Yes 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Maybe 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Replace this site's mascot with a picture of Moon 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 22

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 11:00 pm

Autistic's tend to have larger brains. It's time people wake up to reality.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShD72mfYqUM[/youtube]
Neurotypicals simply have smaller brains. Meaning... And for the record, not only is my skull larger than my father's but my father is also dumb enough to say "Obama is a Muslim sympathizing ******" meaning my intelligence also correlates positively with my larger skull. The correlation is accurate and I think from a Darwinian point of view, autistic's will take over the population in a few more centuries. What need is there to love one's family when you have logic and reasoning? The human race was going to evolve into a species of people who discard their instincts for logic and this is what we're seeing. All speculation but really, normal people can't sense as well, can't think as well, and seem to kill eachother(Iraq War, World War's).

Last edited by MoonCanvas on 01 Jul 2013, 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 11:03 pm

What reality do you think having a larger brain entails? And who is supposed to wake up to this reality?

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 11:10 pm

one-A-N wrote:
What reality do you think having a larger brain entails? And who is supposed to wake up to this reality?

It can have many things. The people who's large brains are unstable will die out, while those who's large brains can be used on a practical basis should thrive. We're already seeing it, autistic's have autistic children. There's no telling what world of possibility we can have when the normal people are gone. Time travel, selectively breeding animals into intelligent species, cultivating Mars. This is one hell of a crackpipe theory but this may be our future.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jul 2013, 11:32 pm

Larger brains don't correlate to higher intelligence. No one really has a firm correlation. There are correlations with parts of the brain and certain cognitive functions, but "bigger brain = smarter" is not a valid conclusion.

Also, humanity isn't going to become autistic as a whole unless something so drastically changes that autistic people are the most able to survive and reproduce.

Also, autistic people are not necessarily superior to NTs. I am not saying that NTs are necessarily superior either, but I think going down the "Aspies Uber Alles" rabbit hole is a terrible idea.

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Larger brains don't correlate to higher intelligence. No one really has a firm correlation. There are correlations with parts of the brain and certain cognitive functions, but "bigger brain = smarter" is not a valid conclusion.

Also, humanity isn't going to become autistic as a whole unless something so drastically changes that autistic people are the most able to survive and reproduce.

Also, autistic people are not necessarily superior to NTs. I am not saying that NTs are necessarily superior either, but I think going down the "Aspies Uber Alles" rabbit hole is a terrible idea.

I was also going to propose that because I was diagnosed but tested superior in cognitive empathy and am gifted in physical abilities that I'm the prototype for the future race. [mod edit of the dark joke]

Sieanna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2013, 11:40 pm

I've seen children with Aspergers Sydrome flap their hands like a bird. I've also seen children with just a diagnose of autism, do this also especially when they are upset or excited about something. I havnt noticed children with out this diagnosis do this. I think people with Aspergers are sometimes seen the same as other children or neurotypicals when they have similar traits to a typical autistic person

Last edited by Sieanna on 01 Jul 2013, 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 11:42 pm

Verdandi wrote:

You're right though, larger brains don't always correlate to higher intelligence. In my opinion a large brain that doesn't correlate positively with intellect is a brain that is unstable and disorganized. I think those are being weeded out in favor of the large brains that can organize itself effectively and work more efficient than that of normal people.

For now "bigger brain = smarter" is not a valid conclusion, but when comparing Asians whom have high cultural achievements and them having the largest brains on the planet, they could have undergone some kind of transformation that we're seeing here. So race-to-race has the correlation but when comparing one's own race's group of people the correlation is less strong.

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jul 2013, 11:54 pm

So you could not scientifically disprove ASD so you accepted it and decided it was scientifically superior?

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 11:58 pm

IdleHands wrote:
So you could not scientifically disprove ASD so you accepted it and decided it was scientifically superior?

False. I think it holds evolutionary advantages and is therefore not a disorder. Whether or not someone has a disorder depends on their needs, not just in fitting the criteria. My rejection of the diagnosis I was given was due to the fact I had no needs, no impairments.

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jul 2013, 12:03 am

I have said myself that people are communicating face to face less as technology increases, so maybe. I have 2 kids on the high functioning side, so I hope so.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 12:16 am

My cerebral cortex is the area of the combined surface areas of all the individual hairs on my verry merry berry fluffy catatar.

That had bester be a huge number, Smuggy (my catatar).

themrjason
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2013, 12:40 am

I would almost go into a different direction and say that the way our brains are wired for a time before civilization with prehistoric man. NT's brains are almost the evoluntionary response to our large cities and constant interaction with others. Follow me on this. Common traits among people with AS are we have hypersensitivies, an inability to put our minds at a resting state, difficulty showing empathy, difficulty picking up social cues, above average intelligence, etc.

Hypersensitivies seem to me like a way to stay alert and sense danger at a time when human beings were still prey. Being able to hear, smell and see things that NT's wouldn't normally pick up on.

I have a terrible time putting my mind to rest and am a very light sleeper. Being a light sleeper and being more alert while you were asleep would have been a huge advantage if you were sleeping in the wilderness.

Empathy and being able to pick up social cues of others would have been pointless at a time when socializing would have been a rare occasion.

Of coarse, above average intelligence would have been neccesary in a time without technology.

Not the best arguement for a counter view of the current evolutionary advantage theory but I think y'all get the point that someone with AS would have been better suited 10000yrs ago. Just my personal opinion.

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2013, 12:53 am

themrjason wrote:
I would almost go into a different direction and say that the way our brains are wired for a time before civilization with prehistoric man. NT's brains are almost the evoluntionary response to our large cities and constant interaction with others. Follow me on this. Common traits among people with AS are we have hypersensitivies, an inability to put our minds at a resting state, difficulty showing empathy, difficulty picking up social cues, above average intelligence, etc.

Hypersensitivies seem to me like a way to stay alert and sense danger at a time when human beings were still prey. Being able to hear, smell and see things that NT's wouldn't normally pick up on.

I have a terrible time putting my mind to rest and am a very light sleeper. Being a light sleeper and being more alert while you were asleep would have been a huge advantage if you were sleeping in the wilderness.

Empathy and being able to pick up social cues of others would have been pointless at a time when socializing would have been a rare occasion.

Of coarse, above average intelligence would have been neccesary in a time without technology.

Not the best arguement for a counter view of the current evolutionary advantage theory but I think y'all get the point that someone with AS would have been better suited 10000yrs ago. Just my personal opinion.

Okay, it makes sense. So basically my brain is type B but came without the usual negative impact. We could still rapidly evolve if I'm any indication but your post has shown me how normal people have thrived.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 1:38 am

Also, being smarter is not necessarily adaptive in Darwinian terms. If it was always adaptive to be smart, then most animals would be at least on par with us for intelligence.

Intelligence is metabolically expensive. A substantial proportion of the energy we consume goes into keeping our brains running (this is why things like severe hypoglycemia, anoxia, or other serious metabolic crises often cause brain damage). We need to eat a lot of energy-rich foods to keep our brains running.

If you're a grass-eater like a wildebeest, for example, you're eating large quantities of low-energy, hard-to-digest food. It's hard to afford a good brain on that diet. And as long as you're smart enough to navigate the challenges of your lifestyle, extra intelligence is not going to help. That's why wildebeest are stupid animals - the life of a wildebeest doesn't take much intelligence, and they can't afford the expense of a good brain.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 1:44 am

Quote:
but when comparing Asians whom have high cultural achievements and them having the largest brains on the planet

Actually, higher intelligence among Asians is purely cultural. If you look at Asian-born children who were adopted early in infancy by Western parents, they score no higher on IQ or academic achievement than white kids from their adopted country. Asian parents tend to place a strong emphasis on academics and push kids to use more of their potential than Western parents do. For example, the frequency and intensity of studying is higher among Asian students, even at a young age.

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2013, 2:03 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
but when comparing Asians whom have high cultural achievements and them having the largest brains on the planet

Actually, higher intelligence among Asians is purely cultural. If you look at Asian-born children who were adopted early in infancy by Western parents, they score no higher on IQ or academic achievement than white kids from their adopted country. Asian parents tend to place a strong emphasis on academics and push kids to use more of their potential than Western parents do. For example, the frequency and intensity of studying is higher among Asian students, even at a young age.

I agree with you but it also highlights the flaws in an IQ test. An IQ test should not relate to one's knowledge, rather it should relate to one's cognitive abilities, and this is why I disagree so heavily with vocabulary and other knowledge based tests being involved in evaluation. Organizing vocabulary words is an intelligence but the extent of one's vocabulary biases this.

Otherwise, I might just say that claiming there's no truly superior intellectual race, is just spinning science to be socially appropriate. And if we're both wrong about IQ tests being partially culturally dependent, then how much one studies is an irrelevant concept in regards to the evaluation scores of Asians, indicating they are the smartest race.