Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm

Okay. Maybe I'm just being paranoid here, but I could swear my neighbors hurry up, put out their cigarettes and go back inside when they see me drive up.

Sometimes they go quiet as I walk past them on the way to the corner store.

Intermittently, one would say hi, but obviously that's just out of politeness.

If society wasn't so PC, they'd just ignore me altogether.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 7:52 pm

I am sorry to hear that your neighbors act that way towards you, I don't think your being paranoid just perceptive. I on the other hand I have the opposite problem I seem to attract my neighbors and I just want to be left alone.

Last edited by hyksos55 on 15 Jul 2013, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildcoyotedancer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2013, 8:23 pm

I am also of the every time I leave the house I hope none of my neighbors are out as if they are they always talk to me and insist on making small talk. I hate small talk and don't do it well at all!

Personality: INFP

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 8:34 pm

I know what you mean, OP. That happens to me not only in my neighborhood but also wherever I go regularly (shops, cafes, work etc). I believe it's simply because I am weird and they find my presence uncomfortable. If the situation forces me to interact with/get to know them too much, then their discomfort with me turns into dislike/hostility.

So I'm sorry to say but I think there is a good chance that your neighbors are bitching about their "weird neighbor".

AinsleyHarte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2013, 9:29 pm

This happened to me all of the time when I lived in my last apartment in Seattle. I lived in a building where people smoked in the outdoor stairwell that lead to the street, and whenever I'd come down the stairs, they would all go silent and pick up their phones and pretend to be texting.

Sadly, when people are facing away from you and pretending to be texting while you're talking towards them down the stairs, you can see that they are clearly just tapping at their phones and not doing much of anything. I mean, just because I'm weird doesn't mean I'm not observant.

Aspie score: 180 / 200 - NT score: 25 / 200
Aloof: 112 / Rigid: 109 / Pragmatic: 117
AQ: 47

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 9:33 pm

My neighbors don't avoid me enough! I wish they would take their stupid dogs, their stinky cigarettes, their whiny brats, and just go inside and stay there!

AinsleyHarte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2013, 9:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
My neighbors don't avoid me enough! I wish they would take their stupid dogs, their stinky cigarettes, their whiny brats, and just go inside and stay there!

That's how I feel about where I currently live. Our house is the only one on the block that isn't over-populated with children. These kids run the street like a deranged child-gang on bicycles. They also have no respect for other peoples' property and are almost always in our yard, breaking branches off the trees, digging holes, leaving garbage strewn about, or trying to get in our garage. The sad part is, they are as young as four or five and doing this. Their parents are too drunk and busy fighting and smoking to care, and often let their large semi-aggressive dogs wander the neighborhood (several kids have been bitten.)

It's just awful.

Aspie score: 180 / 200 - NT score: 25 / 200
Aloof: 112 / Rigid: 109 / Pragmatic: 117
AQ: 47

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2013, 9:50 pm

I only wish my neighbours would ignore me... Everytime I see one of them, they insist on having a chat with me. I don't care about the weather ot how the flowers are looking... Even worse, I know they are talking crap about me when I'm not around; I can hear them clearly from my bedroom window on the second floor facing the yard.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 10:05 pm

its the opposite for me, I avoid them

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2013, 10:14 pm

I purposely avoid any acknowledgement of my neighbors when I come and go. One less "how are you" to deal with. Now they all just look at me strange like I'm a serial killer, especially the ex New York cop across the street. This works great for me because I have no relationship with them at all; I dont even know their names.

My wife is very social so she deals with them from time to time and acts all bubbly "how are you" and they waste their life with such and such this and such and such that, and I walk inside with my head down making no eye contact.

Basically, my relationship with my neighbors could not be better!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 10:24 pm

Thankfully I usually don't have to say more to my neighbors than 'hi'. I honestly don't know if they avoid/ignore me, I'm too busy avoiding and discouraging them to notice. It's hard to know if anyone is looking down or away when I'm doing it myself.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 1:54 am

For the most part, yes... unless they want me to try fixing something of theirs. :roll:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 2:31 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Okay. Maybe I'm just being paranoid here, but I could swear my neighbors hurry up, put out their cigarettes and go back inside when they see me drive up.

Sometimes they go quiet as I walk past them on the way to the corner store.

Intermittently, one would say hi, but obviously that's just out of politeness.

If society wasn't so PC, they'd just ignore me altogether.

The neighbours to our left really obviously dislike me. And the feeling is mutual. There have been things they have done, underhand, surreptitious things, and just after one incident in particular, the person who I know did it, looked in that so-o-o obvious sidelong way at me (guilty conscience) as I pulled the car into the driveway. In that period of time his daughter also looked and then very overly-quickly looked the opposite way. They must be thick if they think I wouldn't know it was them. The woman walked past yesterday whilst I was at the doorway and glanced up and immediately looked away without saying a word. I don't want to talk to them anyway - although I've never said or done anything to them or their property, they are council-house chavs and I regularly hear the man ranting through the wall. The other side are weird foreigners who let their toddler walk naked around their garden for any pervert to see from their windows and sit there smoking in a group so I have to shut the windows, and have late night parties. So overall, I detest my neighbours and wish we had the money to move.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 2:56 am

EmberEyes wrote:
I only wish my neighbours would ignore me... Everytime I see one of them, they insist on having a chat with me. I don't care about the weather ot how the flowers are looking... Even worse, I know they are talking crap about me when I'm not around; I can hear them clearly from my bedroom window on the second floor facing the yard.

That's the pits. So snide and nasty, and sad to say typical NT behaviour. Pretend to like you and then talk behind your back. Snakes.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 4:08 am

Dialectical. They avoid me, I avoid them, it's a loop.

EQ: 6.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:09 am

I don't see the problem.