There are so many contradictory AS stereotypes.

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2007, 4:42 pm

There's the stereotype that we have low self-esteem and think our lives are worse than everyone else's, and then there's the stereotype that we're snobs who think we're too good for everyone else.
There's the stereotype that we respond to questions with a terse "yes" or "no" answer, and then there's the stereotype that we give unnecessarily lengthy answers to everything.
There's the stereotype that we're completely emotionless, and then there's the stereotype that we're all just a bunch of whiners.
There's the stereotype that we're usually apathetic, and then there's the stereotype that we get annoyed over every little thing.
There's the stereotype that we don't try hard enough to make others like us, and then there's the stereotype that we try too hard to make others like us.
There's the stereotype that all we're good at is rote memorization, and then there's the stereotype that we're highly creative thinkers.

And these are only a few examples of contradictory AS stereotypes!

At this board I've seen examples of both stereotypes in each of these cases, even though they're exact opposites.

The point is, as much as some of you sometimes like to pretend all Aspies are similar, we're all very different and sometimes we're exact opposites. In fact, it's even possible that some of us are as different from each other as we are from NTs.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 4:52 pm

I agree 100%.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kayetes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2007, 4:54 pm

good one!

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2007, 5:00 pm

Individuals are always very different, NT or AS. Stereotypes just plain suck in every way.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 5:00 pm

One view I had from a professional that most of the time, aspies are incapable of discovering that they have AS by themselves.

Faceless
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2007, 5:02 pm

Dart wrote:
There's the stereotype that we have low self-esteem and think our lives are worse than everyone else's

Could people then stereotype us as emo not knowing about AS? I've seen it.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 5:03 pm

OK, These are misunderstandings that have affected my whole life!

1. Low self esteem? HOW do people get this idea! I NEVER had low self esteem!

2. Snobs? It SOUNDED like it, but NO! I was helpful. Sorry nobody could accept that!

3. I RARELY gave a terse yes/no. It is more likely as of about 12 years ago, because one guy wanted ME to do all the mental work so HE could get the credit for EVERYTHING. Still, ask me how I am feeling, or if I want X, etc... And I may give a terse answer because there is no point in saying more.

4. Emotionless? I SEEMED that way, but really wasn't.

5. Nobody gets upset over EVERYTHING, but anyone will over some.

6. HOW would they know how hard we try? I HAVE tried a lot. Most would say I haven't. I have spent time, money, effort, etc... I have been in multiple cultures, etc...

7. I am LOUSY with rote! Pattern, episodic are a LOT easier. and I don't parrot! Have you seen references to rote HERE?

BTW I went to regular schools, etc... Nobody ever knew I had such a condition.

They might not be contradictory at all!

Steve

Faceless
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2007, 5:07 pm

Dart wrote:
There's the stereotype that we're completely emotionless.

BS.

Hell, I was tearing up during the speaches at Steve Irwin's public memorial services on TV.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 5:10 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
One view I had from a professional that most of the time, aspies are incapable of discovering that they have AS by themselves.

I don't think that's true. I figured it out when I was writing about two characters with it. I'd been writing about them for awhile when i finally went and did some research on it for them, only to read and go, Hey! That's me! I really wasn't dropped off by Aliens at birth. Bummer!

It was kind of the same feeling I had when I found out my brothers were only joking and I actually belonged to my parents.

Anyway, I took the test and scored way up there. 172, which was higher than a lot of people on here. I found that interesting.

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

SteveK wrote:

2. Snobs? It SOUNDED like it, but NO! I was helpful. Sorry nobody could accept that!

3. I RARELY gave a terse yes/no. It is more likely as of about 12 years ago, because one guy wanted ME to do all the mental work so HE could get the credit for EVERYTHING. Still, ask me how I am feeling, or if I want X, etc... And I may give a terse answer because there is no point in saying more.

6. HOW would they know how hard we try? I HAVE tried a lot. Most would say I haven't. I have spent time, money, effort, etc... I have been in multiple cultures, etc...

7. I am LOUSY with rote! Pattern, episodic are a LOT easier. and I don't parrot! Have you seen references to rote HERE?

Steve

Like I said, they're all just stereotypes. They're true in some cases (which is how most stereotypes are born), but they're definitely not true in all cases or even most cases.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

I'm a really emotional person, always have been. Just not about the stupid crap that upsets most people.

I feel like I embody most of those sets of stereotypes at the same time somehow.

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2007, 5:11 pm

Faceless wrote:
Dart wrote:
There's the stereotype that we're completely emotionless.

BS.

Hell, I was tearing up during the speaches at Steve Irwin's public memorial services on TV.

Exactly. You're an example of why that stereotype simply isn't always true. Although I'd say that the stereotype about being emotionless is often true for me - I rarely ever feel either happiness or sadness these days.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 5:19 pm

Dart wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve

Like I said, they're all just stereotypes. They're true in some cases (which is how most stereotypes are born), but they're definitely not true in all cases or even most cases.

REREAD my post! They would say it is TRUE of me! Some stereotypes are created by IDIOTS that see something and extrapolate conclusions without doing ANY testing, or asking!

Steve

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2007, 5:21 pm

SteveK wrote:
Dart wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve

REREAD my post! They would say it is TRUE of me! Some stereotypes are created by IDIOTS that see something and extrapolate conclusions without doing ANY testing, or asking!

Steve

I've had some of the stereotypes erroneously applied to me too, just based on a few seconds of social interaction in some cases.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 5:22 pm

I think the reason for it being a stereotype is that they don't understand fully our condition.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 5:27 pm

My belief is that if you want to konw what AS is, wander around WP for a while. Do not expect an NT "expert" to get it right.
And what it is like to be an aspie, cannot even be stated - what is it like to be a specific aspie, that makes sense.
And all persons are contradictory. This is because each potential human behaviour makes sense in some situation (including the inner situ of who a person is), and not in others.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button